It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2004, 12:30 AM   #1
Inactive

Paul R. HB User
Red face Jaw Kills After pulling Wisdom Teeth Out. Need advice.

6 days ago i pulled out 3 wisdom teeth. 2 top ones and bottom left. ( the right side was pulled 3 years ago) Anyways went home, bleeding stopped soon after.

Here are the problems I am having now and it no seem to get any better.

#1. My jaw feels so tight, specially around the joint area by the ears. I cannot open my mouth more then 1 inch. There is constant pressure in the jaw joint area like my head is being squeezed in a vice. Is This normal? why is it happening and for how long? This pain gets worse when i am sitting down at the PC for some reason.

#2. I have a really hard time chewing anything, reason being that for some reason it feels like my gums are being pulled inwards so when i chew my back teeth seem to grab on to them at at times cut them. I already have some scars becasue of this. It used to happen b4 but now even worse after surgery. Why is this happening?

#3. One month ago i had a Root Canal performed on my Left molar, it healed up nice and it was fine, but after the wisdom tooth removal, it has becoem very sore and i cannot bite down on it anymore. Is this normal?

#4. I have this really weird feeling, kinda like a really dull ache, ( not painfull at all) where my top wisdom teeth were. It just feels really weird and wondering if that too is normal or could it be Dry Socket.

Some say one should be able to look into the holes, well I can barely open my mouth but from what i can see i cannot see the whole, it seems that the gum was stiched over??? Anyways I know the above is asking too much, but my oral surgeon went on holidays soon after my surgery and I am only scheduled to see him now on the 28th. I worried I will no be able to enjoy my xmas becasue of this. It is just unconfortable but the jaw pain is really making it hard for me to sleep or concentrate on anything.

Thanx to all who can reply and shed soem light.

Paul R.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User
Re: Jaw Kills After pulling Wisdom Teeth Out. Need advice.

Welcome Paul, I hope we can help.

I just had all 4 impacted wisdoms out last Wednesday (8 days ago). My jaw joints still ache quite a bit, especially when I first wake up and more so at night before I retire.

I too have problems eating foods that require me to chew. My gums are still inflamed and swollen from the extraction, and chewing really irritates them. I don't think I bite them when I chew, but I have bitten a few nice holes on the insides of my cheeks. You may be chewing your gums as you eat if they are still inflamed, I know I did before removal.

As for your root canal, your whole mouth may be more sensitive for a bit until fully healed.

From what I understand, dry socket is pretty painful and usually occurs within the first 4 days of extraction, if the blot clot has become dislodged. Where all of my teeth were extracted in my mouth there is a steady dull ache also. I got my sutures removed on Tuesday and each day is a little better, but not much. I can see a big deep hole in one of my lowers, I called my OS and he said this was normal, but it would take a few months, my gums will fully heal from the inside out. He told me to be careful with it and said if I thought I had food stuck in it that a little peroxide would safely bubble it out.

My sutures stitched over my whole gum. If you got stiches and did not get an appointment to have them removed they must be the kind that dissolve on their own. With the way your jaw is aching they must have done a number getting your teeth out, especially if you were asleep . I have been taking OTCs (naproxen, ibuprofen) and they seem to help a little bit. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your christmas.

Last edited by mellowfish; 12-23-2004 at 01:15 PM.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

I had a similar experience years ago when I had a filling replaced. Apparently the dentist pulled my mouth open too wide and pulled some tendons, muscles in my jaw. I could only open my mouth a little bit and I had to talk as if I was clenching my teeth for a few weeks. Felt like if I could just have a BIG yawn I'd feel better, but that just made things worse. I did call the dentist and they said to take pain killers and eventually it should go away, if it didn't to call them and they said something about using a splint. Luckily it went away. I switched dentists shortly afterwards for TORTURING me like that!

Old 12-23-2004, 02:07 PM   #4
Inactive

Paul R. HB User

First I want to thank you for the replies. It is good to know that I am not just going crazy and that this is possible and others have experienced it.

Today it looks like i can open my mouth about 1/8 of an inch more then yesterday. LOL Actually i think it is still the same and pain at the joint is still there. It even makes me dizzy at times. My jaw was definately forced for sure so they could get to my top wisdom teeth. The bottom one was already errected past the gums so that one should've been easy to take out without having to force the mouth open.

However I still find it weird that when i bite down for some reason my back teeth grab on to the side of my mouth. This can be quite aanoyign and painfull as i have bit my self and left wounds because of it. Is it normal ? to be like that after wisdom teeth removal??

The tooth i had the root canal does not hurt as much today so i guess maybe it just needs to time for my whole mouth to heal. Right now my main concern is really my jaw joints and the bitting of the side of the mouth.

Do you guys have any relief methods for the above ( jaw pain) other then pain killers, maybe something that can accelerate the healing process of my jaw.

I want to eat a steak so bad and i Can't.

Thank you again,

Happy Holidays to you all.

