It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #1
(male)

Interesting Ian HB User
Tooth extraction: Still bleeding after 10 hours

Hi,

Had extremely painful toothache for the past 2 days, so that I even found it difficult to get to sleep. Went to the dentist today and he extracted a molar. Anyway, this was about 10 hours ago and it is still bleeding. In fact it's slightly worse now than a couple of hours ago. I've just had something to eat for the first time since getting it pulled, but I chewed on the other side of my mouth.

So I'm a bit concerned. I would normally go to bed in about 3 hours time, but don't like the idea of it bleeding while I'm asleep.

What do people think? And if it's still bleeding tomorrow should I telephone my dentists?

BTW I've been taking a few aspirin the last couple of days in a despairing attempt to relieve the toothache. None today of course.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 11-30-2004, 02:54 PM   #2

bosleys03 HB User
Re: Tooth extraction: Still bleeding after 10 hours

One problem may be the aspirin. If I am correct in what I remember.. you aren't supposed to take aspirin when bleeding. It thins your blood and doesn't allow clots to form..therefore the blood keeps coming. Stop taking the aspirin..switch to extra strength tylenol or ask your dentist about tylenol pm to help with sleep as well after 8 hours or so of being off aspirin you will probably find the bleeding mostly stops.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 03:07 PM   #3
(male)

Interesting Ian HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosleys03
One problem may be the aspirin. If I am correct in what I remember.. you aren't supposed to take aspirin when bleeding. It thins your blood and doesn't allow clots to form..therefore the blood keeps coming. Stop taking the aspirin..switch to extra strength tylenol or ask your dentist about tylenol pm to help with sleep as well after 8 hours or so of being off aspirin you will probably find the bleeding mostly stops.
I was only taking the aspirin on the Sunday and Monday, and that was for my toothache. So i'm not sure.

Old 11-30-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
(female)

wideawakeinaz HB User

I had my tooth pulled yesterday and while i'm dealing with other issues related to that tooth pulled, for me, i bled all night and into today. it's been over 24 hours and the blood is starting to go away.

i was told yesterday, it's not really blood from the extraction, but rather blood from the silva. but honestly, i had so much blood, i can't see how that was only from silva.

if you still have a ton of bleeding, go back and get it checked out. i'm going back, because my swelling feels like a huge bubble that isn't going away. they told me, sounds like a blood clot, but now i'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Old 11-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #5

CK39C HB User
Wink Re: Tooth extraction: Still bleeding after 10 hours

Hello,

I am sorry to hear about your bleeding, my advice go back to the dentist asap, also if you feel you have an emergency call the after hours number or leave a message. I had an extraction about a month ago luckily I didn't have many problems. Although I still have a little pain. But most dentists and oral surgeons will call you on the day of an extraction. They called me and believe me I greatly appreciated it. So again if you feel like you need to see your dentist call whenever you want to. They will see you.

All the best to you.

CK

Old 12-01-2004, 08:50 PM   #6
(female)

blackberry HB User

Blood and salvia mixed looks like a lot of blood, Your bleeding more because of the asprin. Try using a moisten tea bag. Bite on this and hold firm pressure. It's normal for a socket to ooze for 24 hours. Now to the other remark, if where you had a tooth extracted and it looks like a big lump of liver in your mouth and it's still bleeding-call your dentist. This is an abnormal blood clot and will have to be removed so that the bleeding and healing can start over. We still don't know what causes this in some people.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:01 PM   #7

PatrickL HB User

Had an infected wisdom tooth pulled 2 weeks ago. Oral surgeon told me to expect some bleeding for as long as 24 hours after the extraction. Tooth was pulled @ 3pm, was still seeing blood on gauze pack the following morning. Healed up fine for me.

Closed Thread