It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
(male)

Stephjeff HB User
Wisdom teeth extraction late 30's?

Hello everyone. 10 days ago I was told I needed to get my right side wizzys out. The bottom one is impacted. Four years ago I had my left side out, and I had no right ones at the time. I'm 37 now and hear the later you wait the worse it is. It took two years for a nerve to heal from the impacted wisdom when I was 33.

Well I don't really have any pain this time around or didn't even feel them. As soon as I found out I have an impacted tooth, I scheduled removal for last Thursday. Well that got cancelled due to sick nurses, and resheduled for this Tues. In the past week, I've noticed my gums feeling funny and my teeth not aligning like they did all my life.

My lower fronts on the right side (where the impacted tooth is) are colliding with the upper fronts and not allowing me to bite or close my teeth. This seemed to happen almost over night and is very annoying. I'm even mispronouncing some words here and there. Chewing has become a challenge to figure out which way to close my mouth on the food. Sleeping is a problem, because my bottom tooth is pushing on my front top. It might end up pushing that out of alignment!!

After the appointment was cancelled, I called everywhere hoping to get in ASAP- insurance or not. But no one could take me any sooner. So I have to wait 'till Tues.

I'm worried about a couple things. Is there any chance my teeth will go back to how they used to be? Am I going to need braces? What options are there to make those couple teeth on the bottom less protruding?

The 2nd worry is the nerve took years to heal in the previous impacted wisdom removal, but I also had a lot of pain prior to the surgery. This time around, I feel no pain with the impacted tooth. But I am older.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 07:37 AM   #2
(male)

dragula07 HB User
Re: Wisdom teeth extraction late 30's?

I just had four teeth pulled last Thursday which included my last two remaining wisdom teeth. I am also 37 years old. I had the extractions done while under IV Sedation and I can tell you that this has been absolutely the BEST experience I've had from any dental procedure. I have had absolutely NO pain of any kind. The biggest hassle has been that my gums bled for about 48 hours but it didn't hurt any. My face is still slightly swollen and even though I feel as though I could eat a tough steak without any problem, I know that I can't because I don't want the holes remaining where my teeth were to get any food trapped in them so I guess I'm stuck on Jello, mashed potatoes, and pudding for a few more days. I think I've dropped 5 pounds since Thursday.

The doctor showed me on my x-ray the nerves that you're talking about and it was easy to tell that my teeth were just slightly above that nerve so I had no issues with that. He told me that since I was having my wisdom teeth removed while they were still "intact" (not decayed yet) it would be easier for him to remove them which makes it less likely to damage the nerve so don't wait until the tooth gets so bad that he has to "dig" them out as others here have had done before.

Old 03-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #3
(male)

Stephjeff HB User

dragula07 glad to hear that great experience. I had them pulled today. Both top and bottom were impacted according to the doc. Well, reading your great response is exactly what I experienced! Under the IV sedation it was great.

I have some pain of course after, but the vicaden and rest is helping. The good news is I don't have the nerve problem like before! I'm very relieved. My bite is much better too! My teeth feel like they used to and close better.

I'm making mashed potatoes now! Looking forward to a big burger soon!

thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

Old 03-17-2005, 10:55 PM   #4
Veteran

lateeth HB User

I think pain and healing etc. have more to do with your individual genetic/environmental...how and what your family may have brought you up to believe you should react to things.. makeup and your general state of health than with your age. I am in my late 50's and have never had big problems with medical procedures. I know people in their 20's who have a much worse time after the same procedure than i have had. You yourself may heal more slowly 10 years later than you did 10 years ago, but you still may be much better than someone else who is 25 or worse than someone who is 55! I had 6 teeth removed at age 57 with no problems whatsoever.

Closed Thread