Old 12-23-2004, 03:32 PM   #5
(female)

norrell HB User

I'm pretty sure your jaw pain is from the result of extracting your wisdom teeth. Sometimes when your jaw is forced to open wider than normal and for an extended time you can dislocate the disc that is between your jaw joint. This will cause some clicking and popping and sometimes with annoying pain. Go back to your oral surgeon and explain to him your symptoms. If you have injuries to the disc there is nothing you can do but let nature takes its time to heal. Hopefully it will but not always.

You keep biting the sides of your cheek because your wisdom teeth is not there anymore so you naturally bite your cheek. You will have to train your mouth not to do that.

You have a lot going on right now so just take it one step at a time. No need to panic. Just allow yourself to heal and take care of yourself.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:09 AM   #6
Inactive

Paul R. HB User
Talking Re: Jaw Kills After pulling Wisdom Teeth Out. Need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothfairy28
I'm pretty sure your jaw pain is from the result of extracting your wisdom teeth. Sometimes when your jaw is forced to open wider than normal and for an extended time you can dislocate the disc that is between your jaw joint. This will cause some clicking and popping and sometimes with annoying pain. Go back to your oral surgeon and explain to him your symptoms. If you have injuries to the disc there is nothing you can do but let nature takes its time to heal. Hopefully it will but not always.

You keep biting the sides of your cheek because your wisdom teeth is not there anymore so you naturally bite your cheek. You will have to train your mouth not to do that.

You have a lot going on right now so just take it one step at a time. No need to panic. Just allow yourself to heal and take care of yourself.
I appreciate your response.
I no longer bite the sides of my mouth anymore. Thank God. My jaw still hurts me very much around the joint area (in front of ear) and I can only open my mouth wide enough to fit about a finger and a half in it. I remember i was able to fit 3 fingers b4. I tried eating a BigMac from macdonalds and I had to basically take it apart in half so i could fit a bite in my mouth.

The 2 top wisdom teeth site of surgery seems to be healing just fine, however i do have swelling around the area where there are stitches remaining, and usually get bleeding from it after eating ( barely noticeable bleeding)

However the bottom wisdom tooth that was removed seems rather weird. It seems that i still have the whole there. I really cannot tell what is going on back there but something does not feel right back there, also I have a lump on the gum right by the extraction that hurts to the touch. I dunno what is going on but definately not right. Will find out tommorow what is going during my checkup visit.

The other complaint i have is the throbbing pain i have been getting on te tooth where the root canal was performed, it wasn't hurting me prior to the wisdom tooth extraction, but has been hurting me since, weird cuz if it had a root canal done to it then i would assume that there is no nerve so i am not sure why i am feeling this pain.

Even then, right now i must tell you my number one concern is my jaw, the pain and siconfort is just unbeareable. Anyways i am goign back to the oral surgeon tommorow, i hope, and will report back on what he says.

Again thanx to all who ha helped me calm down a little and enjoy my X-mas.

Old 12-29-2004, 01:23 AM   #7
Inactive

Paul R. HB User

So i went to the OS today for my follow up. He looked and said everything looks good. I told him about my jaw pain and the fact that i Could not open my mouth very wide. he said it was normal, and to apply heat, Chew lots of gum, and do excersizes by strtching the jaw open 12 times a day for 10 minutes relaxing it for an hour in between.

I am scheduled to go back Jan 7th for yet another follow up.

I mentioned the swealling in my gums where i have the stiches and he again said it was normal and with the course of time as they fall off the gum wil heal and the swealling will go away.

I mentioned to him about the throbbing pain on the molar i recently perfomed the Root Canal on, he said that the pain i was felling was probably from the wisdom tooth removal section and not the Molar. ( refered pain ??)

Anyways the nurse gave me syringe, she said i should've gotten one at the hospital after surgert and should've been using it to clear out the garbage from the holes. Well i neved did get one from the hospital but I do now.
I just used it to clear out my hole on the bottom ( as for the top i cannot even tell or see any holes) anyways i squirted a couple of times and ohh my god I cannot believe the amount of leftover food that came out. I guess teh whole is pretty big i was surprised to see all tha left over food. it must have been in there for a while now since I had never used the sytinge b4. I plan on using it after every meal.

The doc also told me that i should stop smoking as it would definately help in the healing process.

So this is my update so dar, I just hope this jaw pain goes away and that I can soon open my mouth like a normal person.

Thanx To all who have helped me so much here. After all this is healed up I can then concentrate on figuring out the problem with my ears.

Still trying to get diagnosed as to it being a ETD problem or TMJ.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:57 AM   #8
(female)

norrell HB User

It sounds like you need lots of healing time for your jaw to get back to normal. Referred pain is not uncommon after a root canal.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:11 AM   #9
Inactive

Paul R. HB User

my jaw is finally better, i can now fit 2 fingers without forcing it open. also the pain is not as bad as before.

i can now open the mouth wide enough to see the whole where the tooth was. Is it normal to have big hole like that?? How long before it closes up ??

Also have this annoying lump on my gum by the site of extraction that is really annoying, anyone have any idea what the hell it is ??

Thanx again.

Closed Thread