It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Anyone had problems with your fillings?

I'm just curious. Has anyone ever died from dental fillings that have leaked? You hear so many stories about the problems of the fillings that could leak but then I have also heard that most people don't have problems with their fillings that they have had for years and years and I would just like to hear from you if you have had any of the black fillings for 20 plus years or so and if you have had any problems. Reading these stories of yes, there are problems can say....I'm a dentist, come in and spend your money with me, or you read, no, it's not a problem because maybe there are dentists that don't want to take that responsibility because of possible law suits, I don't know who or what to believe! Maybe if I hear from peoples PERSONAL experience who have had these fillings for years, that would give me some insight. I have had mine (2 big fillings and 3-4 tiny ***-like fillings) for over 20 years and at times, I experience a metallic taste in my mouth.

I don't know if that's caused from something I ate and maybe didn't agree with me or digest well or what. Hopefully, I will get alot of responses telling me that the majority who have these fillings haven't had problems with them.. Let's hope!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2004, 08:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Re: Anyone had problems with your fillings?

This is an ongoing controversy. There is indications that mercury-silver dental amalgams have affected people's health, such as mine. But there's other people that say it does not affect people's health, because it can't be proven or hasn't been proven.

So until it has been established and recognized by numerous responsible parties, that mercury-silver dental amalgams affect one's health, they won't be able to tell if it can prematurely cause death. And it gets very complicated. Why? Well, for one...it's the combination of factors that can get us sick or kill us. It could be a combined amount of mercury from our fillings, mercury from food such as contaminated fish, mercury from streams, plus other toxins, poor diet, hereditary factors, and so forth and so on.

So the question you would have to ask yourself...do you want mercury from these fillings? For there is no question, is if you have these black metal fillings, you will get mercury in your brain, liver, kidneys and many other places. It will accumulate. There are also many other factors, of how well your body can rid itself of these toxins, of how many fillings you have, the type of materials in these fillings and on and on.

So I suggest that you don't worry or panic; that you do research on the subject...read and read. If you decide to change over to white fillings...again read and read about the different types of fillings they have for you. Also if you have mercury fillings removed, please find a good cosmetic dentist that will reduce your exposure to mercury while these toxic fillings are replaced. This includes not only a dental dam, but adequate ventilation etc.

It sounds like you want people to tell you that they haven't had health problems with their mercury fillings. Well, how can they tell you? In my opinion, our medical community has not done good enough of a job of correlating health problems from toxins such as mercury to our well-being. Some people may think they are healthy with these amalgams. Well, now think of all the people have these mysterious fibromyalgia muscle pains, headaches, cancer and so forth. How can we know if these were caused from fillings or other sources or for other reasons?

What I can tell you, is after I had my mercury-silver dental amalgams replaced with less toxic white fillings, that my teeth tightened in place very fast, the bleeding gums stopped, the gum/mouth disease was greatly reduced, the muscle/joint pains stopped enough so that I could run for miles, the lower back pains went away, the mysterious chest pains slowly year by year went away, urinary problems slowly were reduced, along with my headaches which stopped very soon after the amalgams were replaced.

If you have any more questions, please let me know. I'd be glad to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to rhody For This Useful Post:
budi strpljiv (10-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2004, 08:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Also, I seem to remember that I experienced a metal taste in my mouth. This happened when I pushed my tongue across the mercury-silver filling. I guess it was kind of similar to the affect that one can have, when you accidentally bite on to an aluminum foil...kind of like that...kind of like that kind of a taste but less intense. Has anyone experienced that?

Old 11-11-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Do you think that your physical problems could have been caused by other things other than your fillings? Were you ever evaluated by a medical Dr.?

Old 11-11-2004, 07:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi,

I saw many doctors who either could not help me get better or made me worse. How many doctors are there that can link dental amalgam poisoning to sickness? They are looking for a "bug" or germ or something visible or understood by them.

