It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User
HElp, Smell on gums Under Root Canal/Capped Tooth any advice?

Hello, I need advice

First of all I had a root canal and a crown put it afterwards about 2 years ago, and for the past year or so, I have noticed tehre is a little space between the crown and the gums, I guess they did not glue it close enough to the gumline.

anyway everytime i floss the top of the tooth between the gum/crown, i smell a rotten odor, I brush and floss and use mouthwashes to get rid of the odor in that tooth, and nothing gets rid of it, I am thinking that maybe teh crown can be removed and the root canal can be cleaned? also i know for a fact that I have gingivitis, because my gums are red and swollen and bleed easily. can this tooth have gotten infected even if there is a crown there, I guess with that opening between the gum/crown maybe stuff goes in there, and it could cause an infection? let me know what you guys think can be done thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: HElp, Smell on gums Under Root Canal/Capped Tooth any advice?

I had a similar experience years ago, where I noticed an odor at the gumline (if I just rubbed my finger along it) of a root-canaled/crowned molar.

Sure enough tooth under the crown had cracked and there was infection. After they pulled off the (EXPENSIVE crown) and cleaned everything out, there was insufficicient tooth structure left for a new crown. So I had to go thru a procedure called crown lengthening, where a periodontist did some gum surgery to lengthen the stub of the tooth so that there was enough of a tooth to re-crown.

If you have gingivitis though, that may be the culprit.. and the odor you are getting is not necessarily coming from the crowned tooth at all. Is the crown loose by any chance?

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi and thx for your response

That is exactly whats going on with me, I rub my finger between teh gum/crown and I have a bad odor, I dont have this odor on any of my other teeth, I think I must have gingivitis, but that horrible odor only comes from there, its a putrid odor, anyway what procedure did you have done? I dont have insurance so I want to know what procedure it is so i could get prices, I am sure that must be whats going on, I must have an infection, and No the tooth is not loose at all, its just that opening in between the gum/crown causing this problem, maybe if the dentist woudl have out it tighter together, maybe this wouldn't have happened, also did a regular dentist do the work(cleaning) let me know and thx so very much for your help

Old 02-23-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
(female)

RachelmLo HB User

Please get this checked out. What you are describing in my opinion sounds like the area is infected. Some new treatment will be necessary. Did the crown always have the gap you are describing?

Old 02-23-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had two options: Save the tooth and re-crown... or extraction. I opted of course to save the tooth since I have insurance....

The tooth had cracked and there was additonal decay that had developed under the crown. But tooth was still "salvagable". I don't think the canals had to be re-"rooted" so to speak. (If they did I would have seen my endodontist and I have no memory of this!)

I don't know what exactly my REGULAR dentist did to re-prep this tooth (which was really a little stub) for another crown but by the time he finished grinding out the decay, the stub was VERY short. Too short to hold a crown.
SO I was referred to a periodontist who did a "crown lengthening". This is a surgical procedure whereby the periodontist removes gum and/or bone to expose more of the stub, in effect "lengthening" it so it can now hold a crown properly.

None of this was cheap even with dental insurance. Even the BEST dental insurance in this country (good ol' US of A) is terrible unless the procedure is very basic and very simple. And even then there are so many limits.
For instance, this particular "failed" tooth of mine had been root-canaled and crowned two years prior (like yours).
My insurance company stalled for MONTHS declining to pay for the re-do even though my dentist wrote them a letter, sent them x-rays and a supporting letter from the periodontist. We won finally..... but when I went to read my dental plan it clearly said that they wouldn't pay for a new crown unless 5 years had passed!

But don't forget, mine ended up being more than just a clean-out of decay and a new crown made (all by reg dentist)...I had the complication of losing too much tooth structure to support a new crown, so had to have crown lengthening by a diff kind of dentist, which was a much more expensive deal than I anticipated.
See your dentist who did the orig work and talk to him....you'll need an xray for starters.

