It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 03:12 PM   #1

rgriffin HB User
Red face burning mouth syndrome at 27

I'm a 27 (just turned 27) female who has symptoms of burning mouth syndrome (BMS). Typically this happens to women after menopause, but since I'm so lucky, I got it at 26. Anway, last Feb. 2004 I had dry mouth, and some irritation, it went away. It came back a couple times prior to July, but then it came back in july and I have had it daily since. Some days is worse than others. I've been to my PCP, dentist and ENT. The ENT assures me it is not cancer, but no one knows what is causing this. Especially since i'm so young. I didn't know if I could possibly find someone else who has this. I do pretty good mentally for a while, but then I just really get down. My husband and I are tying to have a baby, and that's not working either. I just hope there is nothing wrong with me that would affect my baby (if I ever get pregnant) that might be causing this. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
(female)

Bethrandi HB User
Re: burning mouth syndrome at 27

Ask your dentist about taking extra vitamin b-12(no prescription) and Nystatin lozengers (prescription.) My sister started with burning mouth at age 25 (she is now 32)....stress seems to play a big part of it.

The Nystatin really helps her.

Good luck,
Beth (-:

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 07:52 AM   #3

rgriffin HB User

I actually had blood test results come back today from the ENT. I am not anemic, but my B12 levels were high. Don't know what that means yet. I guess your sister is still having problems, but hopefully hasn't gone crazy yet. Are the Nystatin lozenges the only thing that helps? Thanks for the response.

Old 12-28-2004, 03:03 PM   #4
(female)

Bethrandi HB User

Hi Rgriffin,

The Nystatin definitely helps my sister when she has a bad bout of burning mouth (she used to be on the liquid which she would swish around in her mouth and swallow. Just recently she was put on the lozengers which dissolve in the mouth over a short period of time.)

It is an awful problem to have - it seems to be more prominent when she is under a great deal of stress - and who is NOT these days??!! Whenever her tongue is "burning" the dentist will also give her a very low dose of alprolazam (don't know if I spelled that correctly..) which is an anti-anxiety medication. She has never been on any mouth rinses.

If it is any comfort at all, it seems to come and go pretty quickly (a week to two at most, every 2-3 months.)

I hope you are getting some answers from your dentist and I hope you feel better knowing there are others out there that understand what you're dealing with!!

Regards,
Beth (-:

Old 01-03-2005, 08:09 AM   #5

rgriffin HB User

Did your sister ever have any children after this starting happening? We're TTC, but so far nothing. I just wanted to know if she had any problems. Also, when she first got this how long was her longest timeframe without it going away. I've had it now constantly (daily) since July. I just need a break. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-06-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
(female)

Nance77 HB User

Hi..
I am experiecing this right now and it is driving me crazy...I havent been to a doctor yet, just reading up on the internet..I have a dentist appt next week to repair an old filling and I am going to ask him about it..
I woke up with it on New Years Day out of the blue...My tongue burns and feels numb, mostly at the tip, as if I scalded my mouth with hot liquid(but I dont remember doing that, or eating anything extremely hot)..It is kinda tingly also and I feel like I cant taste foods like I could before, and certain spicy or salty foods are irritating now...Is this how your symptoms are?
I used to use Listerine mouthwash but stopped using it since I got this...Everyday I am hoping it will go away on its own, but so far not..I just had all bloodwork done and everything was normal...I cant see anything at all different on my tongue, do u?
I also take a multivitamin everyday, but I guess I will get extra b-12...I am 46 and in peri menopause, but it says most women are post-menopausal..
I have xanax, but havent tried it yet... I do have alot of anxiety and stress right now, and am depressed, so I dont know if that is causing this to flare up also...Any help or advice you could give me would be appreciated..
Thanks!
Nancy

Old 01-10-2005, 11:04 AM   #7

Sae HB User

Have you been checked for Sjogren's Syndrome? A Rheumatologist would be able to do this. It's symptoms: dry mouth, burning mouth, etc. Although it affects mostly women over 50, there are many women in their 20s who have it.

Old 01-11-2005, 06:19 AM   #8
(female)

lavenderfields HB User

I had the same painful aching and burning mouth tongue and gums since April of last year. I was told that burning mouth syndrome was a possibility. Well, after seeing 4 doctors a dermatologist finally diagnosed me with Oral Lichen Planus. I have been using Lidex ointment orabase (topical steroid) and nystatin for 2 weeks now and it is relieving it. Did your Dr. check you for this?

