It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2004, 05:44 PM   #1

ldl HB User
Wisdom teeth - can they cause neck pain, facial pain & headaches?

About 10 years ago, I had my two lower wisdom teeth removed. They were both impacted and causing me much pain. Once they were removed, I was fine.

Today, I suffer from chronic facial pain, neck pain & some headaches. I went to see a dentist today who is familiar with TMJ as this was the ENT's recommendation. He said that my two upper wisdom teeth could be the cause of all my pain. They are both fully in and a little bit crooked pointing away from my molars. But I don't feel pain when I touch the wisdom teeth. I feel intense pain when I press the gum all the way above my wisdom teeth -where it meets the inside of my cheek. He said that he has seen wisdom teeth cause a lot of "referred" pain and it makes sense to have them removed. He referred me to an oral surgeon that I plan to visit on Friday.

Is anyone suffering from similar pain? Did removing your wisdom teeth provide relief?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

Old 10-14-2004, 09:12 AM   #2
(male)

HPS2 HB User
Re: Wisdom teeth - can they cause neck pain, facial pain & headaches?

It's hard to say if they are the cause of your problems... I had 4 wisdom teeth extracted 13 days ago. One turned out to be infected even though it never showed on any x-rays or routine exams. I suffered a pretty regular routing of lower neck pain, headaches and even swollen neck glands for no apparent reason. My physicals were always normal - nothing ever to indicate that my teeth were the cause. After having them removed I haven't had ANY neck pain, no more almost daily headaches, or swollen glands. Now, this could be the "placebo effect" kicking in, but I really think that my impacted/infected tooth was the culprit. It's just hard to tell if getting yours out will solve your problems, but it couldn't hurt!! Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2004, 10:00 AM   #3

ldl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS2
It's hard to say if they are the cause of your problems... I had 4 wisdom teeth extracted 13 days ago. One turned out to be infected even though it never showed on any x-rays or routine exams. I suffered a pretty regular routing of lower neck pain, headaches and even swollen neck glands for no apparent reason. My physicals were always normal - nothing ever to indicate that my teeth were the cause. After having them removed I haven't had ANY neck pain, no more almost daily headaches, or swollen glands. Now, this could be the "placebo effect" kicking in, but I really think that my impacted/infected tooth was the culprit. It's just hard to tell if getting yours out will solve your problems, but it couldn't hurt!! Good luck.

Old 10-14-2004, 10:04 AM   #4

ldl HB User

Thanks for the reply. Were any of your wisdom teeth impacted?

I went to see the oral surgeon today on an emergency visit as I did not want to wait until Friday. I explained my pain to him and he did some poking around. His opinion was that my two remaining top wisdom teeth were the culprit. So I had them removed - I don't think they were infected and I am praying this will be the end of the pain.

Any other input is appreciated.

Old 10-14-2004, 02:45 PM   #5
(male)

HPS2 HB User

Yes, 2 of my teeth were severly impacted. I hope the removal of your 2 teeth eliminated your pain! Good luck.

Old 10-19-2004, 07:33 PM   #6

ldl HB User

It's been 4 days now since the removal. I am still in pain. The worst is when I wake up - the area feels SO sore. Is it too early for all of the pain to go away?

Closed Thread