It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 08:06 PM   #1

dedelydee HB User
Question Under what circumstance is a periodontal probe usually done

Just wondering if its normal to do that as a new patient going in for a first time cleaning or is it only done if they look at the gums and think there might be a problem?

We just started with a new dentist who did this and made some interesting discoveries in my husbands mouth and now I am wondering why the previous dentist would not have done this?

Old 11-18-2004, 08:58 PM   #2

CK39C HB User
Re: Under what circumstance is a periodontal probe usually done

Hello,

My guess is there is a problem with your husband's gums. A periodontist is recommended when there are problems with your gums. I am right now going thru a situation with periodontal disease. If your new dentist thinks your husband needs a periodontial probing, then I would go see one and have it checked out. Unfortunately gum problems can take awhile to surface but if you don't feel comfortable with your current dentist's suggestion then get a second opinion. However, gum problems do not go away you must have it checked out I have learned that the hard way, don't wait go and get it checked out.

Let me know what you find out
Sincerely,

CK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 06:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

My dentist does it for everyone who come throught his office. Every new patient gets it done. If you are found to have periodontal problelms a special cleaning is suggested and important to be able to keep your teeth. Plus they will probe every so often so see how those numbers are doing. If you don't have the problem and they will probably check once a year. It's sad really that more dentist don't do this exam more reguarly. It is very important to have this done to make sure you haven't developed an infection in your gums. It's sad that more patients are not aware that they have this problem and they don't know the health risks. I have meet people who have seen a dentist for 20 years and they go to a new dentist (due to insurance change or their dentist retiring) and the new dentist tells them that they have had this disease for the 20 years that they saw the old dentist. They wonder why they were never told about. My guess is that the older dentist don't think it's that much of an issuse. They didn't know what we know now. Dental school was alot different. Now studies have shown that periodonatl disease is assosicated with strokes and heart disease. The people more likely to have this disease are smokers and diabetics, people with heart problems. This isn't to say if you don't have any of these that you can't have the disease. You can these people are just more likely to have it. Periodonatl or gum disease has no cure. You can't get rid of it, but your dentist and hygenist can help you maintain it so that it doesn't get worse. This disease if not maintained can cause you to loose your teeth. What the infection does is eat way the bone the supports the teeth. It causes the gums to not be attached around the tooth like they should be. When the dentist or hygenist does this exam you want to hear numbers like 1,2, or 3. If you hear numbers like 4,5, or 6 your dentist or hygenist will probably be talking to you about a different type of cleaning the the tradtional one. The cleaning they do is called and STM 2, 3, or 4 or also refered to as a deep cleaning. They clean under the gums down on the roots of the teeth to help clean up the infection. Once you do this you usually go back every 3 months to maintain what you have. The numbers could get worse if you don't do this and you could loose your teeth. Good luck with this. Be glad that your dentist checks for this. There are alot that don't and lot of people that don't know what they have and will have serious problems later. This just doesn't affect your teeth,it can affect your health. Having an infection in your mouth all the time is good for you. So really make sure that you have this taken care of. I have seen so many people not take this seriously and they really should. People think it's just my teeth way spend that money. If you had an infection anywhere else that could cause other health problems like heart disease or a stroke you would do what ever it took to maintain it or get rid of it right. Sorry, about all this. It just really upsetting that this isn't taken more seriously by people. It's probably because so many dentist don't take it seriously. I think all that will change someday. With more younger dentist out there with the new knowlegde and all the research that is going into this. There is also something called arstin you have numbers 5 or higher. It's an anitbiotic that they place down in the gums to help with the infection. I hope the best for you.

Old 11-19-2004, 07:11 AM   #4

dedelydee HB User

Thats exactly what this dentist did, the deep cleaning. My husband had 3,4, and 5's. He is to go back in 1 month to get a checkup on it. He does not have to go to the periodontist. They did the deep cleaning, they called it "debridgement" there.

The dentists he has been previously seeing were DHMO dentists, fresh out of school. I suspect they knew it needed to be done, but since they didn't get paid enough by the insurance company to do a thorough checkup they neglected to do so.

Old 11-19-2004, 07:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

Glad to hear your husband is getting the treatment that he needs. Yea this can be done by your regular dentist. Sometime with serve cases they will refer you to a periodontist. I am sorry your other dentist didn't do this. You are probably right about the insurance thing. It's sad that he is letting an insurance company dictate the treatment he will do. Being a dentist fresh out of school he knows the risks of the disease. I am not saying the older ones don't. I think they were just taught differenlty and may not agree with somethings that are being said now.

Old 11-19-2004, 11:02 AM   #6

dedelydee HB User

By the older ones knowing, how old do you mean? Because most of the dentists in my area seem to be between 25-40. You would be hardpressed to find one over 40. The one who just did that on my husband (actually it was his hygenist who did it) is around 40. I am glad we finally found a good dentist, though it is going to cost $, it will be less than if we let things go and have to have gum surgery, etc.

Now he will look at my mouth that has an, I suspect, a poorly fitted bridge as well as possibly chipped, stained and possibly decayed teeth. This is going to be even worse, I fear.

Old 11-20-2004, 11:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

In the area i am from we have alot of dentist that are in their 60 or so. Ready for retirement. I think like the saying goes it's hard to teach and old dog new tricks. They were taught one way and the perio wasn't stressed like it is now.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:33 AM   #8
Veteran

lateeth HB User

I am in agreement with what browneyez said. My dentist of many years retired at 70 or so only for me to find out i had serious periodontal disease. I had never heard of probing or pockets even tho i had cleanings regularly. I loved my old dentist. After i found out about all this stuff, I started talking with others. Most of my friends have regular probings (but the topic had never come up in any converstion before then) and most of them had younger dentists. A few with older dentists had been probed and a few with younger dentists had not. Since this is such a serious disease, it is amazing to me that my dentist had never even brought up the subject. My 2 brothers in 2 different states and different dentists had never heard of this either.
I have no other health problems. I am glad your husband discovered this at a relatively early stage so he can take care of it before the bone loss. I was not that lucky. Good luck and make sure you get checked as well.

Closed Thread