Over the years, scientists have made great advances in understanding this, starting with the fact that this mercury constantly leaks from the amalgam. This is something that was not clearly understood and/or admitted by a lot of medical professionals at one time. It's amazing that some medical professionals actually still today don't understand this and they compare dental amalgams "mixtures" to salt or water molecules (from a chemical standpoint).

When my tooth broke and exposed one mercury-silver dental amalgam and my condition got much worse, I called a local hospital and they suggested that I contact a research center. This was a little over 10 years ago. I then saw a naturopath that helped me some. At that point, I was so tired of seeing doctors that did me harm or did nothing, that I decided to have my dental amalgams removed for cosmetic purposes. I didn't want to see any more dumb "I-don't-know" looks from doctors. I hoped that they may help me with my medical condition, but I didn't know for sure until later.

I was fortunate that I did get better. Apparently there are records of thousands of people getting better after the removal of dental amalgams. The question is could other conditions affect this as well? Yes, it is possible. There are too many variables, to make definitive conclusions about all people for all cases. There's still much work to be done....

So, all I can say to people, do you want mercury in your mouth that leaks and accumulates in your body from dental amalgams? Do you want this to happen in addition to other exposures to other toxins? It is something we all have to decide.

I think a lot of us will be long gone departed from this earth before they make this confirmation of how dental amalgams could affect us with our health and our life. With such a short life that we have, I'm glad that I made these decisions now, and I'm well today. I'm also happy that I don't have these ugly gray-black poisonous metals in my mouth.

We are now in the 21st century. Let's hope that dentistry evolves into using less toxic materials, and helps us look better too with natural-looking teeth.

And I must note that this evolution is already taking place. Cosmetic dentistry seems real popular more and more as people realize that they have other options. A lot of people just like having "white" fillings that are durable and high quality from dentists that have expertise in this field.

A lot of us also wish dentists would stop calling mercury-silver dental amalgams "silver" fillings, because it really is a misnomer. There's much more mercury than silver in a dental amalgam. We have a right to know about putting a poison in us that is one of the most toxic substances on the earth next to plutonium for the human body. Just a tiny amount can kill us, if the exposure is high enough.

I hope that helps you understand more about the subject.

The Following User Says Thank You to rhody For This Useful Post:
budi strpljiv (10-20-2011)
Old 11-11-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

But looking on the American Dental Association site, I have read where they are claiming that these amalgams are safe and I have also read where there were cases about people trying to sue because of their speculations of these filling making them sick and they did not prevail in their lawsuit. How do you know how much or if these fillings leak? Are they still using this practice on patients today in giving them these fillings? I guess I am wanting to know how it can be proven that first of all, these fillings are causing health problems in people and how can one tell how much they are leaking if in fact they do leak? Are you saying that they all leak poisonous substances?

Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 AM   #7
(female)

db2kp HB User

Quote:Also, I seem to remember that I experienced a metal taste in my mouth. This happened when I pushed my tongue across the mercury-silver filling. I guess it was kind of similar to the affect that one can have, when you accidentally bite on to an aluminum foil...kind of like that...kind of like that kind of a taste but less intense. Has anyone experienced that?

The above statement: This is called galvanic shock. If this happens to you, initially, use a cotton ball dipped in lemon juice and rub over the filling.

Quote:When my tooth broke and exposed one mercury-silver dental amalgam

confusing statement above.? Did you have a different type of filling covering the amalgam? Or was the entire filling amalgam? What is a black filling? Is it an amalgam?
What is a mercury-silver filling?
If a filling breaks, it doesn't release some type of toxin into your mouth. It's a broken filling and it needs to be replaced with either a filling, crown or onlay and may need a root canal.

The danger in amalgam filling is taking them out when they don't need to be removed.
The vapors from the mercury in the filling cause more harm than having them in your mouth as fillings.
Any filling can leak. It caused by wear and tear. The edges of the filling will break down and eventually break away leaving a small opening for bacteria to sneak into, causing further decay.
I have plus 20yr amalgams in my mouth. No leaking.

