It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

Bobba65 HB User
How bad can dentures be?

My oral surgeon sent me to a prosthodontist to determine why the crown on my only implant won't stay on. He x-rayed all my teeth and told me it would cost a total of $20,000 to fix all my problems. I'm middleaged and have Sjogren's. It causes dry mouth and tooth decay. I want to have all lower teeth out and maybe upper, too. How much should good dentures cost? Do they really only last 5-10 years because of bone loss? Does anyone know what happens when a person has only lower dentures and keeps their upper teeth? I also have a crossbite.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
(female)

norrell HB User
Re: How bad can dentures be?

I would not advise you to get complete upper and lower dentures unless you have too and there is no other alternative. Upper denture is easier to wear because you have suction gravity but lower denture is harder to manage for most ppl. Most dentists will try to hold on to a few teeth on the lower and make you a partial. Most patients have success with upper denture. I understand it can be frustrating with your dry mouth and it seems that getting dentures will solve all your problems. That may or may not be the case. One alternative is to get get a couple of implants on the lower jaw and get an overdenture. That will definitely work and you don't have to worry about it slipping and sliding in your mouth. You should prob. do fine with the upper denture alone if you have to get it. The cost depends on where you live. A good and well made denture should last at least 10 years and usually much longer if you take care of it. Every now and then you will need to get it religned due to bone loss but that is not a major task. All they do is add some material to your denture to make it fit better due to bone loss. Bottom line is try to hold on to your teeth. Opt for partials instead of dentures.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2005, 05:57 PM   #3

Yos HB User

Hi Bobba,

What toothfairy said is absolutely right. Dentures are a good alternative for bad teeth but not a good one for teeth that are still in reasonable condition. But another factor is cost and the life expectancy of any natural teeth that are repaired. For instance, $20,000 is a lot of money to spend on teeth that might only last a couple of years. Assuming you're in the US or Canada, a complete set of dentures with simple extractions will likely cost in the $4,000-$6,000 range. The cost could increase significantly if any other oral surgery is needed and/or if you choose implants. Lower dentures are a pain wihtout some kind of anchor such as natural teeth or an implant. I have a partial lower denture which is anchored by two remaining eye teeth. If/when they give out I'll have implants put in.

How bad can dentures be? Well, they're not bad at all....if you don't have any other choices. Consider your options carefully, especially where wearing dentures and the possible difficulties that Sjogren's might present . Once your natural teeth have been extracted there's no putting them back in. I would strongly suggest you keep as many natural teeth as you can.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:09 AM   #4

Sae HB User

Is your dentist familiar with Sjogren's? Having implants is more difficult due to infections because of dry mouth. With dentures you will need to use saliva substitutes and gels, but people with Sjogren's do manage. You will also need to watch for bacteria with dentures due to dry mouth. There is a site called Dentures "A New Smile" that is very helpful to denture wearers and might answer some of your questions.

Closed Thread