It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2004, 02:26 PM   #1

jerseydawg HB User
Question Question about numbing tooth for filling

I went in last week to have a filling replaced as it was old and there was slight decay around a part was worn. This is my lower right molar--very last tooth on bottom--wisdom tooth is gone. The dentist gave me 1 shot and that particular tooth did not feel numb but the teeth in front of it and my lower lip were numb. So, he gives me another shot and begins drilling. I could still feel the drilling so he gives me another shot. After the 4th shot, I STILL could feel the drilling in one spot. Now the other teeth on the bottom were COMPLETELY numb as well as 1/2 of my tongue and all my lower right lip. He decided I was going to need to return at another time to 'try again'. They put some type of substance over the part that was drilled and it's worked fine--I've felt no pain or discomfort. Needless to say I was a nervous wreck leaving the office and am dreading returning next week. He stated that sometimes our 'biochemistry' is 'off' and the novacaine just won't take. What do you think???? THis has never happened to me before--obviously they were able to deaden this tooth before as it has a huge filling in now, but it's been probably 20+ yrs. since I had it filled last. Has this happened to anyone else and what if he can't ever get it numbed up properly--it's already half drilled?????

Old 10-21-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
(female)

dabner HB User
Re: Question about numbing tooth for filling

I also have atooth that is diificult to numb, but it is on the upper arch. Sometimes the teeth of the lower arch can be difficult to numb because of the nerve in the lower jaw. You can't really numb just one tooth on the bottom like you can on the top. You have to numb a quadrant. For some reason the anesthesia is not getting all the way back to your tooth. If your tooth already has an amalgam (silver) Filling in it, the only way to get it out is to use a drill. Ask your dentist what other anesthesia options are avaiable. When the filling is replaced, you may want to opt for a composite or a toothe colored filling which sometimes can be removed using microbrasion which does not usually require anesthesia, but that would also depend on the type of cavity you have. Good luck.

You need to go back and have the temporary filling he put in replaced with a permanent one. It was not designed to remain in your mouth for an extended period of time and could cause you more serious problems if not replaced promptly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

palominogirl HB User

Two things come to my mind. I read that you can't numb a tooth if it is infected, also my dentist told me that if the decay is on the inside side of the tooth the only way you can numb it would be by sticking the needle in the roof of your mouth or if the tooth is on the bottom I would assume, the inside bottom of your mouth. In my case I said never mind, I'll suffer.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

My dentist explained to me that if the tooth is infected then the environment is acidic (probably also true with decay), and the novocaine is a base. So because the two are opposites they tend to avoid each other and therefore it is hard to get the novocaine to actually go into the part of the tooth that is infected (where the work will need to be done). So they have to inject a whole lot of it to create a concentration gradient and force the novocaine into that area. Fortunately my dentist didn't have any problem injecting lots of it to make me happy.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:06 PM   #5

jerseydawg HB User

Thanks everyone for your input. I did go back for the 2nd visit and it went better. Only needed 2 shots and it numbed up good enough to complete the procedure. Unfortunately, I'm having a little pain when I try to eat on that side of my mouth. Can't pinpoint if it's the new filling or the molar right in front of it. The tooth in front of the one I had worked on has a crown on it. I'm not sure what's going on and not exactly thrilled that I'm going back tomorrow to have the doc look at it. I just hope and pray it's something simple to fix.

Closed Thread