It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 07:55 PM   #1

BryanS HB User
Swelling 1 month after wisdom teeth removal

Good evening,

I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed about a month ago (month and 4 days to be precise). Everything seemed to be going perfectly fine until today. My oral surgeon had said if I had any swelling in the area to call him and I plan to tomorrow, but this evening my bottom right tooth began to swell. Nothing too bad, but slightly noticable. I'm wondering if this may have anything to do with this tylenol severe allergy medicine i started taking yesterday. I wonder because I had no problems whatsoever and then I started taking this allergy medicine Tuesday afternoon and continuing all day today. Is it the medicine or something worse? What i figured id do is not take the medicine at all tonight so that I didnt have a dose for a good 8-12 hours and then see if the swelling went back down and call the oral surgeon either way. I read about osteo (can't spell the rest) with an infection of the bone, but wouldn't that occur on upper tooth as well? The tooth with swelling was by far the tooth my oral surgeon had the hardest time getting out. Thanks for any advice in advance.

-Bryan

Old 03-31-2005, 03:56 AM   #2

BryanS HB User
Re: Swelling 1 month after wisdom teeth removal

Well the swelling is a little worse this morning so I don't think it is a result of the tylenol allergy medicine as I layed off that for almost 12 hours. I'm going to call my oral surgeon in an hour or so when he gets into his office. If this is an an infection, what does he have to do? I read some crazy horror stories about scraping bone and this and that...really all i want to do is get swelling down and fix problem, as previous to this they werent bugging me at all, not even 2 weeks out of surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 12:56 PM   #3

BryanS HB User
Re: Swelling 1 month after wisdom teeth removal

Outcome:

I went in to see my oral surgeon who confirmed for me that I had an infection. Essentially some peice of food he suspects got lodged into the spot where tooth was taken from and caused a bacterial infection. The result was i'm on antibotics for a week, tomorrow he is cleaning it out thoroughly, and something about a small hole for stuff to exit from that i'd have to clean every evening. On the flip side, he said it isnt as uncommon as i may think and that i'd be fine, in fact he said the swelling would go down from antibiotics as it has already some to pretty much gone. Only thing now im wondering, and ill inquire tomorrow is if i can still eat regular foods if i chew on other side of the mouth. Had an amazing date planned for tomorrow night and without any swelling im hoping to still go on it, but i shall see.

Closed Thread