It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2004, 11:42 PM   #1
Veteran

lateeth HB User
Questions about flap surgery

I went to the perio yesterday after deep scaling treatment on my gums and time for that to heal. The good news is that my really deep pockets are now mostly medium size pockets and some of the medium ones are small. But i do still have 3 teeth with 9mm pockets! I started out with lots of 10-14's. Now my perio is planning gum flap surgery to try to take down the size 9 pockets to a manageable size but she said the chances are small it will help.
My question to anyone who has had this size pocket, did anyone have success getting a 9 mm pocket down in size with flap surgery? I have already had 6 teeth pulled and really don't want any more pulled if i can avoid it so i will try the flap surgery approach. My teeth are quite solid even tho i have some significant bone loss due to perio disease. I also do not have any pain in my teeth, they feel just as they always had in the days before i discovered I have this disease. It is very silent in my case. (I did get 3 opinions who all confirmed the disease as I cannot feel it at all which makes it hard for me to believe there is a problem).
Also, there were some threads about this surgery several years ago. Any updates since then on people who have had it? What was your longterm outcome? And short term...did it hurt? was it painful afterwards? Exactly what was it like? How much smaller did the pockets get and did they stay small?
Thanks for all your answers.

Last edited by lateeth; 10-15-2004 at 11:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
Inactive

martid HB User
Re: Questions about flap surgery

Hi Lateeth, I had the procedure twice, once twenty years ago, and the perio. back then cut too much gum tissue out, and it caused more problems in the long run. But periodontists are much better now, and have better knowledge and better tools also. I had it again last year, and the perio I have now is very good, he rebuilt my gums to make them ticker, I also had bone grafts and many implants placed in the past year. Your pockets will be reduced, and with good hygiene and every 3 months perio. cleaning, you should have no problem keeping gum tissue clean and healthy. I did. The main thing is if you have a history of perio disease and you smoke, you have to quit, or your gum tissue will never get better. I quit last year and my gums are so much healthier now. Also, do not use peroxide when cleaning your teeth, because it kills tissue. Good luck to you. You can't reverse bone loss due to perio. dis., but you can control it, and get bone and tissue build back up with a good surgeon. Marti

Old 10-21-2004, 04:27 AM   #3
Veteran

lateeth HB User

Thanks, Marti. IT sounds as though your experience 20 years ago was not so great, but did it keep your teeth from being pulled for the last 20 years? that is what i am hoping for, to give my teeth a long while longer to be around for me. I do not smoke by the way. My perio says she is doing a bone placement (not a graft i don't think, just placing some bone..someone elses,not mine and i did not ask where it was coming from). She said it takes for some and not for others but because i have so much bone loss in that tooth, if it doesn't stimulate my own bone to grow back, i will lose that tooth for sure. Did your grafts all work? I know you have had many implants this past year. Is that because the other approaches did not work? And what was it like after the flap surgery? Were you in pain and discomfort?
I know these are lots of questions but it really helps to have someone who has been there before me. Thanks

Old 10-22-2004, 12:11 PM   #4

Skyla HB User

Hi Lateeth,

Just wanted to say hi, I think of you often. All I can tell you about flap surgery is, my husband had it 5 months ago with one bone graft. He had a 9 pocket and thats now a 2, so far so good. Keeping fingers crossed. As for pain he didn't really have any. He was uncomfortable because they use this packing over the stitchs, and of course the stitchs are uncomfortable and you can't brush near them so that's unpleasant. The only other thing he had was he couldn't open his mouth as wide probably from keeping it open so long during surgery, but it sure didn't stop him from eating LOL.

I wish you the best, and please update.

Marti do you know why peroxide, is bad for the gums? We use arm & hammer toothpaste, have for years. I can't seem to find any info about it, and my husbands peri even gave him a sample of it. Which if you say it's bad kinda makes me go hummmm ya know.

Last edited by Skyla; 10-22-2004 at 12:12 PM.

Old 10-23-2004, 01:47 AM   #5
Veteran

lateeth HB User

Thanks Skyla, and what is up with you. Are you still status quo on your teeth. STill have them all? I will keep my fingers crossed that i can do that 9mm to 2mm thing your husband did. I am brushing regularly and flossing and trying to be great to my gums, even got an electric toothbrush to help the gums along, so i am hoping miraculously these pockets will go away and the bone thing will work too.

Last edited by lateeth; 10-23-2004 at 01:48 AM.

Closed Thread