It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
(female)

sashaannm HB User
Some tooth left after extraction?!?

Hi everyone!

I had a lower molar pulled yesterday afternoon. It was a pretty difficult extraction, took almost 45 mins total. The dentist took a cpl of breaks between trying to rock the tooth out. Finally, he ended up sawing the tooth in half & pulling it out in 2 pieces because the root was wrapping around the root of the tooth next to it. I looked in my mouth for the 1st time a little while ago & I can see what looks like part of a tooth at the extraction site! It looks like its right under the gum line.My face is all swollen & my jaw is hurting pretty bad. My ear is also begining to hurt. Im taking lorecet & antibiotics, but I cant take the pain killers at work, so I had to leave early today. I took 2 tylenol before work this morning, but got no relief. Does anyone know what this white Im seeing is?? Could it be the bone Im seeing? Could it be dry socket? Also, I have been using quite a bit of gauze over the extraction site. Could using it too much interfere with the formation of the blood clot? Thanks for your advise/answers!!
Sasha

Old 03-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #2
(female)

Yekcoh4 HB User
Re: Some tooth left after extraction?!?

I had 2 molars extracted on Tuesday...they were easy, about 15 minutes TOTAL. But I was told that I might see tiny bony things sticking out of the extraction sites that I may think are part of the tooth. He said they are bony pieces that surround the root and that they usually fall off or break awy themselves and are nothing at all to be alarmed about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 06:35 PM   #3
(female)

sashaannm HB User

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, my mouth is still hurting so bad for some reason. I had my right upper wisdom extracted by this same dentist about a year ago, and it was such a different expierence. The tooth was out in like 1 minute and I felt pretty much healed in a couple days.This one is still throbbing and it fells like he may have cut my gum a little, plus it feels like there is a bump under my tounge and it feels like the tip of my tongue is burnt. I am tired of taking pain killers everday after I get home from work! And to top it all off, my top left wisdom tooth is starting to hurt really bad, and that one and the bottom 2 have to be removed by an oral surgeon. The oral surgeon my dentist referred me to wants $125 for a consult! Is this normal? How much does it usually cost for an oral surgeon? I should probably post that question as a new thread....
Thanks for letting me vent!!
Sasha

Old 03-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
(female)

Yekcoh4 HB User

I dont know exactly how much they cost. But I paid $300 for the extractions in office, he said with the surgeon, each tooth would be about $300, plus the anesthesia, which could run me in the $1000 range. I would imagine more complex extractions would cost more, mine were very easy. This is on Long Island in NY. No thanks!

Closed Thread