It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
(male)

illy HB User
Flipper care

Hey, I recently got a flipper for a front tooth of mine and I was wondering the proper care for it and times for using it. Questions include:

When should I wear the flipper? (when throughout morning to sleep)
How should I properly clean the flipper and my teeth? (separate or what?)
Should I eat with the flipper in or out? If I have a choice that is.

Answer these questions assuming I want maximum care for them and no gaps.

Thank you so much. By the way, if it matters for age, I am 15.

Old 03-31-2005, 02:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User
Re: Flipper care

Hey, good luck with your dental work. While you wear your flipper, it's probably best to take it out, when you clean the rest of your teeth. I didn't wear my flipper at night. It's best to soak the flipper in water, with a denture tablet dissolved in it. This will disinfect the flipper, so, when you get up in the morning, it's clean. I always wore my flipper, when I went out, but, at home, I often didn't wear it, just to rest my mouth. Your own mouth should be the guide. If it hurts to chew, without it, then, always wear it, while eating. If you don't soak it, when you're not wearing it, the flipper tends to dry out and become brittle. I'm assumming you won't have to wear it for too long. All the best.

Last edited by wmkcolors; 03-31-2005 at 02:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 10:49 AM   #3
(male)

illy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkcolors
Hey, good luck with your dental work. While you wear your flipper, it's probably best to take it out, when you clean the rest of your teeth. I didn't wear my flipper at night. It's best to soak the flipper in water, with a denture tablet dissolved in it. This will disinfect the flipper, so, when you get up in the morning, it's clean. I always wore my flipper, when I went out, but, at home, I often didn't wear it, just to rest my mouth. Your own mouth should be the guide. If it hurts to chew, without it, then, always wear it, while eating. If you don't soak it, when you're not wearing it, the flipper tends to dry out and become brittle. I'm assumming you won't have to wear it for too long. All the best.
Thanks, but I am at home a lot and if I don't wear it, will my teeth spread apart? I don't leave a lot excluding school.

Last edited by illy; 03-31-2005 at 10:51 AM.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wmkcolors HB Userwmkcolors HB User

Alot of it depends on how long you have to wear your flipper and how many teeth were extracted. Did your dentist give you any advice? May I ask how many teeth were pulled and what your treatment will be? I had a few upper front teeth pulled and, after that healed, I had dental implants put into my jaw bone. Actually, your mouth starts to adapt to the flipper. It still feels new to you and probably on the tight side. If the dentist thinks it's best to wear the flipper, to stabilize your teeth, then, I'd follow his or her advice. If you're only wearing the flipper for a few months, I think not wearing it for part of the day would be okay. I've never worn mine at night, but do ask your dentist. Remember to soak it, when you don't wear it.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:56 PM   #5
(male)

illy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmkcolors
Alot of it depends on how long you have to wear your flipper and how many teeth were extracted. Did your dentist give you any advice? May I ask how many teeth were pulled and what your treatment will be? I had a few upper front teeth pulled and, after that healed, I had dental implants put into my jaw bone. Actually, your mouth starts to adapt to the flipper. It still feels new to you and probably on the tight side. If the dentist thinks it's best to wear the flipper, to stabilize your teeth, then, I'd follow his or her advice. If you're only wearing the flipper for a few months, I think not wearing it for part of the day would be okay. I've never worn mine at night, but do ask your dentist. Remember to soak it, when you don't wear it.
My front tooth, left one. Thanks for all of you guys help, I think I have it under control now.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:43 PM   #6
(female)

jennseiber HB User

You should really ask your dentist or whoever you got your flipper from. My dentist told me to get a fixodent denture cleanser system (which you can buy @ Wal-Mart or a drugstore) and use one of the little tablets and soak it in there once a week. Then 6 days a week he told me to soak it in mouthwash. (I found it was best to mix half mouthwash, half water to keep it from staining the flipper blue or whatever color the mouthwash is). I usually take mine out of the mouthwash or the fixodent thing and brush it gently with a toothbrush.

My dentist told me to take it out at night and soak it as I said above. It may become disloged and you may choke on it if you don't.

It's probably a good idea to eat with the flipper out if you're not in public.

A word of advice: be VERY CAREFUL with your flipper. It is VERY easy to break. I broke one last week, and had another one molded. My first one was great-looked great/natural, and my new one is awful, it looks awful and fits awful.

Good luck with your flipper, and I hope I've helped. You should really ask your dentist though for advice.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #7

visu HB User
Question Re: Flipper care

I have been on an acrylic flipper for 2 months now following an extraction and immediate dental implant.

I dont wear them at night 'cos I wear my night guard and hence soak the flippers in cold water. I wear them during the entire day, though, and have no trouble with the bite.

However, as soon as I started wearing it, I noticed that the surface of the stayplate in some areas were thinner than in other areas. Over time, these thin areas became even thinner that there are 2 minute holes in 2 places. I know for sure that I am not putting pressure at these 2 points.

I am concerned that it will eventually become so flimsy that it will break. I need to wear it for 4 more months before my crowns are put in.

Any idea why this could be happening?

Closed Thread