There's no way to know what's going on without removing that crown, which they may or may not be able to use again. Unfortunately this is doubtful.

zuzu xx

Old 02-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi zuzu, I will definately get it checked out, I made an appt for march 1st, I will also join a dental discount plan, so teh fee is not as high, I am positive that the root canal is infected, since anytime put floss in that area and smell it, it smells horrible, also i feel liek a burning inside the tooth, everytime I eat sweets, its not pain but its a starneg burning sensation, inside teh tooth and on the gums, I hope its not as expensive, I

have seen 2 different dentists in 5 months, one charged me $290 for xrays and for a small filling, and the other one charged me $65 for a 5 minute consult and 1 x ray, the last one was a walk in clinic, a doctor that was overwhelmed with walk in patients and would not last more than 5 min with each, I guess he is making his money only on the consults, he figured he sees each patient for 5 min=$50, its crazy most of these dentists dont care about the patients only about the cash. Oh also i called a holisitc dentist and they charge even more, the girl says he charges from $400-$1300 to check the tooth and clean the root canal! I said never mind i could not afford those fees, so i will try to see a regular dentist to get help with my dental issues, i am crossing my fingers that the one i will see is a good one.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:49 PM   #7
(female)

dabner HB User

This sounds like you have microleakage under your crown and there is some recurrent deacy. This is what happens when the margins or edges of a crown are not properly sealed or through natural causes become open. The dentist will need to remove the crown and see what is under there. An x-ray won't detect decay under a crown. Do not put this off as at some point you are going to have a lot of pain if this remains untreated. If there is still enough tooth left to hold a crown, a new one will have to be made as the old one no longer fits properly. Your dentist probably should have caught this during you check-ups if the margin was as obvious as you say (if you could detect it, he should have been able to as well). I

Old 02-26-2005, 10:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi draber, I told my dentist at the check up and he was not even paying attention to me, he was paying attention to his assistant and asking her if the other patient wanted to get the zoom whitening which he charges over $1000 for, and she was going back and forth and talking in his ear about the ther patient,

its crazy I told him I had a smell and had to insist on this, and then he said that the best thing he said he could do was fill the gap, he filled it with some kind of dental material and then sealed it with a light, anyway that material came off after a few weeks, so it didnt last, anyway I am sure I have some sort of infection because I have another crown and I dont have that odor when I floss, I mean its a horrible odor, none of my other teeth have it so there must be something going on, I will go see a dentist on tuesday and hopefully get something done, now that I am thining about this I have had this odor for along time about 6 months after I got the crown, so it has been a few years, i thought it was nomral at first but now I know there is something wrong, Ohh by the way I also have soem sort of burining on the gums of that tooth, this might be a sign of infection also, it only happens when i eat sweet stuff, anyway i will let you guys know what happen after i get back form teh dentist on tuesday thanks

Old 03-01-2005, 04:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey guys I wanted to give you an update on my appt today, the dentist took digital x rays and they did not show anything abnormal, I told him that after eating I feel a burning sensation on the tooth and gums, and told him that I have that bad smell, anyway he did agree that I do have an opening between the crown/gums but he said maybe the tooth is fractured.

I asked if the crown could be removed so he could check everything better, they told me that they only cut off crowns that they dont remove them and put them back,.

aghh anyway he said that he can make a new crown for me, and get it tight so that there is no psace left between teh crown/gums, this is the only solution he foudn for me, Oh he also sent me to an endo to get it checked, so basically i went there for nothing, I mean what good is it to put a new crown, iwhat if the toioth has problems, then what? what good will it do to cover a problem tooth with a new crown,

I dont even know what to do next, but I am positive that it has problems, but they did not offer to help much, anyway I am losing hope and have had a bad day since zi thought I would finally find a solution for this.

Last edited by jennyVee; 03-01-2005 at 04:22 PM. Reason: add info

Old 03-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
(female)

swf HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyVee
Hello, I need advice

First of all I had a root canal and a crown put it afterwards about 2 years ago, and for the past year or so, I have noticed tehre is a little space between the crown and the gums, I guess they did not glue it close enough to the gumline.

