It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 08:42 AM   #1
(male)

dale2004 HB User
How long did it take for your tooth to settle down after a root canal?

I'm currently at five days and still counting.....

I'd be interested to know how long it took for you to start seeing any improvement after your root canal.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: How long did it take for your tooth to settle down after a root canal?

After I got my root canal drilled, it was a bit sore for a day or two, but felt a lot better than before I had it done. It was a major improvement! While I had the temporary crown, I didn't really chew on that side. I got my permanent crown maybe two weeks ago and it is still a little odd to chew on, but it is doing better.

I guess mine felt so much better right away because I was in a lot of pain before it was done. If you weren't in pain beforehand, the pain afterward might seem worse. If it isn't better soon, call the dentist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 07:32 AM   #3
(male)

dale2004 HB User

Well, I called the dentist today and he said that the tooth that is still giving me problems had an additional lateral canal in it or something like that. He told me that it is common for teeth like this to take a bit longer to settle down. So he gave me some antibiotics to clear up any residual infection that might be lurking there and told me to call him again on Monday to keep him updated.

Finger crossed!

Old 12-09-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

brwneyez9 HB User

I had one done that i had no problem with at all. Then i had to have the one behind it done too and that one took 1 to a weeks and half to feel better. It was really sore. I couldn't chew on that side, but now i feel great. So give it sometime.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:04 PM   #5
(female)

Zimm HB User
Angry Re: How long did it take for your tooth to settle down after a root canal?

I had a root canal a little over two weeks ago and I still can't bite down on that tooth without pain. The dentist put me on antibiotics but so far no difference. The next step is what he called an Apico which I'm not looking forward to, I don't even know if that will work and I'm already going broke with these procedures. I hope yours feels better soon, I know in some cases it takes a bit longer,but I don't know why I can't bite down on that tooth, it's awkward because it's one of my front teeth so pulling it really is not an option.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:58 AM   #6
(female)

britzi HB User

hi all, i had 3 root canals done over the last few months and not one of them is totally pain free. they dont actually ache or feel uncomfortable but when i tap them or bite on something hard they feel tender. xrays all showed no residue infection, nerve endings or unfilled canals. so crowns have been fitted and i'll just wait and see if they settle down. stupid teeth.

Old 12-10-2004, 10:49 AM   #7
(male)

dale2004 HB User

Well, it certainly appears that for lot of people it takes a long time for teeth to settle down after a root canal. I've read that it can take months for some people.

Zimm, if you just feel pain or tenderness when biting but it feels okay the rest of the time, I suspect it might just be a situation that you need to give it more time to settle down. If you do have to have an apisectomy(sp?) though, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I've had two and I don't think it's any worse than having a root canal.

I had two front teeth root canalled a week ago. The first one seems to is settling down a bit, except for pain when I bite on it. The other one is still a bit iffy, it will be painful for a while and then it will give me a few hours of relief for no apparent reason and then start up again so it's strange. But I am going to keep persevering with it unless it gets to the stage where I want to rip my head off. I know it seems to take me such a long time to recover from this kind of thing. I don't know why, it just does.

Old 12-21-2004, 11:52 AM   #8
(male)

dale2004 HB User

Hi all, just a quick update.

The pain in one of these root canal teeth has never settled down and started to get a lot worse last week. So I went back to my endo and he said that there was a lot of swelling around the root of the tooth again and recommended that we redo it. So thankfully I was booked in to go today as this thing was giving me real pain yesterday. But then I got a call late last night cancelling it because whilst my endo was leaving his surgery yesterday evening he fell and broke his leg. Of all the things to happen!!! So this poor guy was laid up in the fracture clinic today and I've had to reschedule - doh!!! Anyway, I have been given some antibiotics to help with the pain today - metronidiazole (sp?) which just make me nausious (ugh!!). I sent the endo a get well soon card because I feel pretty bad for him.

Anyway, it looks like there will be no alcoholic beverages for me over Christmas as I can't drink with the antibiotics. I'll just have to make up for it with extra cake instead!!!

Have a Merry Christmas everybody!!!

Last edited by dale2004; 12-21-2004 at 11:53 AM.

Closed Thread