It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 03:50 AM   #1
(male)

YEL-MEL HB User
Red face mandibular tori removal ?

I have a large mandibular tori under my tongue. It needs to be reomoved because it is starting to bother me when eating. Has anyone had this done ?
I would love to hear from anyone , because I am quite nervous about it. I not sure how the recovery might be ( pain ). I had sinus surgery once , Im sure nothing can be as bad as that...

Thanks for any feedback

Old 01-11-2005, 11:35 AM   #2
(female)

norrell HB User
Re: mandibular tori removal ?

I have never had that done but I know a lot of patients had it done. Please be advised that it can grow back many yrs down the road. Oral surgeons will do the surgery. I am not sure of the recovery time or how painful it is. Removing bone from the mouth can not be too fun. But if you have to do it then you don't have much choice. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #3
(female)

bettygodda HB User
Thumbs up Re: mandibular tori removal ?

I had the operation a year ago and it really isn't that bad. I was terrified before the surgery. I had novacaine only for the surgery. I had huge tori along both sides of the inside of my jaw restricting the place where my tongue was supposed to be. The surgery took about maybe an hour or less. The surgeon gave me anti-swelling medicine along with antibiotocs and percocet. I only took a couple of percocet. There wasn't that much pain. Acutally having to keep gause pressed inside my mouth was the worst part. I gag easily so the gause really bothered me but that was only for about 48 hours. The reason for that is to keep blood from finning the cavity left between where the skin used to and it is now. It takes a couple of months for the gum skin to shrink back to the bone. I was abl to eat soft food (scrambled eggs, jello, yogurt) the next day. The day of the surgery I was so exhausted from worry and stress that I only drank a cold McDonalds milk shake and jello. The stitches came out a week later and that was it. I had it done on a friday and was able to go to work on Monday.
Good Luck

Closed Thread