It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
(female)

camchase HB User
What do you think of a dentist who.......

What do you think of a dentist who tells you that you have generalized 4 - 5 mm pocketing (doesn't chart the pockets), you have the start of periodontal disease, said you can't reverse it but with $1200 worth of treatment STM III you can keep it from progressing.....

Then you go to the head of the periodontal department at the state university dental school and he says you have mostly 1 & 2 pocketing with a few 3s (yes he did chart the pockets), no 4s or 5s in your mouth, you DO NOT have periodontal disease and only need a good regular cleaning.

All this, among a few other things.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
(male)

bkbui HB User
Re: What do you think of a dentist who.......

I think the periodontist is a desparate, money hongrey, unethical dentist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rush_rulz HB User

Either bkbui is right and you can just go w/ the dental school head's assessment or you can get another (3rd) opinion but if anyone else who knew anything about teeth told me what the 2nd guy said I'd not go back to the first guy. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
(male)

bkbui HB User

Dentists working in dental school have no financial incentive, the same cannot be said for those in private practice. If I were to bet on the correct diagnosis, I would bet on the school instructor.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:40 AM   #5
(female)

lindiana53 HB User

I'm in a similar situation. My dentist is sending me to a periodontist. I tried to get into a couple of research studies at major dental schools here so I could get the work done for free but was always told that my problem wasn't serious. I trust my dentist and think he has my best interests in mind. However, at the dental schools, they usually see people in really bad shape, so my mouth looks great in comparison. I decided to go to the periodontist.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

I think he's an idiot. Don't go back to him.

Old 04-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

I don't know what to say. My dentist never told me that but he charted it and said they he will need to see me more regularly for my gums. I am looking at my chart now. I see mostly 5's. is that not reversable? Now I am scared out of my head?

I do have to continue to go for cleaning/scaling/root planing but he never told me anything about $1,200 worth of work!

I would go to another periodontist, get a second opinion from a perio, not a school instructor, just be be sure.

Good luck.

Old 04-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
(female)

camchase HB User

dma11663 - Thanks but let me clarify. The first dentist (who wanted my $$) is NOT a periodontist. The second dentist is not just a "school instructor" but IS a periodontist and the HEAD of the periodontal department at the State University. (BTW, I saw him in private practice, not a free dental clinic at the university.)

My whole point in posting this was to inform people to get a 2nd opinion and to "watch out" for attempts at getting in your pocket by (in my opinion) unscrupulous dentists. This actually happened to me, along with other rather serious issues and I would hate for it to happen to someone else.

I also have a 3rd opinion from a prosthedontist (sp?). He is in complete agreement with the 2nd opinion periodontist.

Old 04-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
(female)

camchase HB User

I'm dragging this thread to the front to update you all.

I have spoken to the Attorney General's office regarding this dentist. They are investigating fraud charges. Also questions regarding billing. My desire is to inform you to thoroughly check out any diagnosis which seems unlikely. My gums were healthy, did not bleed and never had any type of gingivitis. I wonder how many other patients he did this to?

Although justice is a slow process I will keep you informed as to the status of this case. Every one of us has a right to be able to trust what a professional tells us.

Closed Thread