It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
(female)

boompagirl HB User
New filling sensitivity and now Jaw Pain

I had a filling done about 3 weeks ago. About 2-3 days after the filling (Dec 24) I started getting severe jaw pain as well as filling sensitivity. My upper right molar was filled and the jaw pain is on the left side. I went back to the dentist after Christmas weekend, who found there was a high spot. He ground it down and it felt much better at first, but the pain in my jaw never subsided, as well as the sensitivity in the tooth when I bite down on something hard or eat something sweet. It is like a "soft spot" and I feel a piercing pain. Currently, I can't bite down correctly due to the jaw pain and also opening my mouth is starting to hurt. I have never had TMJ, or jaw pain of any sort. I don't get headaches or any other pain associated with this new jaw pain. I am planning on going back to the dentist, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen or what could be causing the jaw pain. I don't know much about this, but could my high spot on the right side have thrown my jaw out on the left side?? I need to get more mercury fillings replaced, but I don't want to do anything until this issue is resolved.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
(female)

RachelmLo HB User
Re: New filling sensitivity and now Jaw Pain

It is possible the filling may need to be ground down further. It is not uncommon with the white fillings to need a few adjustments before they are correct. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
(female)

Amby HB User

I just wanted to say that I'm experiencing the very same thing... and in many of my teeth that have been recently worked on. I'm still getting treated and the pain hasn't gotten any better. They keep saying it's my gums or that my bite is off...but they aren't fixing it. I have that piercing, electric-like pain when I bite down on something hard or sweet as well... It's really awful. I also have the jaw pain and even some swelling. It's very uncomfortable. I've been living on room temp mashed potatoes and unsweetened apple sauce. It's getting me very upset because I feel it'll never go away.

Sorry I have no advice as I'm lost too - but know that I understand what you are going through.

Last edited by Amby; 01-11-2005 at 08:20 PM.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
(female)

debberd2 HB User

I am SO feeling all your pain! I had a metal filling (my only cavity) replaced on 10/6/04 and I still experience jaw pain, metallic taste, shooting pains, headaches, it never ends. I have been to the dentist 12 times in 3 months, an oral surgeon and my GP to no avail. I went last Tuesday 1/4/05 to take it out and put a different composite in and it felt good for 2 days but is back again. First thought it was TMJ, then a pulled muscle; nobody can figure it out. I'm so tired of it!!! I don't think yours needs to be "ground down", I've had mine ground down a half dozen times. I've had 4 Xrays and the filling looked fine. Not sure what the heck is going on. I spent the first month or more eating mashed potatoes, etc. trying not to open my mouth much. Doesn't matter. Now I eat what I want because I know that's not my jaw (???) and I get shivers throughout my body no matter what I eat (think of nails on a chalk board). From a filling? THIS IS WEIRD!!! BTW: Before getting a new filling earlier this week, the jaw pain was where your earlobe connects; now it is more in the corner where my mouth opens (in that joint)

Last edited by debberd2; 01-14-2005 at 04:27 PM.

Old 01-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #5
(female)

Amby HB User

debberd2, I can't believe you said the chalk board thing. I am getting that too!!! I tried explaining it to my family and the dentist and they don't understand how I can get that feeling from dental work!

Wow. Maybe we have the same thing happening?? I wish we knew what the hell it was.

I now get uncomfortable chills even when I THINK about eating something hard or cold or brushing my teeth. How odd is that??

I notice I am starting to suck on my teeth, like use my mouth as a vaccuum 'cos I can't stand the weird sensation in my gums and teeth. That makes me hold my jaw weird which then worsens that problem. Ah!!!

Gosh, so strange. I sure hope we can all figure out what is wrong!

Good luck to you both...

Old 02-03-2005, 05:35 PM   #6
(female)

boompagirl HB User

So I went back I think maybe 3 times to have my tooth ground down, etc finally he gave me a perscription for Motrin and a muscle relaxant; this solved the jaw pain problem. Still having the sensitivity though in the tooth......Since then I have been fitted for my TMJ splint (because the dentist is insisting I have TMJ even though I have had no past jaw problems)...I also had two more fillings done (mercury replacement). I am not having as MANY problems with these two, but let me tell you they are also no walk in the park. Still senesitivity. I am not sure at this point if it is the dentist, the composite fillings, or WHAT?!?? I have decided though to get a second opinion. I have one more filling scheduled (mercury replacement) when I pick up my TMJ splint, that I am going to hold off on......The reason I was having the mercury redone is because my teeth were cracking and the dentist told me eventually the tooth could just crack off and then I would need a crown....which I have read here on these boards that it has happened.....I am wondering if him drilling out the crack is what caused sensitivity??

Anyhow, I would all suggest the motrin and muscle relaxant for the jaw pain...It worked wonders for me.

My upper molar is throbbing just talking about all of this....

Nicole

Last edited by boompagirl; 02-03-2005 at 05:38 PM.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:20 AM   #7
(male)

saxman26 HB User

Thanks for the info Nicole, Im worried about my jaw stiffness lately since my bite has been adjusted. Its nice to know you have fixed yours, hopefully mine wont be too bad, I too have never had any TMJ problems before.

Old 03-03-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

alig HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boompagirl
I had a filling done about 3 weeks ago. About 2-3 days after the filling (Dec 24) I started getting severe jaw pain as well as filling sensitivity. My upper right molar was filled and the jaw pain is on the left side. I went back to the dentist after Christmas weekend, who found there was a high spot. He ground it down and it felt much better at first, but the pain in my jaw never subsided, as well as the sensitivity in the tooth when I bite down on something hard or eat something sweet. It is like a "soft spot" and I feel a piercing pain. Currently, I can't bite down correctly due to the jaw pain and also opening my mouth is starting to hurt. I have never had TMJ, or jaw pain of any sort. I don't get headaches or any other pain associated with this new jaw pain. I am planning on going back to the dentist, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen or what could be causing the jaw pain. I don't know much about this, but could my high spot on the right side have thrown my jaw out on the left side?? I need to get more mercury fillings replaced, but I don't want to do anything until this issue is resolved.
How many white fillings do you have? Are they the type of white fillings that took two visits to place or the direct one visit type?
I had about fifteen amalgams replaced with white direct composite filling about five years ago. Sice them I have had nothing but problems that even stretch beyond the dental realm into the realm of over all health. Make sure if you do get more amalgams replaced that you go to a dentist who uses precautions to not let you swallow all the bits of mercury he drill out. (rubber dam around the tooth being de-amalgamed, suction, air source into the nose so no mouth breathing occurs).

Old 03-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #9
(female)

sunflower22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alig
How many white fillings do you have? Are they the type of white fillings that took two visits to place or the direct one visit type?
I had about fifteen amalgams replaced with white direct composite filling about five years ago. Sice them I have had nothing but problems that even stretch beyond the dental realm into the realm of over all health. Make sure if you do get more amalgams replaced that you go to a dentist who uses precautions to not let you swallow all the bits of mercury he drill out. (rubber dam around the tooth being de-amalgamed, suction, air source into the nose so no mouth breathing occurs).
I have TMJ and I wear an upper 24/7 splint but it helps with the pain and if I didn't wear it then things would be really bad so I have it pretty bad. So if anyone has a question due to TMJ just ask me.

Closed Thread