It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 09:13 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

tndollface HB User
Scared- having all upper teeth pulled. HELP

Hi everyone, I am new here and actually found this forum by accident,( Golfer guy I saw your post when searching the web about my problem)anyways I need some help here please.

Due too medical problems and medications I now need to have all my top teeth pulled. I am supposed to go in on Thursday to have this done but now my husband and a friend is scaring the daylights out of me. You see I am having this done by my dentists but they are saying that only an oral surgeon should do this. Is that true? My dentist says that he has done this procedure many times and I will be fine. He will be putting me to sleep with a pill and my temporary teeth are already made so when I leave there I will already have them in my mouth.

Iam slready scared to death to have this done without this added stress, I am begging anyone who has had this done to please reply and let me know anything you can....how long it took....how painful.....recovery time......how long before you could eat.....anything.!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance and will be anxiously waiting to hear from anyone who can help me out here. Kim

Old 03-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
(female)

noobie HB User
Re: Scared- having all upper teeth pulled. HELP

I don't know but I'm having all of my upper teeth removed on the 22nd. An oral surgeon is doing it. Let me know how it goes. There is a wonderful denture message board out there... A New Smile... it's wonderful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

I had all of my teeth pulled 2 weeks ago and it was done by a dentist. I was only there for about 45 minutes from the time I walked in the door until I was bback in my car. I also left with my new teeth. Honestly I think I have had an easy time with my experience. The hardest thing for me was my bottom teeth because the dentures rubbed blisters in my mouth, but since you are only getting uppers, you should not have to worry about that. I was able to eat soup that night, and everyday I seem to be able to eat more things. I can tell you that the pain of getting this done, is nothing compared to some of the toothaches that I have had. Good luck to you, let me know how things went!

Old 03-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

tndollface HB User

Chrisma, Thanks for replying.Were you knocked out for your procedure? It has been 2 weeks now for you. How long before you could eat? Talk? Are you still having pain? Did you get your new teeth right away? Sorry for all the questions I am just scared is all and don't know what to expect. My husband seems to think that I will be up and running by Monday (having work on Thursday) St. Patricks Day. I hope the dentist is not Irish. lol. I heard that it takes months to heal andyou have to learn how to eat differently and your speech is all messed up. Is any of this true? Thanks Kim

Old 03-11-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB UserSandybeech HB User

Hi, I had my extractions done under local anesthetic in the dentists office. I had 15 teeth pulled and full dentures installed. It was no walk in the park but all things considered, it was tolerable. If you do not have any complicated extractions- your regular dentist should be capable of handling your extractions.

Hopefully he took x-rays and you do not have any abcesses.

As far as up and running within a few days- it is possible but don't rush things. You need time to heal and to get used to wearing your new teeth. Eating does take time to master. If you still have your lower teeth you will master eating much quicker than those of us who had to learn lower dentures too!

If you know anyone who wears dentures, it would be a good thing to try to open a dialog with them about their experiences and see what tips and tricks they can offer.

There is so much more to wearer dentures than just having your teeth pulled and a denture installed.

The people who use this board are always willing to offer their experiences so if you have questions- please ask!

Sandy

Old 03-12-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

tndollface HB User

Thanks Sandy, I have most of my bottom ones still and they said that most of the bone loss is in my top jaw so I will only have to get a partial for my few missing bottom teeth, and a full upper denture for my top. I don't know anyone else to ask but here for advice on this subject. I read somewhere that using powder is better than using gel adhesive for a better fit. And that you should practice talking in front of a mirror because your speech is off.

I am only 40 and have always had a pretty good smile although my teeth have had alot of work done. I used to say all the time I was going to have them all pulled and get dentures, but that was before I was told I had too do it. I wish that I would have never found out I was sick and taken all the meds I had too, then I wouldn't be here right now, but too late for that. Sorry just venting. I am scared to go through with this on Thursday.

NOOBIE- I will let you know how it goes.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:12 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

