It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
(male)

oceantracks HB User
Bone Loss from Dentures...Questions..

Hi, first post up here...great forum!

I read the thread on having all the uppers pulled...that's what I get to do on Tuesday. Actually they are pulling about six teeth, fitting the denture in, and then allowing me to come back later to have the final upper teeth pulled (they are filing those down so the denture will fit.) They are doing this because I have told them that one way or the other, I will try to find the money to do implants. The dentures will be a temporary fix, though it will probably take two years for me to afford the necessary implants.

I have read about bone loss and the resultant facial distortion that comes from having your teeth removed, and I am getting different opinions. I'm 53, and my dentist said "Oh, you're still young, you won't see anything for about ten years." But the oral surgeon who does the implants and is removing my teeth said "bone loss begins as soon as the teeth come out." He didn't elablorate on how long I had before the loss was noticeable, or would make implants impossible.

Just wondered what you guys have heard about all this....

Thanks
Tom

Closed Thread