It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 02:27 PM   #1

visu HB User
Question Tooth loose but not loose

2 of my teeth feel like they move when I push my tongue against them, BUT they're not loose, i.e, I see no visible movement when I push them in either direction with my fingers.

My dentist tugged them (!), used a probe and took an x-ray of one tooth which most often exhibits this problem and said everything looked normal and my gums look rosy.

A 2nd problem happens most often after meals on some of my teeth (different tooth every time). The part of my palette that attaches to the back of my teeth makes a slight (almost inaudible) popping sound when I press it with my tongue. It feels as if an air-bubble is stuck there and my pressing it causes it to move elsewhere!

For both problems, I dont intentionally press the back of my tooth but thats the action you do when you swallow something.

Once these 2 problems start, they last for 2 hours or so and disappear on their own. Symptoms have not worsened in 2 months but have not disappeared.

Has anyone experienced this or something similar?

I floss every night and brush twice daily. I have my dental exam twice a year.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #2

visu HB User
Question Re: Tooth loose but not loose

Its encouraging to hear about these cases and resources and to know that I'm not alone. Would you be able to post relevant links to these resources, if possible? Thanks. This may require the permission of the moderators, though.

Did your dentist discuss the possibility of a microcrack on the tooth that gives the clicking sound? The type that does not show up now on an xray but may eventually show up...

Also, I did grind my teeth 2 years back and spent quite a bit on a guard which pained a LOT when used. Hence I stopped using it. I knew I was grinding my teeth then because my dentist noticed the worn out enamel back then and also I had a funny/tight feeling. Shortly after that, a dental abcess was treated and funnily, the gringing stopped. I figured I had stopped doing it because my dentist mentioned that the enamel did not wear out any further and my teeth dont feel tight any more. I figured may be treating the abcess took care of it.

But I know I should not make such assumptions and I too suspect bruxism. Hence I've an appt next week to get another guard made. Hopefully, this one will really 'guard' my teeth.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
(male)

BoingoBongo HB User
Re: Tooth loose but not loose

I have the loose thing too!

It's horrible. I've always had great teeth, and I keep up on my brushing/flossing but my teeth feel loose. I can feel my front teeth (top and bottom, but mostly top) move when I press my tongue against them, or when I drink something and whatnot, but there's no visible movement. It's been going on for a few months, and like you it's not getting better or worse.

I just want it to go away because it's so annoying, and I'm scared of loosing my teeth. I have a dentist appointment on the 11th of April.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #4
(female)

jansmokeyty HB User

i am so afraid of losing my teeth too. i have the "loose" thing with my front tooth. if i put my finger in front of my tooth and bite down i can feel it move. but like you said its not loose. i dont know if i grind my teeth but sometimes i wake myself up from snapping my jaw. i also have some chips in my teeth probably from doing this.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #5

Blue70 HB User

Visu, have you thought about seeing another dentist.
Get another opinion.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:09 PM   #6

visu HB User
Smile Re: Tooth loose but not loose

Blue70, thats something I've been thinking about. Will have to get a 2nd opinion.

But there's good news and an update; Well, somewhat...

The 1st problem of my tooth feeling loose, I've not yet found an answer to that. But I've just got an impression made for a guard in case its due to bruxism. Should get the guard in 2 weeks. Lets see how that goes...

The 2nd problem where the palate feels cartilaginous/pliant. Today, my dentist observed that the palate in that region was slightly swollen. She said fibrotic tissue had formed as a reaction to the apico I had 7 months ago and that this was indicative of healing! Note that the teeth where I had the apico is not the same as the teeth where I have this feeling but they're adjacent to each other. Hence I was confused whether this was due to apico or something new.

Old 04-27-2005, 06:21 PM   #7

visu HB User

Approached 2 endos about the clicking problem. Both of them probed the tooth and examined my x-rays. Neither had a clue. Started wearing my nightguard last week. Lets see if that helps.

Old 04-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #8

Gunna HB User

I have this exact problem too! It started for me a couple of months ago when I suspected the gums under my lower incisors (all 4) and my canines (upper and lower) were starting to recede. They haven't receded a lot, and everyone I show says they don't look receded, but I know they have receded slightly.

Shortly thereafter my teeth began to feel loose after I ate. They weren't visibly loose, but I could feel them make a little "click" when I pushed on them with my tongue. As of this month, my teeth feel loose sometimes even when I haven't just eaten, but there's still no visible movement. And sometimes my teeth don't feel loose at all even after eating.