Presently, I have one composite restoration, and I absolutely hate it. The contour is off and food gets caught between my teeth because of it. If I have it removed, I will need an onlay or possibly a crown since the filling is so large. Not a lot of tooth structure left there, so I chose to leave it alone and floss the heck out of it.

I will continue to have amalgams placed in the future.

It's probably true that some people have problems with them, just like anything else. Not everyone is immune to everything in this world.

Last edited by db2kp; 11-12-2004 at 07:29 AM. Reason: confusing wording

Old 11-12-2004, 10:08 AM   #8

yesmik2 HB User

I don't really like the composite fillings either. In the future, when I need any of them replaced I'll go with gold inlays which last 20-50+ yrs.

Old 11-12-2004, 07:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

DB2KP,

So are you basically disagreeing with what Rody is saying? I am scared out of my mind because I want to do the right thing and I don't know what that is. I can live with the metallic taste (which isn't all the time) as long as I know it's not a health threat! Rody is saying that it can kill ya but then when I read what the ADA says, they say differently. I know, no 2 people are the same and what may affect one person, may not affect the next person when they are dealing with the exact same thing. So? How does one know what to do? If I go to a dentist, then of course they will say replace it so that they can make money. Can a Dentist even tell if it is leaking? I just want to do the right thing.

Old 11-12-2004, 07:43 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Singer1,

You shouldn't be scared. You just need to research this. Take your time.

Yes, enough mercury can kill you or anyone of us. But for this to happen with dental amalgams, I'm guessing that you would have to have a very high number of them that leaked mercury at a very high rate, plus be exposed to many other toxins for a long time. Yes, anything is possible, but it appears to take many years for this mercury to accumulate to be create some problems for some individuals. For me, with my eight dental amalgams, I got worse over about 20 years or more. You can read about this from many resources, and I found that this is somewhat common. There's not enough to panic....

The ADA hasn't proven that amalgams are safe. On top of that I don't believe that they have conducted any long term studies about the subject to demonstrate they are safe. If they have, can someone point that out to me? The evidence is constantly pointing out that putting dangerous poisons in our teeth such as mercury is not safe. It is a proven fact that the mercury-silver dental amalgams are constantly leaking mercury in small amounts and accumulate in many areas of the body. This will happen to anyone, and the leaking is worse when you chew or consume hot liquids.

Again, I'm repeating myself, but do not be scared and do not panic. I'm assuming that when I say this, that you are otherwise a healthy individual. Just keeping reading about this. Make an informed choice. The more you know about this, the better prepared you will be to make the proper decisions that best fit you. Don't listen to one person or what one association says. There's an "explosive" amount of information about the affect that dental amalgams can have on our health...and they can be easily found in this computer age.

Last edited by rhody; 11-12-2004 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Spelling etc.

Old 11-12-2004, 08:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

db2kp,

I call mercury-silver dental amalgams "black metal fillings" or sometimes mercury fillings. These fillings are commonly called "silver" fillings by dentists. I wish they would stop misleading the public with such nomenclature and inform the public what's in these fillings, especially poisonous mercury. You can look up the word amalgam. It's a mixture of metals such as mercury with other metals. I can't remember the exact definition, so maybe one of you can look it up and comment further.

When my tooth broke it exposed a greater surface area of the existing mercury-silver dental amalgam. With such greater exposure, I'm assuming that I got more amounts of mercury. I remember it being shiny gray-black in color. And all I know is that my health problems got worse...much worse.

This was over 10 years ago. No, I don't need anything but what my dentist gave me. That was a crown. The rest of teeth were replaced with "white" fillings.

No, the vapors from the mercury extraction are not worse than keeping the mercury fillings in the teeth, if you take into the account the accumulation of mercury over the years from these fillings. Plus a good dentist would reduce the amount of exposure to mercury during this process. But not all dentist may pratice safe dentistry to minimize this exposure. I've heard of dentist removing these mercury fillings without a dental dam, and people swallowing these mercury-silver dental amalgam pieces.

For anyone considering white fillings, one can't judge them by one type of white filling. You have to find a good cosmetic dentist that can give you many choices.

Closed Thread