It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

lolaland HB User
Implants vs dentures vs implant dentures

I am in the process of deciding between full upper dentures, removable implant- supported dentures and non-removable permanent bridge. Does anyone have experience with the snap-on dentures, or have a complete arch of implants with a permanent bridge ? Can you give me some input on your experience and satisfaction, and any recommendations.
Thanks

Old 03-26-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
Re: Implants vs dentures vs implant dentures

I'm in a similar situation. I have 6 implants in my upper gums, which will probably be fitted with a removable overdenture, so, I can keep the area as clean as possible and to also give me lip support. I'll still have an open palette. Presently, I'm struggling to find a prosthodontist I feel comfortable with and who is easy to talk to. The dental work is so expensive. My overdenture, depending upon the type, will cost $14,000+ dollars. One that I have been looking at is called a spark erosion prosthetic. I've also considered the clip on overdenture. I'm still overwhelmed and confused about the whole thing. Let me know how you're doing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2005, 06:14 PM   #3
(female)

Dancin_Queen HB User

I'm only 21 and am looking into the first of several implants I will need. I was told by my dentist (and my Xrays) that I am missing several permanent teeth--most of my back teeth are evidently "baby" teeth. From what I understand, the procedure is a multi-step process and quite painful. I'm just wondering what options you know of, or what to expect if I go ahead with permanent individual implants. I'm a little freaked!

Old 03-26-2005, 09:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

The pain is tolerable, but it is very expensive and the process takes a year or more to complete. An implant generally costs about $1000. It takes 6 months to a year to fuse to your bone. Pulling the teeth was harder than having the implant screwed into my bone. I have 6 implants, waiting to be uncovered, in my upper mouth. Once the implants are there, you don't feel them. Then, you have to decide if you're going to crown the implant, treating it like an individual tooth, or, sometimes, dentists will create an overdenture or bridge, for multiple implants, depending on how defined or thick the gum ridge. It is a lengthy process. I've decided to do it, because I'm young too and am not ready for dentures. With implants, even if you have an fixed or removable overdenture, which is fitted over the implants, you'll still have an open palate. I'd get more than one consultation, and, generally, a prosthodontist will do the best work. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:10 AM   #5
(female)

lolaland HB User

wmkcolores:
It certainly is confusing ( and $$$) . I have a few more questions that I hope you will answer. What is a spark erosion prosthetic and how does it differ from other kinds? Are you currently wearing a temporary denture over your implants? Is this hard to adjust to? Did the guy who did you implants do the temp for you also? Were you not satisfied with him, as you mentioned looking for a new prosthodontist? How long can you wait to proceed with the process?
. Have you heard from others who have full arch implants, and are they happy they went that way?
I'm trying to get some insight and would appreciate your input
Thanks

Old 03-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
(female)

jnhs HB User

Almost two weeks ago I received my implant retained upper denture. I have four implants in my upper jaw but at this time the denture is attached to only two implants because it is so hard for me to remove. Soon, after they loosen up a bit, attachments will be put in the other two implants. It is a huge improvement over my denture I wore for a year mostly because more of the palate is exposed. I hated the feeling of pressure on my palate-so oppressive and annoying.

Evidently there is a difference between an "implant retained" denture and an 'implant supported " denture. Implant retained also uses soft tissues [gums] for the support of the denture. An implant supported denture would require more implants and is completely supported by implants.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lolaland, I'm still learning myself, but I did have my 6 upper implants placed by a skilled periodontist that pulled my teeth as well. After my teeth were pulled, I had to wait about 8 months or more for the bone graft to fuse to my own bone. Then, he screwed my implants into my bone, which sounds worse than it actually is. After that, I had to wait a year for the implants to fuse to the bone. In the meantime, I've had consultations with a prosthodontist and a dentist, specializing in cosmetic dentistry, though most dentists claim to do so these days. I've decided it's probably best to go to a prosthodontist. I've chosen a removable overdenture, to be fitted to my implants, which will be splinted together with a bar. There are different types of overdentures. Spark Erosion is one. Some clip onto the bar. Some snap on. The advantage of these is that I'll still have an open pallete. Type in "spark erosion dental prosthetic" into your search engine, as well as "types of overdentures." I can't give you different websites here, but if you use various keywords, concernig dental impants, overdentures and prosthodontists, these will take you to more info. about implants and overdentures. A Dr. Robert Davidoff has a good website. This dental work is very expensive, which, no pun intended, is hard to swallow. I've been depressed about the whole thing, because I am having a hard time finding a prosthodontist to do this next very expensive part of my dental restoration. Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to wmkcolors:
dolphinsprite (09-16-2011)
Old 03-27-2005, 07:27 PM   #8
(male)

SRT2 HB User

I am to have implants with a bar. Is the splinting with a bar done when the implants are placed or later? Was there a separate charge for that?

