It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2005, 05:49 PM   #1

SherryElaine HB User
Tooth will not numb for root cancal

Hey guys, I went in for a Root Canal 3 days ago, "Monday" and the Dentist gave me shots and it numbed my lip, tongue and face, he went to do the Root Canal and YIKES I could fill the drill so he stops and deadens me up some more and still I fell it and he has to quit. He tried about 5 or 6 times I think and still the inside of the tooth would not numb, so he sent me home and I am to go back Friday to try again after I take steroids for 5 days and if that does not work then I will have to have IV sedation maybe. Any one else ever have this problem?

Old 01-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #2
(female)

RachelmLo HB User
Re: Tooth will not numb for root cancal

It is not uncommon for some patients to not get numb, even after several shots. If the tooth is infected, it often will not numb well because the infection fights off dental anesthetic. Hope next time goes better for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #3

sarkos HB User

Well I'm sure glad SOMEONE else has this problem. I've had three root canals (including one retreatment) and it's ridiculous. My endodontist uses the "works" as he calls it, and my tooth starts waking up every 5 minutes. It gets to the point where I have so much novacain that my heart rates rises due to the epinephrine and I freak out. I have an apicoectomy scheduled next week and am so nervous that I won't be able to stay numb. It baffles my dentist.

Anyone know why this happens? My body metabolizes it really fast, and halfway through every procedure I've had to go to the bathroom. Annoying!!!!

Old 01-05-2005, 07:18 PM   #4

SherryElaine HB User

I have had plenty of other dental procedures done and never had a problem with the novacaine. This is the first time. The Dentist said I have a nerve like a Wsidom tooth nerve in there. He said they are hard to numb. It is the tooth next to where my wisdom tooth use to be. I don't have an infection. Just a cracked tooth with nerve pain. Had crown put on and it still hurt to chew on it so that is why he decided to do the root canal.

Old 01-05-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
(female)

joyceyip HB User

Yes, this is very common. Infection is the main reason why your tooth can't get numb. Most of the time, the dentist would put you on antibiotics and pain killer for few days. I am sure once your infection is cleared, you will have no problem.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:47 AM   #6
Inactive

Paul R. HB User

I had the same problem. Right molar cracked and i never fixed it for like 2 years. Well it got so bad, that when i went to the desntist the shot me numerous times, and it just wouldn't get numb. It was so infected the novacaine wouldn't get through. Anyways what i did was endedup doing it under IV sedation, it was beautifull, didn;t feel a thing. So just you know your experience is completely common amongst many.

Old 01-11-2005, 11:38 AM   #7

SherryElaine HB User

Thanks for all the reply's... I went back to the Dentist Friday and the same thing happened again after taking antibotics and steriods. He gave me numerous shots and after sending me thru the roof about 4 times hitting that nerve when he drilled he finally got it numb, he said it was unexplainable, is was not an infection, that it was a nerve that was not suppose to be in there but he did finally get it numb and got the canal finished and so far so good. I hope I never have that experence again. He said things like this make Denistry interesting, I said maybe for you but not for me... haha..

Old 01-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #8

ggharger HB User

Hey guys, I have the same problem! I just had 6 teeth removed and the oral surgeon did a nerve block on me and I had no problem at all and felt nothing! Where before no one had been able to get me numb since 1996 so I say go for the nerve block!

Closed Thread