It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

Drakes_mom HB User
Enamel and Black Walnut

Has anyone heard about using black walnut extract for natural tooth enamel restoration?
I have teeth suffering from the dreaded " mountain dew mouth" ...the enamel along the gum line is eroding.
I have no dental insurance so until I am better off financially I am stuck on a 12 month waiting list for the clinic to see me.
I have one small tube of prescription fluroide toothpaste I was given about 3 years ago ( when this was first diagnosed) and I try to use that as my nighttime supplement. Otherwise I am using the Arm and Hammer Liquid calcium toothpaste ( though a cursory look at the label doesn't show any differences between it and my Crest)
I read up on Black Walnut Hull extract and it said good things, so I bought some in the pill form ( a capsule with powder ) and thought I could use it like baking soda. But I am not sure if I am supposed to apply it and not rinse ( it is like brushing your teeth with dirt! ) or do I use a liquid form and mix it with my toothpaste?
I did read where the only real side effect to using it directly on teeth is it can leave stains. So how will I even know if those dark spots are filling and just stained or if theres any improvement.
As an aside-- the problem for me took a dramatic turn for the worse when I used my custom fitted ( by a dentist ) bleaching trays and then used over the counter whitening agents. I swear I just stripped away what enamel I did have, and opened the door even wider for this problem.
I am a caffeine addict so it is HARD not to drink pop, so I try to drink and then brush. Of course, some articles say brush immediately - don't let it rest on your teeth one second extra. Now other articles say. initially it is weakening your enamel, so brushing then is like exfoliating your teeth. let the soda " dry" and then brush.
Day to day it changes, huh? lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 11:36 AM   #2
(female)

norrell HB User
Re: Enamel and Black Walnut

I've never heard of the black walnut thingy you mentioned above. But I will say that you definitely NEED to cut down on the mountain dew. That is the worst soft drink and it is loaded with sugar! It's the main source of your decay I'm sure you knew that. Even if you get all your teeth restored and you continue to drink as much mount. dew as before, you will eventually end up with lots of decay again. You are better off training yourself not to drink as much. It's better if you drink something else besides mount. dew. All of the decay caused by the mount. dew are all preventable by you. You can get the prescription toothpaste at your pharmacist. It's not over the counter but you can ask the pharmacist and they will sell it to you without a script. At least in Florida you can.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
(female)

Drakes_mom HB User

Thank you, I will check with my pharmacist here. I had wondered why it had to be rx when it is a mere toothpaste.
I actually don't drink mountain dew- I have heard it is one of the worst - but this is the title this condition goes by. Still- any soda is bad, I know. Any sugar at all really...so I am a diligent brusher and if I have soda I just drink it and then brush, as opposed to sipping all day.
Have you heard any of the benefits of green tea with regards to enamel? The other thing I read was that swishing this around in your mouth is good for teeth ( sans sugar of course ).
Unfortunately, although I can control to an extent how much worse my mouth gets by being proactive, I can't find anyway of undoing the damage already done.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:46 PM   #4
(female)

norrell HB User

Once the damage has been done it's done. You can get it restored but can't reverse the process once the decay has broken thru the enamel of the tooth. If the decay has not been broken thru the first layer of the tooth then it is possible to reverse the process with fluoride. I've not heard anything about the green tea.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #5
(female)

Drakes_mom HB User

Thank you for replying!
Question - what are the restoration options both if it HAS and if it has not broken through?
I have no pain at this point, but theres certainly sensitivity if I try to touch some of the darkened areas with a toothpick ( yes I do crazy things like this ) . However basic eating and brushing has no ill effect.
can they just use the filling material to coat over the places where enamel is missing?
By fluoride treatments, do you mean the gooey stuff you bite down on in those trays for a couple of minutes, or is there another process used?
I really appreciate how you have been helping answer my questions!

Old 02-03-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
(female)

norrell HB User

Restoration is necessary if the decay has broken thru the enamel. If not broken thru then no restoration, it will be a "watch". Areas that are on watch can be remineralized if bathe enough with fluoride. When the outer layer of the tooth which is the enamel is "rubbed" off the second layer is the dentin. The dentin is darker color than the enamel like a little more yellow. This dentin layer is closer to the nerve so if you're "toothpicking" it then it will cause sensitivity. You can ask your dentist to apply a fluoride varnish to protect those exposed dentin. This will help prevent sensitivity and protect your teeth. The varnish should last 3-5 months or longer. It's generally inexpensive to have this done. Somewhere between $30-40 or maybe more. They can charge per tooth but most offices will charge per varnish container which makes more sense. Once a varnish container is open it can't be re-use so most will apply all the varnish in how ever many teeth needs it and charge it one time so the patient don't pay an arm and a leg. Especially it being lasting a few months only. The fluoride you described is one method. You can also buy these fl from your dentist and use it at home. It will be prescription strength fl. It comes in paste, gel, and rinsing. There are also fl you can take orally but as an adult you need topical fl treatments. Children can use the oral fl since their teeth are still developing. You can buy these prescription strength fl from your dentist or you can ask your pharmacist for it. In Florida it used to be a script but now it's over the counter. You won't find it but ask the pharmacist for it and they will get it for you. One popular take home fl is the Gel-Kam. You brush your teeth with this. Then no rinsing out with water, eating or drinking for half hour. Go see your dentist and see what he has to offer you in your particular case.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:21 PM   #7

yesmik2 HB User

Another one is Prevident....same thing though. Most drug stores will have it in generic too. One other product you may want to try is Enamelon which is now called Enamel Care--cost is about $4 per tube.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:34 PM   #8

yesmik2 HB User

I just went back and read page one. You said it's only at the gum line which may be due to gum recession allowing some roots to be exposed. If this is the case, no product will put enamel on roots. I'd go let a dentist check it out--not that it's big deal but if you don't like the looks of it you can have some resin material or varnish like toothfairy mentioned applied. The cost isn't that much.

Closed Thread