It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2004, 11:04 AM   #1

Kortney HB User
Unhappy Please help. Really in a big mess and pain!

I'm really desperate here for some ideas and some support. I'm so down in the dumps over this I don't know what to do.

I'm petrified to go back to the dentist. I've had a few bad experiences in the past, really awful. I've had one demonstrate totally unprofessional behavior. When I had my upper right teeth pulled I was so upset over it, I never had em replaced. I figured well, why bother go back ya know?

I also neglected the health of the rest of my teeth/gums. Finally I got to where I'd atleast go get them cleaned and did ok with it even though I'd panic at the thought.

I had an upper left molar give me trouble from time to time. It has a huge filling that's been there since I was just a kid. I'd take a few tylenol and it would stop hurting.

A few weeks ago it REALLY got bad. Big time bad. Nothing was easing my pain and what's worse is 1. The teeth on the bottom under it ached and 2. I cant chew on the right side because there's no teeth.

I had no choice but do what I hate the most, go to the dentist. I do like my new dentist. My entire family goes to him. He's great and friendly, he's funny, etc.

He xrayed the area and I got lots of trouble. My lower left molars have new cavities. The upper tooth is crumbling from the old filling. The entire time I was in the chair, I was a MESS. I shook, I was sweating, pure panic.

He assured me he could stop the pain without hurting me or giving me any shots in my mouth. I said ok. He mixed up some temporary filling goo and took his drill and sanded down,ground around the crumbling area and no, that did not hurt at all. It was nowhere near nerves in the teeth.

Then he packed the area with temporary filling that did stop the pain. He didn't bother to smooth the temp filling stuff out because he said it's simply there to serve 2 purposes, stop the pain, keep the tooth from crumbling.

The tooth needs a crown. I said uh, ok. Then left. But, he also said in a very kind way to please consider getting an implant and bridge to replace the teeth on the right, that I will only get worse if they aren't replaced. No pressure, just think it over. My family has gone to him for years. He said he'd give me 20 % of the work too.

After I had the work on the bad aching tooth my entire mouth throbbed. My tongue burned, my gums burned, the right side of my mouth felt heavy/numb and I hated it.

To make it even worse, I do have atypical facial pain/neuralgia. Anytime my mouth is messed with, it sets off that livewire facial nerve of mine and I'm in severe pain.

The temp filling is beginning to ache. I am back to eating tylenol and motrin. It barely dulls the pain. My head throbs, my neck hurts, and to even think about going back to get the crown done petrifies me.

I know I don't really have much of a choice. I either get it done or, wait til the temp stuff falls out and I'm gonna be in worse shape then than I am now.

I'm so scared though. Any help on how to deal with such anxiety??

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 01:55 PM   #2

Katefan00 HB User
Re: Please help. Really in a big mess and pain!

Kortney, I'm really sorry about your mouth trouble. I know how you feel though. I waited years and years to go to the dentist. Thankfully I needed several fillings and that was it, but I still have to deal with the pain and discomfort of having had to get 7-8 fillings over the last year (including two that were quite deep) because of my neglect. But once I started going, I felt tons better. Even though things were bad and I was in pain, I knew that my teeth were getting taken care of and that eventually I'd have everything straightened out.

You shouldn't just stop getting care for your teeth. I know it's hard when you're scared of being hurt (trust me, I know -- you read my post on my horrible wisdom tooth extraction), but for your future dental health it's important that you continue on your path to getting things fixed. You should ask your dentist if it's possible for him to prescribe you some valium or such as that. I have known people who have had such severe dental anxiety that they have been prescribed an anti-anxiety medication such as that to take prior to visits. It can't hurt to ask, and your dentist sounds very understanding. That'd be my main suggestion -- 1, don't stop going, and 2, ask for something to help with the anxiety. All the best.

K.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:50 PM   #3

yesmik2 HB User

The more you go to dentist the less pain you'll have in the future. Going to dentist is one of the evils of life that can't be avoided, so sometimes you've gotta grit your teeth and bare it.(no pun intended)

Old 12-12-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

hi, i know how you feel!! i spent 2 yrs of my life thinking and dreading the day i knew id have to go to the dentist! The dentist never bothered me until i too had a bad experience 2 yrs ago and the thought of going made me physically ill. it took my every thought up and i couldnt even enjoy life. i finally decided enough was enough. i went and got some ativan to calm me down from my doc, they are usually understanding, and i made an appt at a brand new up to date dentist with a huge ad in the yellow pages and i was so proud of myself after i had been you wouldnt even know!!! so you kind of have to bite the bullet and just do it. it will only get worse and i know how scared you are but i think of it as its only a tiny peice of ur life u have to spend in that chair and the quicker you get it over and done with the quicker you can begin to enjoy ur life! good luck!!

Old 12-12-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
(female)

jennyjk HB User

Hi,

I waited 8 years until my back wisdom tooth crumbled. I found a wonderful dentist. Just to let you know how anxious I am, it took 4x the anesthesia to put me under! When I was under for the wisdoms he did my fillings too. I would look into getting sedation, if not iv, definately antianxiety. I cannot even think about sitting in that chair for anything but cleaning! I now am done, but now that I have it taken care of, I will get the cleaning and oral care and all that. It feels really good to know.

I would just psych yourself up for the mindset that once you get it done, you just have to get cleanings and take care of them. I would research sedation and antianxiety meds just to get you there. I would not recommend waiting, I know I lost sleep for 3 weeks before my appointment! I planned out how I would handle the pain after ( I had vicodin "just in case" which I ended up getting sick from), get a good antiinflammatory solundec(sp?) for pain. And do good self-care before (vitamin c, good nutrition) plan on giving yourself some stress free days afterwards, i just crashed after all the anxiety.

Sorry to seem so lecturing. i JUST went through this, so I feel your pain. I literally had to make a plan to get through this without a nervous breakdown, and it wasn't nearly as bad as my brain made it out to be!

Good luck, everything will be okay!
Jenny

Closed Thread