It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2004, 10:59 PM   #1
(female)

jc60656 HB User
Please Help! Floss stuck between my teeth!

I was flossing my teeth, and a huge peice of it got stuck between my back molars. It is pushing my other teeth together, and is really starting to hurt. I tried getting it out with another peice of floss, and I also bought 20$ worth of dental products from the store that are small enough to shove in there, but the peice of floss WILL NOT BUDGE!!! Any advice??? Please help me Its driving me nuts!!!
Thanks

Old 12-29-2004, 04:44 AM   #2
(female)

norrell HB User
Re: Please Help! Floss stuck between my teeth!

All I can say is keep trying to floss or use a toothpick. If you were able to put floss thru that space in the first place, you should be able to put floss thru it again. Get floss down there and run it under the gumline and pull it thru instead of popping the floss out like you would normally. Hopefully you would've gotten it out by the time you read this message.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2004, 06:44 AM   #3

Palter HB User

I had a similar experience with floss getting caught between molars, and despite my efforts to dislodge it, nothing worked. Only a visit to the dentist showed that there was a large cavity between the molars that was snagging the floss. I haven't had any problems since the new filling was placed. Palter

Old 12-29-2004, 07:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

hayley0610 HB User

i know this may sound kind of strange but ive had this happen and there was actually nothing stuck i had just scratched my gums and it felt like something was still caught in it.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:20 AM   #5
(female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
Exclamation Re: Please Help! Floss stuck between my teeth!

JC--

My advice to you -- See your dentist!!! I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple months ago & I could not get the stupid piece of floss to budge. So I figured the heck with that & left it alone. Only about 1 week later that whole side of my mouth swelled up and my jaw and gums became sore and bloody. I went to the dentist and was told that the tiny little piece of floss that was stuck had caused an infection in my mouth. I had to get a shot to numb it up and the dentist had to dig around my gums with this sharp metal thing for like a half hour to find the floss. In only ONE WEEK it had embedded itself under the gumline & caused a HORRIBLE infection. My dentist told me if I had waited any longer I would have ended up with a whole slew of complications. Rule of thumb... if you cannot remove the floss, go to the dentist. It is not worth the pain and agony of what I had to go through!!!

Old 12-29-2004, 11:07 PM   #6
Veteran

lateeth HB User

My dentist recently gave me an interdental brush. I don't know if this is one of the things you already tried but it is like a thin pipe cleaner on the end of a brush handle. You can slide it between your molars and it amazingly pushes out all sorts of stuff. Sometimes, I floss and think i got everything then i try this interdental brush and more stuff comes out. This thing is amazing for getting stuck stuff out.

Old 01-02-2005, 08:46 PM   #7
(female)

jc60656 HB User

Thanks everyone for your ideas. Like I said, i tried all kinds of stuff that I bought from the drug store in a panic, and nothing seemed to work, and about an hour later, I got the idea to tie a knot in a new piece of floss and run it through there, and voila! it came right out. And now, i have almost 30$ worth of dental tools just sitting around that I will most likely never use again.

Thanks again!
Janine

Old 01-04-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
(female)

RachelmLo HB User

SEE YOUR DENTIST ASAP!!!!! If after all of what you have done the floss is still there, there is most certainly a problem.

Old 01-04-2005, 07:38 PM   #9
(female)

jc60656 HB User

Rachel-
Thanks, but I did get the floss out, simply by tying a knot in a new peice of floss and running that between my teeth. A very easy solution to an annoying problem! I wasted all that money on supplies for nothing!

thanks though!
Janine

Closed Thread