It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 08:53 AM   #1

robnj111 HB User
Talking Bone Fragment Poking Out after Extraction-Sequestrum?

I had a tooth out about a month or so ago and now there is something hard poking out right beside the socket. I think it's a sequestrum, a piece of bone coming out but it's still stuck there. Should I be worried about it? I'm concerned about infection, abcess or bleeding. It doesn't hurt. What should I do and should I worry? Thank you for all your help!

Old 01-21-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
(female)

wideawakeinaz HB User
Re: Bone Fragment Poking Out after Extraction-Sequestrum?

i'm dealing with about the same thing, about 2 months after my tooth was pulled, now i have a small piece of bone popping out. i can't see my dentist due to schedules till febuaray. several of my friends at work said they did the same thing and that you can just let it go, it will fall out on its own.

i was told, brush your gums...no idea why, but several people said when they brushed the gums with the bone popping out, the fragment fell out.

mine is small, doesn't cause any problems. i don't know if i'll see the dentist or not. i guess it just depends how long the bone stays and if it starts to hurt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
(female)

Noel's girl HB User

All You Have To Do About The Bone Fragment Is Maybe Get Some Oragel Rub It On The Soar Spot And Then Take A Pair Of Tweezers And Pull It Out Yourself, Unless It Is To Large For It To Come Out By You Doing That, Then You Might Have To Wait Until It Comes Out On Its Own (which It Eventually Will) Or Wait Until You Can Make A Appt. At Your Dentist Office Or Go To Another Dentist Office And They Will Anes. It And Take It Out For You. Hopes This Helps.

[Please do not reference your professional medical title. Please re-read the board guidelines, by clicking the "Posting Rules" above. This is a peer to peer support board. Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Last edited by Well-come; 01-21-2005 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Remove reference to professional title.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Veteran

lateeth HB User

I had a similar jutting bone removed about two months after extractions. Mine was sawing away at my tongue so i had an emergency appt. The dentist told me that if it did not bother me it would have gone away on its own. I doubt if you would have to worry about infection any more than for a regular tooth as the gum around it is most likely healed up. Gums heal rather quickly.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
(male)

outer-edge HB User

I actually had one for over two years. It was really stuck in there. I finally had someone pull it out with a pair of pliers because I couldn't take it anymore.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
(female)

norrell HB User

If you have a fragment left from the extraction it will usually work it's way out. Give it some time and your body will naturaly rid of it. Unless you are in pain, then see your dentist. For some reassurance, call your office and they will prob. tell you the same thing. Most doctors anyways feel that way.

Old 01-24-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
(female)

klapel HB User

Just thought I would respond as well, since I am going through this too and I am a little freaked out by it. I have 2 pointy edges sticking out in the front of my gums, I am not sure if that is where yours are also. The dentist made it sound like they would be sticking out of the extraction site, but mine are not. I hope that doesn't mean anything bad. They can't get me in for another week. I have a little pain around the area and my jaw, but not too bad. I hope yours is feeling better and that it works its way out or gets removed soon. I am not sure how they remove them, but I am worried about that part too!

Old 07-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
(female)

clayton1 HB User

I had all teeth pulled, but dentist couldn't get a jaw tooth that was in sinus cavity out. Also bone is out of gums on that side also

Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

Clayton, sorry to hear that you have bone spurs. They can be a real pain. I have had several from tiny slivers that I have been able to remove by rubbing my fingernail back and forth across it, to a few that have been the size of my original bottom front teeth. Some of the larger ones I have had lasered out, if the dentist could get a strong enough hold on it.
Just in case you didn't know what caused these, they are the bone fragments that were between each natural tooth holding it securely in place. During the extraction these piece are broken off, splinter or fray. The pieces slowly work there way out to the top. It is very common and unfortunately they can be very painful. If you have any that are really large or you are unwilling to try to remove them yourself call your dentist. It will only take a short visit to remove them.

Good Luck, hope you heal quickly and best to you.
Casey

Closed Thread