I also have the popping sounds when i run my tongue/fingers over my gums/palate--this started happening only a couple weeks ago (or perhaps i simply didn't notice it until then). incidentally, i've also noticed that i have a lot more sinus pressure lately.

I suspect bruxism is at least partially to blame. I brux quite hard, and have only recently gone back to sleeping with a guard. What I find strange, however, is how quickly this problem developed--it seems like it was almost overnight.

I have always had extremely healthy teeth/gums--gums aren't swollen, bleeding etc. On the one hand this comforts me b/c it could mean that wearing my night guard will take care of the problem. On the other hand, this concerns me b/c my symptoms seem to match what is known as "aggressive periodontitis." Typically people with this form of gum disease have an otherwise healthy mouth, but for reasons not entirely known, the gums and bone suddenly and rapidly start to recede.

I'm making a dr. appt. on Monday--if anyone else with this problem gets any new developments, i'd be interested in hearing them.

Old 05-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #9

visu HB User

I've been wearing my nightguard for 2 weeks now. One that fits well and feels very comfortable. The clicking sound seems to have gone away. Knock on wood. I've not experienced it in a few days now. Hope its solved for good.

The popping sound - they were occuring on 3 teeth which were under observation for healing following an apico. Looks like the infection came back. And I am getting implants there. Hopefully, the feeling of 'loose palette' was because of that.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
(male)

avedic22 HB User

glad to see i'm not the only one. i posted on this thread a while back, btw...

Gunna, your description is note for note exactly what i'm experiencing...be sure to let us know how the visit went.

I've been trying to find info on this condition all over the internet. the problem is that when you type in "teeth" and "clicking" just about every result has to do with TMJ disorder...which this is not. It's not the jaw clicking, its the TEETH.

However...i have found now about 5 different individuals online on various sites who report having this very problem. Oddly enough, every single one of them went to the dentist and got a clean bill of health. It's as if noone has ever heard of this problem.

As I said, my symptoms are the EXACT same as Gunna. Everything you described happens to me as well.

Since first posting about this months ago I have since been to the dentist 3 times. Once for a consultation about any problems I might have. Xrays were taken and a general exam was performed. Second time was to have a decayed wisdom tooth removed(first cavity i've ever gotten). The third time was just this past week for a 6 month cleaning.

The 1st exam went fine. No problems on the surface. The xray came back fine. No bone loss. No cavities(minus the wisdom tooth). I brought up the clicking/popping/loose thing and my dentist simply found it quite odd. He had never heard of it.

The 2nd visit also went smoothly. The wisdom tooth came out easily and i had no pain whatsoever.

The 3rd visit was a step up in the pain department. Due to not getting regular cleanings for some time I had sub-gingival calculus deposits that required a hypersonic scaler to get out. It hurt, but boy was it worth it. My gums have become a healthy pink in just a few days and really tightened up. My hygenist said I had somewhat bad gingivitis. She used a probe and examined my xray to check for bone loss but said I had none. There were a few spots on my molars where pocket depth was at 4mm. 3mm is the deepest "healthy" pockets ought to be at. She said this was most likely a pseudo pocket that would go away once healing from the scaling took place and my gums were no longer inflamed. Again...I brought up the clicking/popping and again they had no idea what could be causing it.

It's been a week now since my scaling and my gums are in amazing condition. pink, healthy, firm. it feels great....however....the clicking/popping/loosness is still present. sometimes its quite noticable. other times i can't even get it to do anything.

i still have no idea what it is. i've imagined every scenario you can think of, including trapped air bubbles, calculus grinding against each other, dislodged blood vessels....you name it.

its not anything that really impedes my life. there's absolutely no pain....but it IS a bit disconcerting. i just want it to be gone. i don't want to constantly be worrying what the heck is going on with my crazy mouth.

it's nice to know there are others out there just as baffled by this...but it sure would be nice if there was even one single professional source on what this even is....

Old 05-18-2005, 11:48 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise98 HB User

Hi, I know the feeling your talking about I would constantly be checking in the mirror to see if my two front teeth were loose because they felt loose all the time I would even run to have my mom try the wiggle test and Im (24) I have a major fear of loosing my teeth and I think sometimes its a psychological thing..

Old 05-19-2005, 09:01 AM   #12
(female)

kusum HB User

May I kno what is ultrasonic cleaning? Is it different from manual cleaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avedic22
glad to see i'm not the only one. i posted on this thread a while back, btw...

Gunna, your description is note for note exactly what i'm experiencing...be sure to let us know how the visit went.

I've been trying to find info on this condition all over the internet. the problem is that when you type in "teeth" and "clicking" just about every result has to do with TMJ disorder...which this is not. It's not the jaw clicking, its the TEETH.

