It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
(female)

Crit79 HB User
Post Peridontal Surgery Pain

I just had gum surgery on 2/9/05 and am still in a lot of pain. Just wondering if anyone else out there has also gone through this & can maybe shed some light on my situation. I've been taking 750 mg, sometimes more, of vicodin every 4 hours & the pain still comes back before the 4 hours are up. I've been drinking a lot of water which helps the pain before swallowing it. Anyone have any other suggestions???

Old 02-13-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
(female)

kitkat70 HB User
Re: Post Peridontal Surgery Pain

hi,
what kind of gum surgery did you have?
Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
(female)

Crit79 HB User

Gum Flap Surgery

Old 02-14-2005, 12:17 PM   #4
(male)

RedSoxFan13 HB User

I am having this surgery as well next week and would like to know what I am in for.

Old 02-15-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
(female)

Crit79 HB User

From what I have been told by my dentist, everybody reacts differently. I am beginning to think, I got the worst end of it. He told me, some people have no pain at all. This certainly wasn't the case for me. For the first 2 days, I had no pain at all. I did have a 102 fever but other than that, my mouth felt great. On the 3rd day after the surgery, the pain set in. My teeth badly hurt & my gum on the top of my mouth extremely hurt as well. It's now been 6 days and I am beginning to feel better. I am still taking pain killers, but not as often. The pain comes and goes. I will be fine for a few hours & then it will hit. It's more of a soreness kind of pain now. Before it was a constant throbbing pain. This isn't something I would want to go through again, but I needed to have it done. I know it will pay off in the end. My dentist also told me some people get very sensitive to hot and cold. I didn't. It feels good when I have water in my mouth. I had some soup yesterday & that also felt great. All in all, I guess it just depends on how you react to the surgery. I'm getting excited over the fact that I am starting to feel better. I'm finally beginning to see the light which I thought would never happen.

Just hang in there & don't be afraid to call your dentist with any questions. I have called him every day since the surgery. He probably rolls his eyes when he gets my messages, but hey, this is something new to me.

Best of luck, make sure to take it easy for a good 4-5 days. If you have any questions, post them & I'll be sure to get back to you.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

My best friend had gum flap surgery. He never told her that it usually has to be repeated. She couldn't believe she had to return.
I don't remember any pain she spoke of but she did tell me there was a lot of bleeding driving home. So if I had it done I'd 1) take a box of kleenex and 2) ask the dentist if this usually has to be done more than once. GL

Old 02-15-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
Inactive

martid HB User

The reason it has to be repeated is that usually the patients (believe me I am one of these) anyway the problem is that the patients go back into their old routine of not staying on top of their gum health. After a couple of years, we kind of forget, unfortunately once you have had gum disease like I had, you Have to stay on top of it and clean and floss after each meal or snacks and do the every 3 months periodontal cleanings, making sure there is not pockets or the disease will come back. So this is why the treatment sometimes has to be repeated but it can be as much as 8 to 10 yrs in between, depending on your oral care. Been there, done that, now I really watch it and every 3 months I am at the periodontist making sure my gums stay as healthy as possible. Marti

Old 02-16-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
(male)

RedSoxFan13 HB User

I have a few questions if someone would be so kind as to answer them.

1. Is it painful?

2. How many days of pain after the surgery on average?

3. Can you talk as normal?

4. Is this surgery unnecessary and is just delaying the inevitable?

I just got a temp lower denture back in December and am finally pain free(no sore spots etc). I would hate to take a few steps backward in that dept if the whole thing isn`t necessary. In other words I don`t know if my dentist is just trying to make a buck or if I really need it. I`m not made of money here and want to do what is best for my health and my checking account. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by RedSoxFan13; 02-16-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Old 02-17-2005, 12:48 AM   #9
Veteran

lateeth HB User

I had flap surgery on two quads a couple of months back. My surgery was pretty major since all of my molars were involved and the other teeth as well. The dentist/perio shaved off some of my gums to try to reduce some of my major 14 mm pockets a bit further. After the surgery, I had very little pain. She put a plastic like bandage over the stitches for a week. It was a little annoying but i thought the "bandage" really protected my gums from outside pain and brushing against stuff. Tomorrow I go back in to have my pockets remeasured and see if it worked for me and then i need to schedule the other two quads.
I am wondering if you had some sort of infection since you had a 102 fever. That could have contributed to the amount and length of pain you had. The infection could have been related or not to the surgery but it may have made a difference in your recovery.
For someone who has not had this surgery yet, I found it not bad at all. The after effects are that you have huge gaps between your teeth. It is even more important to floss and brush so that food is not sitting there rotting away. An entire meal can fit between my teeth without my knowing it until i push it out with floss. My gaps, anyway, although big are not noticeable to another person. As for sensitivity...the first quad was cold sensitive for a few weeks and then that went away. The second quad she did is still sensitive to cold and to sweet as well after almost 2 months. I need to ask about that at my appt.
I hope i can come back and tell all of you it worked for me in a few days!!! But even if it does not work, I at least feel I tried all I could to save my teeth. Each person may have a different reaction but for what it is worth this is mine.

Closed Thread