It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2004, 02:44 PM   #1

cajunmommy HB User
Angry Toothache on tooth that had root canal 2 yrs ago

This is a long and gross post, but I need some opinions. I had a root canal 2 yrs ago and for the last week it has been hurting. Can't chew on that side and can feel my heart beat in it. Last night I decided to wash with hot salt water and after I did that puss started coming out of the gum around the tooth. I had some antibotics left from last dental appointment so I started taking them. Can anyone tell me why this might be happening on a tooth that I had a root canal. I guess I need to call the denist first thing monday morning.

Thank you for your help

Old 10-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #2

taylormade HB User
Re: Toothache on tooth that had root canal 2 yrs ago

OH Cajun Mommy, I feel for you! Root canals have caused me a lot of money, pain. I have had several teeth root canalled over the years. Two of them needed re-treatment, and the retreatment did not help. I had an apicoectomy (direct drill to the root to scrape out the infection) and that was very expensive and painful and didn't help, I had to pull the tooth anyway. One retreatment only lasted a year or so, so I opted to have that tooth pulled as well.

You see, the bone is so pourous, the infection in many people never clears, and what you are experiencing is the infection eating away at the surrounding bone and the pressure is pushing the tooth out of your mouth. Even though the tooth is dead, the pain you feel is from the rampant infection.

If I were you I would have that thing pulled asap, infection in bone, especially in your head, is not a healthy thing. Retreatment in my case was very very painful, very expensive, and did not help. You will feel so much better when that thing is out of your mouth, believe me! Having it pulled will be a breeze, but then you may want to replace it with a bridge, or implant. I have been OK thru the years without two large molars on the bottom of my mouth.

In the meantime, try putting a garlic clove (peeled, not punctured) on the place where the puss is coming out, a piece of cotton on the other side to protect your gum. The "allicin" in the garlic is a very potent antibiotic. Try and keep it there as long as you can, it does work!

Best wishes to you, post how it's going, OK?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 11:40 AM   #3

align HB User

I had the same experience with one molar, this tooth went through a lot such as root canal, apic......etc, I went through a lot of pain and wasted a lot of money. For the past few years, every dentist visit was mostly about that one tooth. Finally a few weeks ago, I went through the pain on that tooth, I never had that kind of pain in my whole life, and the worst of all, the pain happened during a long weekend ...... So you know the result, it was removed. Oh my gosh, I should've removed that thing a few years old ...... It gave me so much trouble. I am through invisalign now, after it is done I am planning to implant. My sister has an implant, it is real good.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:50 PM   #4

Ramsy HB User

I had the same problem with one of my molars. My second upper molar was causing me alot of lumps and imfections. And that side of my face always swollen and full of acne. I finally went to the dentist to have it checked out .He ofcourse offered me a root canal; but it was expensive and i could not afford it! So he said best option then is to remove it because even with a root canal its not a guarantee that the infection would go away. so went ahead with it . and it was well worth it. I not longer need to worry about pain and swolleness and that size of my face has cleared up and no longer is lumpy! Now I am just waiting for my wisdom tooth to come inn and fill in the missing space.
I say do it!

Old 10-12-2004, 07:21 PM   #5

align HB User

I think you should remove it. You'll feel much better.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:44 PM   #6

koko HB User

hey sweetie, did you ever have a permenant crown put over that tooth? Root canals work temporarilly usually, the length of time varies from person to person, they're usually a temporary fix for people who don't wish to have their tooth extracted. Although they relieve pain and save the tooth, but in the long run they usually start acting up again and eventually have to be pulled at least that's been my experience. you should first try to re-treat the RC, but if you don't want to be bothered with that just have it removed and get a bridge in place of that tooth to fill the space.

[Please do not list your professional title, as this is peer support only. Please re-read board guidelines. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 10-15-2004 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Removed professional title

Closed Thread