anyway everytime i floss the top of the tooth between the gum/crown, i smell a rotten odor, I brush and floss and use mouthwashes to get rid of the odor in that tooth, and nothing gets rid of it, I am thinking that maybe teh crown can be removed and the root canal can be cleaned? also i know for a fact that I have gingivitis, because my gums are red and swollen and bleed easily. can this tooth have gotten infected even if there is a crown there, I guess with that opening between the gum/crown maybe stuff goes in there, and it could cause an infection? let me know what you guys think can be done thanks
OMG JennyVee! I can't believe I found a post that is almost identical to my problem. About 2 yrs ago, I had a root canal and crown on one of my lower left, back teeth. Well, same thing as you -- the dentist didn't put the crown close enough to the gumline or the other tooth next to it, because I've had to really floss that particular tooth alot because food would get stuck in between the teeth. I've had spells where the tooth would hurt for a while and then stop, so I thought it was just food and I would floss and it would quit hurting. This past Sunday night that tooth throbbed ALL night and I didn't get any sleep. I put an ice bag on my jaw (because it was hurting too); let a couple aspirin dissolve on it and gargled w/ warm salt water. None of that helped. Well, it eased up some yesterday and being the BIG chicken that I am (when it comes to dentists), I didn't call my dentist because it was a little better. Well, here I am at home this afternoon and it's hurting real bad and I've tried everything to make it quit throbbing. I even tried gargling w/ peroxide (I know - DUMB) and that about made me sick it hurt so bad. So, my left lower jaw is hurting, but not swollen and I looked in the magnifying mirror just now and the gum isn't red or swollen around that tooth. So, why is it hurting so bad? If it was an infection, wouldn't it be swollen and red and my jaw be swollen? Why does my jaw hurt? I'm getting scared and am going to break down and call the dentist tomorrow (as much as I dread it), but I sure would like to know what's going on here and what to expect (if anyone knows). I would rather know now what I'm in store for and I'll be okay and prepared to face it. It's the not knowing. Can anyone help me???? Thanks in advance!! (signed, CHICKEN in Georgia)

[We are asked to not use characters that might be thought of being cuss/slang words. We would suggest the use of smilies instead to express emphasis or emotions (such as added in as an example). Thanks - Well-come Moderator.]

Everyone is someone else's weirdo.

Last edited by Well-come; 03-01-2005 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Removed characters that might represent cuss/slang words.

Old 03-02-2005, 01:27 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SWF,

It sounds like you may have deep decay under that crown, hence the pain and throbbing. Or what's left of the tooth under the crown may have a crack or fracture..

Why suffer? Call the dentist and see him. He'll probably take an xray first to see if there's any infection at the tip of the roots. If the tooth is fractured, this may not show up in xray and he may have to remove the crown to see what's going on under there. If it's simple decay, he'll drill it out, and prep you for a new crown (expensive I know, but the old one won't fit anymore...not that it did in the first place!). If the tooth is fractured, he may refer you to an endodontist who still may be able to save it without extraction, depending on the nature of the fracture or crack. Either way, it sounds like a new crown is in the cards.

zuzu xx

Old 03-02-2005, 02:31 AM   #12
(female)

swf HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
SWF,

It sounds like you may have deep decay under that crown, hence the pain and throbbing. Or what's left of the tooth under the crown may have a crack or fracture..

Why suffer? Call the dentist and see him. He'll probably take an xray first to see if there's any infection at the tip of the roots. If the tooth is fractured, this may not show up in xray and he may have to remove the crown to see what's going on under there. If it's simple decay, he'll drill it out, and prep you for a new crown (expensive I know, but the old one won't fit anymore...not that it did in the first place!). If the tooth is fractured, he may refer you to an endodontist who still may be able to save it without extraction, depending on the nature of the fracture or crack. Either way, it sounds like a new crown is in the cards.

zuzu xx
Thanks for your reply Z. After suffering all night, I am calling the dentist this morning. Thank goodness I've saved up some money because right now, I believe I'd sell my soul to the devil to make this stop hurting! OWWWW. So much for my vacation money. Oh well, it is worth it. I'm such a chicken when it comes to the dentist. Seems like every time I go, I need something done that either hurts or costs a ton of money. At this point, I don't even care what he does to me - I just want it to quit throbbing. Tooth pain can be so bad.

Everyone is someone else's weirdo.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
(female)

Clarisa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyVee View Post
Hello, I need advice

Closed Thread