It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2004, 09:31 AM   #1

AusiJulie HB User
strongest denture adhesive?

My lower denture will not stay glued in for very long now. What is the STRONGEST, long-hold adhesive you have used?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2004, 10:16 PM   #2

Tessalou HB User
Re: strongest denture adhesive?

I have used every one I can find on the market and can't find one that will hold. The only thing I know is that polydent has a taste, even the free and clear one and Fixadent doesn't. The Equate brand at wal-mart is comparable to the Fixadent regular. This doesn't answer your question but if anyone out there knows a about a strong adhesive let both of us know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2004, 02:30 AM   #3

Myzen HB User

Hi folks,

I'm going to be needing dentures soon enough due to a progessive gum disease and I have heard that lower dentures are a real problem. Your posts confirm that concern.

I have read an article about lower 'magnetic' dentures, which rely on two small magnets being implanted in the lower jaw, which connect with metal parts of the lower denture. It sounds a bit crazy, but I can see how it works.

My worry here is that my jaws have been inflamed with the gum disease for a long time and implants could be problematic.

Any words of wisdom or comfort?

Cheers, Myzen

Old 11-11-2004, 03:53 AM   #4

dianne12315 HB User

Hi Everyone,

I've had my top dentures since I was 19 yrs old and I've had the bottom dentures since I was 43. I'm 48 now.

I also tried everything on the market but I have found that Fixodent Original is about the best. If your dentures are loose then try using a little more than what the directions tell you to use. Usually after I first put mine in I will drink something right away because I think it helps to seal them. That could be just my imagination but it works for me.

As for lower dentures....they were a little harder to get used to than the top. When I first had them put in they felt weird but after a few days they were ok. I used to suck on a lot of life savers when I first put them in because the sucking motion gets your mouth and tongue used to the feel of the dentures. It also helps if you have a tendency to gag which some people do.

I never took mine out either even though they felt uncomfortable. I think it's more mind over matter. If you want to get used to them then you will and it's so easy to just take them out but if you do then you'll never get used to them. I sleep with mine in. I never take them out except to clean them.

One more thing about the lower dentures....when I first got mine I used to have to take them out a few times during the day to put more Fixodent on them. Once you get used to them you will find you don't do it so often. I found that the bottom teeth become loose before the tops is because we use our lower jaws more and that tends to move the denture sometimes and sometimes if you yawn a lot the seal from the Fixodent will come loose and then you have to fix them again.

It all sound worse than it actually is though. I don't mind having dentures at all and I don't miss the toothaches that came with our own teeth.

As for the implants....how do you know your body won't reject them?

Just keep experimenting with the amount of adhesive you use and sooner or later you will find the amount that will keep them in place. I don't think there a "strong" adhesive on the market. They all claim to be the best but they're really all the same. I have found that the Fixodent Original works the best for me and it never leaves an after taste like some of them do. I have been using the Fixodent since I was 19. I tried the rest but didn't like them.

I hope this helped.

Dianne

Closed Thread