It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
(female)

lehara HB User
gums inflamed around temp. crown

Hello,
I am wondering if anyone can help me with this question: I am currently undergoing a crown placement. About 10 days after the temporary crown was fitted, my gums became very inflamed and sore. I went back to the dentist and he took the temp off, cleaned the area (again) to verify that there was no cement residue etc and slightly modified the crown's edges and placed it again. He recommended salt water rinses and told me to give it at least 3-4 weeks to see if gums would heal. My impression of the temp crown fit seemed good- it was not too high and seemed to match my bite well. Yesterday, 4 weeks after the second temp placement I went back, and the gums have still not healed and are still red and inflamed around the edges of the crown. My dentist has not seen this happen before and does not seem to know what to make of it. Now I have another appointment to take temp off again and reshape it again. Has anyone ever experienced any such trouble with gums after crown placements? Just a little addl info: my other gums are extremely healthy, the tooth underneath the temp is fine as was verified by numerous xrays. thankyou,lehara

Old 02-18-2005, 07:17 AM   #2
(female)

lehara HB User
Re: gums inflamed around temp. crown

.....Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 08:31 AM   #3
(female)

soliloquy HB User

Good grief, how long do you have to wait for the permanent crown? The permanent crown fits the tooth exactly and will be much less irritating to the gum tissue. My dentist usually has the permanent crown back in two weeks!

Old 02-18-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

lehara HB User

well my dentist does not want to put the permanent crown onto the inflamed gum so thats why he is waiting for it to heal. I assumed this was the way it is supposed to be done. One the permanent crown is ON it will be hard to take off if the gum problems continue...anyway that's what my dentist says. I am beginning to wonder about that dentist---he is very experienced and came highly recommended. Yet he cannot tell me why my gums are still inflamed.

Old 02-18-2005, 09:45 PM   #5
Inactive

Alex8 HB User

I had the same problems with a permanent crown, lots of pain and bleeding when I flossed. For two weeks, the dental office told me to put up with it, it would die down. Finally I walked in the office and the dentist took one look at it and told me I would get a replacement without cost. Sometimes the crowns just aren't exactly perfect and if not, the problems are immediate and acute.

I give my dentist his due for being honest, though looking back, that should have been a really sign that I should have moved on after the replacement. He just wasn't a great dentist.

Last edited by Alex8; 02-18-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Old 02-19-2005, 08:25 AM   #6
(female)

soliloquy HB User

He could try placing the permanent crown with the same temporary cement he uses on the temp crown and see if that helps your gums heal. If your gums start feeling better, then he could use the permanent cement. Or maybe you're having a reaction to the temporary cement?

Old 02-19-2005, 09:34 AM   #7

washee HB User

Has your dentist put you on penicillin?

Old 02-19-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
(female)

lehara HB User

no, I have not been placed on penicillin. I do not have an infection, it is just a little inflamed. I think it all happened during the tooth preparation, I noticed my dentist was pushing my gums away from my tooth because he said that the edge of the crown needs to be under the gums (to prevent food being stuck between the edge of the crown and the gum). I am still not sure if the edge of the crown actually sits on my tooth or on my gums. Anyway the thing that worries me most is that my dentist does not know what to make of it.

Old 02-19-2005, 10:12 AM   #9

washee HB User

How do they know it's not infected, redness and swelling is a sign of infection. I have been having the same problem swelling of the gums around a previous root canal and crown. My dentist just put me on penicillin x 10 days ????? Been only 1 day of treatment and already the gums feel better and the swelling has gone down. Also I was actually able to chew on that side this morning for the first time in a week. Maybe a second opinion????Good luck to you

Last edited by washee; 02-19-2005 at 10:13 AM.

Old 03-15-2005, 12:29 AM   #10
(female)

kafriend HB User

could be allergy to eugenol in the cement...

Closed Thread