It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

lehara HB User
use of "packing cord" for crowns?

Hi,
I would like to know if it is really necessary to use a packing cord when making the impressions for a crown. I am currently getting one done, and my dentist used packing cord to make a temporary crown, so that the edge of the crown sits under the gumline. My gums had a terrible reaction to that temporary, getting very inflamed. I got a second opinion from a periodontist who explained to me that the edge of the crown was too close to the bone and that my gums would never heal. Went back to my dentist and he has never heard of this. He made a new temporary crown without cord impressions which now sits on the edges of my tooth (not under the gums). this temporary fits much better and now when I bite down I am not irritating the gums. Now I am due to go back for impressions again, and this time he wants to use the packing cord as well to make the impression for the permanent crown. My question is: why can he not make a crown that simply sits on the edge of the tooth? is packing cord always necessary when making a crown? I am worried that my gums will get inflamed again. it took them 3 months to heal.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
(female)

lehara HB User
Re: use of "packing cord" for crowns?

does anyone know about this subject?
Thanks!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
(female)

Kikki HB User

I would think that you would not be happy with the crown if it wasn't under the gum. Additionally it will be impossible to keep the tooth clean if the crown doesn't go under the gum and then the gum heals over it. Then you may end up losing the tooth. Make sure your gums are in good health and that you are not brushing too hard, which can cause them not to heal well. Also, there are prescription mouthwashes that might help.

Old 03-18-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
(female)

serbocro HB User

just had old bridge removed today and a new one prepped-Dr said problem with old one is that there were no margins-he used cord to make sure bridge will fit properly and avoid recession

Old 03-18-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
(female)

lehara HB User

I understand that sometimes packing cord is necessary. In my case that cord and the temporary crown that resulted in the impression of that cord left my gums so inflamed my dentist said he had never seen anything like it. They were so low they completely covered the temp. crown! Now that he has fitted me with a temporary that sits on my tooth my gums are much better. I I have 2 other crowns and packing cord was never used on those. Those crowns are still fine today I do not see a space between tooth and gum. I have asked a few people, and noone remembers the packing cord when they had their crowns done. I am just wondering if packing cord is always necessary when getting crowns done. If the edge of the permanent crown sits right on the edge of the tooth, how would you even see the line where the crown ends and the tooth begins?? Should the edge of the crown not be aligned with the border of the tooth?

Old 03-18-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
(male)

msf41 HB User

I'm starting dental school this fall and have spent lots of time in dental offices observing crown pres. EVERY crown prep I have ever seen has used packing cord. Although this proceedure usually seems to cause some discomfort, the gums shouldn't have any sensitivity beyond a few days from what I understand.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

All of my crowns were fitted, with packing cord, except for one, where the dentist cauterized the area. That actually caused more residual pain, than the packing ever did. I never had any lasting discomfort from packing cord. I'd question how well the impressions, for your crowns, are being made. Just a millimeter off, can reck how a crown fits. It's possible your tooth needs a root canal. I've had lasting pain, after a permanent crown has been put on. I end up getting the root canal, and then, after I heal from that, the tooth is alot better. I'd prefer to have no margins with my crowns, because over time, your gums will inevitably recede around the crown, creating more than enough space between the gum edge and the crown. See another dentist, if you can't talk easily to this one. I'm a big believer in second and even third opinions.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
(female)

RachelmLo HB User

All of the dentists I know use "packing cord", techniquely called retraction cord, when doing crown procedures. It ensures that the margin between the tooth and the crown will be closed so that the tooth should not get recurrent decay. A lot of the time if a crown has a problem you or your dentist probably not know it untill you received symptoms from the tooth, the crown falls off, or the tooth breaks.

Closed Thread