Old 01-11-2005, 07:24 AM   #9

rgriffin HB User

No they haven't. I have considered the Dermatologist, but wasn't sure if they would know anything either. I think I'll try and make an appt. and mention this. Thanks. Any relief would be wonderful. How old are you? Do you fit the description of a BMS person? Menopause etc...

Old 01-11-2005, 10:35 AM   #10
(female)

lavenderfields HB User

I am in my 40s I just had a hysterectomy in Sept. and my ovaries were left. I've had blood work done to check my hormone levels and was told they are normal so I know that I'm not going thru menopause.

I highly recommend seeing a dermatologist. My family Dr. referred me to one. At first I didn't understand why but I'm glad that I went because he was very knowledgeable. I just wish I had been sent to him at first and not had to put up with this for eight months. When I told him my symptoms he told me he thought it was one of two things either BMS or oral lichen planus, he also said it could be both. When he looked in my mouth he immediately told me I had oral lichen planus. He prescribed the lidex and the nystatin and told me it would help the oral lichen planus but if I also had BMS I would still have a lot of burning even taking these and that he would then try me on a small dose of neurontin when I returned in a month. I think it would be worthwhile for you to go to a dermatologist.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #11

rgriffin HB User

I guess you had visual signes that you had Oral Lichen Planus. The ENT I see says my tongue looks completely normal to him. To me, I think there has been slight changes. I'm going to make an apt. (I tried to make an apt., and the Dermatologists here do not see any oral problems.) Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.
I hope you start feeling better soon, and it goes away forever!

Last edited by rgriffin; 01-11-2005 at 12:42 PM.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:18 PM   #12

ggharger HB User

Go to the health food store they have some loung. that you can take put out by Dr. Thayer that works great! They also have a spray that works better than that and it will put instant moisture in your mouth. Stay away from mouth washes with acholol. Eat yogurt as well. Walmart has a mouth moisture gel put out by Oral Jel that works the best that I have found and you can find it around the mouth washes. I suffer with this constantly and have learned how to deal with it using these products. Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #13
Veteran

whatamess@35 HB User

I can tell you what i have learned:
You can be tested for b12 deficiency and be told your in normal ranges and yet still be low ..
I have burning nerve pain and have been told my b12 levels were ok too.Well i have been doing some homework on my own,I have discovered that you can buy b12 over the counter 1000mcg pills at any drugstore.I am currently taking 4 pills aday and its working to ease my burning pain in my neck/shoulders and feet.
I have been taking alot of meds that only last for a lil while.I have only been taking this b vitamin for a few days and feel some relief already~
This is a water soluable vitamin so you dont have to worry about loading up your liver and having more problems..
You will have to take high amount every 2-3 days to feel results though.As i said i am taking 4 pills a day.Dont take it at the same time as other pills.Take it alone..You may even need the superior product of b12 it starts with an m but i cant spell it ..LOL .I hope someone comes along that can..That one may work even faster for you~What you have going on really sounds like a b12 deficiency.I AM NOT A DOCTOR BUT I F I CAN POSSIBLY HELP ANOTHER THE WAY I HAVE BEEN HELPED I WILL GLADLY PASS ALONG ANY INFO I HAVE~
I know what it is like to have so many thimngs going on and go to doctor after doctor and still have nothing but an empty wallet~
Please check this info out..Hope you get some answers for yourself soon~

Last edited by moderator2; 01-12-2005 at 08:47 AM.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #14
(female)

lavenderfields HB User

Try biotene toothpaste it is a very gentle toothpaste that doesn't contain sodium lauryl sulfate. Sodium lauryl sulfate is the ingredient that causes the toothpaste to foam it is a detergent and it can cause burning in the mouth when people are sensitive to it. I found it at Kerr Drug but someone told me they also have found it at Walmart. It has printed on the package that it also helps with dry mouth. Biotene also has a mouthwash that is gentle and it doesn't contain alcohol.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:47 AM   #15

rgriffin HB User

I have tried the Biotene products, and they really didn't do anything for me. I'm currently using a Sensodyne toothpaste, that does not have the sodium lauryl sulfate listed. I have made another dental appt. for Feb., so maybe since I can't see a dermatologist I can discuss some of these other options with him. I really am ready to not have to think about this. Does anyones pain/burning go away when they eat? I feel perfectly normal when I'm eating, and actually forget for a little while that I have this problem. No wonder I'm gaining weight. Thanks for all the responses.

Closed Thread