I know this is scary stuff, I almost backed out of my appointment because I was so scared. I wasn't knocked out, but they did give me 2 pills that I had to take about 45 minutes before the appointment. I think they were some kind of nerve pills. They did help alot. I am not in a lot of pain now, but I am still pretty sore. The dentist put my teeth in as soon as he pulled the others. The uppers have been so much better than the lowers. I seem to be having more trouble with them. But my denturist and a few people I have talked to all told me to expect that. I don't really think you will be able to work Monday, it seemed like the 3rd and 4th day were the hardest for me. But you might be fine! I don't think the top teeth will give you too much problems with eating, if I had just my top teeth out I could probably be eating steak right now. When it comes to the talking the uppers seem to bother me more. I feel like I have something stuck to the roof of my mouth so it is harder to talk. I feel like no one can understand me, but everyone tells me that I sound fine. I also feel like I have cotton mouth all the time. But that is supposed to go away (soon I hope!).One thing I forgot to tell you about and it may not happen to you, but I just wanted to warn ya in case it does, when they gave me all of the shots to numb my mouth, my heart started to beat so fast it felt like my whole body was shaking. It was racing, really loud, and really fast, and it scared the daylights out of me. I thougt I was having a heart attack. It was the wierdest feeling I have ever had. I almost went into a panic attack because of it. The dental assistant kept reasurring me that it was normal, but it was still pretty scary. I wish someone had warned me about that. I don't know if that happens to everyone, but be prepared if it does it IS normal. Please don't worry about asking too many questions. If I can help you in any way, please let me know. This is a very scary thing to do and it helps to talk to people that have done this. My dad has uppers and lowers and my best friend has uppers, and let me tell you I have probably drove them crazy with all my questions. But it was great having someone to talk to. Oh and I don't know about the powder adhesive, because I just started to use it a few days ago and I bought the gel, but one day I will use it and it works great, but the next time it doesn't do a very good job. So I think I will try the powder. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I am usually on here daily. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2005, 05:49 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

tndollface HB User

Chrisma,
Thanks for reassuring me. I am a nervous wreck right now but want to get this done and over with. As you know in my previous thread I mentioned that I had no one else to ask these questions too so the replies I get here are all I have to go on. So here goes...... The teeth that they gave you, are they just tempories or are they your new permante ones? My dentist said that mine are going to be temporary for about 2-6 months then I will get new ones. He said they will look the same but the new ones will fit better. I also read that if you have dentures that fit right, there is no need for powder or gel adhesive , have you been told that? Where you able to take them in and out of your mouth right away to clean them? Did you have stitches in your gums? When were you able to start eating again? I don't mind losing a few pounds but with all the meds I take I will have to eat something. I stocked up on some soft foods and instant breakfast drinks for vitamins but wonder if that will be enough. I will probably get sick of mashed potatoes before this is over. lol. Is there anything that you can think of that I should go out and get. Did you have to use ice packs for a few days? How about sleeping, did you have to sleep on your back? Are you happy with your new teeth? And would you do it again if given the choice? Sorry about all the questions and in so many different directions I threw them at you but my mind is in overload right now trying to prepare. Thanks. Kim

Old 03-13-2005, 08:39 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

I am laughing when I am reading your questions because you sound just like me . I was the same way, I knew I had to get it done. I knew I was making the right decision, but it is still a big step, and it is a very scary one too! I have my permanent teeth, but I have temporary liners. I had one liner for a week, then he gave me my first soft liner. I will wear this one for about 4 weeks then I will get another one. I will get my permanents in 6 months. The denturist told me that he will not do the permanents until the swelling of the gums goes completely away, and it takes about 6 months for that. He said you get a proper fit that way.He also told me that I will have to use glue until I get the permanents, but after that I should never have to. They told me not to take them out for the first 24 hours and to rinse with warm salt water. After that my instructions said to gently remove them 2 times a day and clean with a toothbrush and rinse with the salt water. I was also told to sleep with them for the first week straight and then to take them out at night. I still am sleeping with them though. I did not have any stitches and the bleeding wasn't bad at all after about 3 hours.. I didn't use ice packs, but I would make sure to have on hand, some people swear by them, but I didn't need them.I sometimes have to sleep more sideways with my head on a soft pillow, because the pressure of sleeping on my stomach kind of makes my mouth ache sometimes. As for food it is just a trial and error. I ate liquids for the first 2 days. But the funny thing is, I wasn't even hungry. The food was a big fear for me but for about the first 3 days I didn't really want to eat. Since you have to take meds you and if you can't eat solids you might try those carnation instant breakfast's or something like that. I still have problems with some foods. It is wierd though, I can eat a burger if I use a fork, but I can't chew the onions. The meat lettuce and tomatoes are no problem, but I cannot chew an onion. I do have to use a fork for most things. I can't just bite into things the way I used to, even using the glue. I was told that would get better. If you think of any thing else ask away,and if I can think of anything I will let you know. I think the more you know ahead of time the easier it will be. Crisite

Old 03-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

tndollface HB User

Thanks Cristie,you have helped me more than you will ever know.
I just got back from grocery shopping for the 4th time this week. I kept forgetting that I still have a husband at home that wants real food. lol. I have spent all week trying to get over a head cold and trying to catch up on all the little things taht have to be done before hand, you know like cleaning, laundry, gardening, all the stuff that I am going to make him do for the next week or two. I think that he is dreading this as much as me but for different reasons. lol.

