It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User
Inflammed gums and flossing: What to do?

Hi,

The hygenist at my dentist's told me to continue flossing--I told them I used to do this daily, but I stopped when my gums kept being inflammed and hurt and bled every single time. She agreed that IF I were doing the technique of flossing right--they think that was all it was that made me hurt--then that would be a good reason to stop but she told me how to do it right and said if I do this daily, for 2 weeks, then all the bleeding and pain should stop. Well, it's been 4 days and after I am done flossing at night, when I lay down, all the teeth that have been worked on (and some who have not been touched at all), in the last month (I've had extensive work done) ache after I floss. The gums still get swollen, though the bleeding has subsided almost to being gone. But my gums still get red and inflammed. Why is this and, if I keep this up for the 2 weeks and still hurt every time should I just quit? I worry about not flossing now b/c I read that when you don't floss you are missing 1/3 of your tooth's surface to clean so that's a lot of bacteria and gunk that stays and eats away at your tooth!

Closed Thread