Old 03-27-2005, 09:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

From my experience and my research, first the implants are placed and allowed to osseointegrate with the jaw bone. After a number of months, then you can be fitted with the overdenture, which will fit over the implants. There are different types of overdentures and yes this is a separate cost from the implants, as is any bar used. Oftentimes, a bar splints the implants together, which helps make the implants more secure for the overdenture. I found out alot of info. on-line, by typing in various words, like: dental implant overdentures, types of overdentures, prosthodontist, overdenture attachments; etc. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:05 AM   #10
(female)

lolaland HB User

Does anyone have any comments on the ball and socket kind of attachment to overdentures vice the bar attachment ?
Also, In some pics I've seen( on the web) the bar looks quite wide in the mouth, others seem narrower. Any comments?

JNHS/All : I wondered how hard is to put in and take out the denture. Since you are using only 2 implants, I take it that it is more difficult then expected. Do you have the ball and socket type? Did the dentist give you any idea how often these may need to be replaced? Also, I'm really confused about the difference between implant retained, and implant supported. I guess I thought they were the same. Could you elaborate. Is the implant- retained a removable appliance while the implant- supported for a non-removable appliance ( bridge) ? I know there is a big difference in cost between the two.

Does anyone have the non-removable kind, and do you recommend it?

Thanks all your input...Lola

Old 03-28-2005, 10:12 AM   #11
(female)

jnhs HB User

My overdenture is harder to take out than I expected-maybe because I don't have a lot of strength in my hands. My prosthodontist was able to snap it out with just one of his hands. But the retention is very strong with only two implants being utilized-which is a good thing[until I want to take it out]. Putting it in is easy-it seems to snap [or I bite] it right in. The attachments are rubber/nylon sort of housing which he said will need to be replaced maybe yearly-but this a chairside procedure which does not take long at all.

An implant supported overdenture would require more implants than four for a full arch and probably a more highly engineered overdenture,thus the increased cost. I would think the advantages would be less contact with soft tissue avoiding trauma and more load on the implants which help preserve and stimulate bone. I think it can be fixed or removable. I imagine it would feel closer to having natural teeth. The implants bear the full load of chewing ,not using soft tissues as a denture does.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

JNHS, if you don't mind my asking, how much did your overdenture cost? Did you go to a prosthodontist? And did you say you have 2 or 4 upper implants? Why did you or your doctor pick this particular type of overdenture? It's all so overwhelming.... Thanks for everyone's info.

Old 03-28-2005, 12:46 PM   #13
(female)

lolaland HB User

I sure do agree that it's all overwhelming.
I thought that all attachments to overdentures were made of metal, whether a bar or ball and socket. Is the rubber/nylon kind what is used for the ball/ socket type ? My prosto mentioned using the ball/ socket type.

wmkcolors FYI: I have an estimate of 16K for a 2 implant overdenture and 22K for a 4 implant overdenture. This includes extractions/ xrays/ temp denture etc.etc. BTW I have an estimate of $ 32K for 4 implants for 12 teeth non-removable ( cemented) upper bridge. A lot of $$$ in every case. What costs are you looking at?
Lola

Old 03-28-2005, 03:43 PM   #14
(female)

jnhs HB User

Yes, I went to a prosthodontist who planned a whole mouth rehabilitation. The costs for the upper arch were appx:

$2000 for extractions of upper [to oral surgeon]
$2500 for immediate denture [to prosthodontist]
$9000 for four implants [to oral surgeon]
$5500 for implant denture [to prosthodontist]

I didn't really know what I wanted when I began this ,I just knew I hated the idea of a denture and implants were an option. He simply presented two plans to me: two implants with palatal coverage or four implants without palatal coverage. I went for the four implants.

The bottom arch was another appx.$10000 involving gum grafts,extractions and a bridge but fotunately nothing removable. Thank goodness for home equity lines of credit!

Old 03-28-2005, 06:42 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I guess I got a good deal on my implants, $8000 for six upper implants, though that didn't include the cost of removing the teeth, about $4000. I'm being quoted a price of about $14,000 to $15,000 for the overdenture. Ouch. JNHS, I'm amazed your overdenture cost so much less. I too want the open palate. I think I need to have more than one or two consultations, with 3 different prosthodontists. Did your posthodontist, JHNS, tell you how long the bar will hold up, overtime? A prosthodontist told me sometimes the bars need to be redone every 10 years!!!! So, does that mean $1000s every decade to maintain the overdenture? I know the clips have to be changed regularly? Thanks everyone. I feel less alone in this now.

Closed Thread