You just had this done 2 weeks ago and are already eating burgers? wow ! hats off to you, I will probably still be milking it out for all its worth.lol ( I hope)

I think I am pretty much prepared except mentally now. I still have to go out and buy denture cleaner and adhesive but the receptionist said to come in the day before and get my "little knock out pill" and she would give me a sample of everything and a list of what to get.

Are you happy with your new smile? with the way they fit? am so gald that you had such an easy time with it. I hope that I can report back that I did too. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Thanks everyone for all your support I feel a LITTLE bit more at ease. Kim

Old 03-13-2005, 08:10 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

Hi Kim! I am glad I can help! This is a big step to take and it is nice to have someone to talk to about it. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks for me, but I was able to eat meat after the first week. Chicken has been the easiest. For some reason it is easier to chew than ground hamburger, and I thought that would be the easiest. So right now I am so sick of chicken, but it is nice to be able to eat it so I guess I can't complain . I was going to warn you about the pain meds too. The dentist told me to take one as soon I got home, but my mouth was so numb that I could not get it down. I wasn't in any pain because I was still numb, but I kind of had a breakdown because it was so frustrating. But I was able to after the numbness went away. Also when you first start to eat solids the uppers seem to make food seem real sticky at first. No matter what I ate for the first week or so, I had trouble with it sticking. But that is getting much better.

I really do love my new smile. My teeth had gotten so bad, I felt embarrased to even smile, but they look so natural. Every time I walk by a mirror I still have to smile, lol! The fit was real good the first week, but when he put in the soft liner it made the teeth feel huge, but it is getting better too.

I do think I have had an easy time with them. I know you hear of horror stories, but I do know quite a few people with dentures and everyone is satisfied with theirs. I think the hardest thing mentally is you know you need to do it, but once you go there, there is no turning back. It will be permanent. I think that was the scariest thing for me. But now that I have done it I would not change a thing! Except maybe getting it done sooner!

I am sending good thoughts your way hoping that everything goes smoothly. Let me know if you have any more questions. Cristie

Old 03-14-2005, 06:01 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

tndollface HB User

Cristie,I think that you are right the scariest part for me is know that this is permanate and there is no turning back. The worst part is that my smile is not bad now,but due to bone loss from medication is why I have to have this done. It gets me so mad that this is happening. I think I have gone through more than my share of problems, especially the past 4 years. I am also nervous about the pain. I have been on vicodin 7.5/750 for over a year and a half at 6-8 a week. So I am pretty immune to pain meds right now. I doubt they will be able to give me anything strong enough so I will just have to work through this.

I am trying to eat as much crunchy stuff and junk as I can this week. lol. Maybe ribs for dinner and corn on the cob. Or steak. Oh wait I know a BURGER with onions.lol Thanks Cristie for being that shoulder I needed. Kim

Old 03-15-2005, 05:28 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

tndollface HB User

Cristie, I forgot to ask about swelling of your face. Did you have any and fro how long? Someone said that they had bruising also around the face and eyes? Is that normal? Sorry, just getting a little nervous now. Thanks, Kim

Old 03-15-2005, 06:23 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

Hello! My upper jaw didn't really swell at all, but my lower jaw did. Not alot though. I didn't bruise, but my dad said that he was suprised that I didn't. I guess that is normal. My jaw did kinda have that sore, bruised feel, but I never got any bruising. I also have a tolerance to pain meds. I have been on a lot myself because of kidney stones and liver problems, but they gave me Lorcet 10/650 and they did help.Make sure and tell the dentist that before he writes your script! Stock up on those onions! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 03-16-2005, 07:13 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

tndollface HB User

Cristie, Thanks again for everything, It's down to the wire now. I am still nervous but not half as bad before I met you. I am just hoping for the best now. You mentioned liver problems. That is where all this started for me. When I found out that I tested positive for hepatitis C. I recently finished my second round of treatment for that. I won't know the results if it worked or not till April. Could have taken the test last week but told my doctor I didn't want to know yet till this is taken care of. One hardship at a time is enough for me. Anyways all the meds for everything is what caused all the bone loss in my jaw. More than you needed to know huh? I do not hide the fact I have hepatitis C. Just never thought it could cause so much damage elsewhere. Wish me luck. I will be thinking of you tomorrow and hopefully finding courage in thinking about your posts. Kim

Closed Thread