However...i have found now about 5 different individuals online on various sites who report having this very problem. Oddly enough, every single one of them went to the dentist and got a clean bill of health. It's as if noone has ever heard of this problem.

As I said, my symptoms are the EXACT same as Gunna. Everything you described happens to me as well.

Since first posting about this months ago I have since been to the dentist 3 times. Once for a consultation about any problems I might have. Xrays were taken and a general exam was performed. Second time was to have a decayed wisdom tooth removed(first cavity i've ever gotten). The third time was just this past week for a 6 month cleaning.

The 1st exam went fine. No problems on the surface. The xray came back fine. No bone loss. No cavities(minus the wisdom tooth). I brought up the clicking/popping/loose thing and my dentist simply found it quite odd. He had never heard of it.

The 2nd visit also went smoothly. The wisdom tooth came out easily and i had no pain whatsoever.

The 3rd visit was a step up in the pain department. Due to not getting regular cleanings for some time I had sub-gingival calculus deposits that required a hypersonic scaler to get out. It hurt, but boy was it worth it. My gums have become a healthy pink in just a few days and really tightened up. My hygenist said I had somewhat bad gingivitis. She used a probe and examined my xray to check for bone loss but said I had none. There were a few spots on my molars where pocket depth was at 4mm. 3mm is the deepest "healthy" pockets ought to be at. She said this was most likely a pseudo pocket that would go away once healing from the scaling took place and my gums were no longer inflamed. Again...I brought up the clicking/popping and again they had no idea what could be causing it.

It's been a week now since my scaling and my gums are in amazing condition. pink, healthy, firm. it feels great....however....the clicking/popping/loosness is still present. sometimes its quite noticable. other times i can't even get it to do anything.

i still have no idea what it is. i've imagined every scenario you can think of, including trapped air bubbles, calculus grinding against each other, dislodged blood vessels....you name it.

its not anything that really impedes my life. there's absolutely no pain....but it IS a bit disconcerting. i just want it to be gone. i don't want to constantly be worrying what the heck is going on with my crazy mouth.

it's nice to know there are others out there just as baffled by this...but it sure would be nice if there was even one single professional source on what this even is....

Old 05-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
(male)

avedic22 HB User

ultrasonic cleaning, as far as i can tell, is basically where they take a very small "needle" to calculus on the teeth. the needle vibrates at a very fast rate....considering the name is "hypersonic" i assume it vibrates faster than 20kHz....though that seems physically crazy...

There was a little blue uv-ish light on the end....not sure what that was for.

it hurt a fair amount. they stick the thing down into the gum pockets. i had that done for about 30 minutes(fun....) then she took out the dreaded metal hook and started grinding away any excess. the whole process lasted 45 minutes or so and hurt alot....but, it works! in just 2 days my gums got very pink(not red) and tightened up considerably.

despite the pain, it was well worth it.

still doesnt reslove my clicking/popping/looseness dilema...

-------

denise....youre right, it is a psychological thing. i have a ridiculous fear of loosing teeth and i tend to overemphasize any problems i might have. the symptoms in this case ARE real, but after going to the dentist 3 times, having all manner of tests probes and xrays and still being told i'm ok,....i do feel better. the symptoms might still be present but i have better peace of mind now that i used to.....
hell, for all i know this is just a physiological quirk like being double-jointed. who really know.... lol

Old 06-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #14
(male)

avedic22 HB User

well...yesterday i had my 4th dental appt in 4 months. first 3 were a consultation, wisdom tooth extraction, and scaling. this one was to get my first cavity filled.

i've been reeeeally vigilant on keeping my gums/teeth healthy, and all looks great. there's no concern from my dentist or anything. but.............................the clicking/popping/loosness/etc. is still very present. in fact, right now my top-right 2nd premolar makes a really audible clicking sound when i "wiggle it". I put "wiggle it" in quotation marks because i'm using my fingers to push back and forth to get the sound....however there is no discernable movement.

this is too wierd. :P

Old 07-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #15
(female)

cdaus HB User

I, too, have a "loose" bottom front tooth. At times it feel looser and at times it feels firmer. It's not hurting. I am afraid eventually it's going to go. I cringe at the alternatives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jansmokeyty
i am so afraid of losing my teeth too. i have the "loose" thing with my front tooth. if i put my finger in front of my tooth and bite down i can feel it move. but like you said its not loose. i dont know if i grind my teeth but sometimes i wake myself up from snapping my jaw. i also have some chips in my teeth probably from doing this.

Closed Thread