It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 05:10 AM   #1
(male)

Snakeyboyo HB User
Crossbite - Need Braces?

Hi, I have recently told I have crossbite. My dentist said I will need permanent braces for a year or so. My Mum and I don't agree with this, as it is only my back teeth, so no-one can see them, even if they are a bit out of place. My question is, are braces a MUST? I will only have them fitted if it will affect my front teeth or any other teeth in future life. Please help.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
(female)

missny HB User
Re: Crossbite - Need Braces?

Hi,
The best thing to do would be to consult with an orthodontists (many offer a free consult) and they will tell you what is the best thing to do. It is very hard without being able to see you or any pictures to be able to tell you what to do over the internet.

Michele

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2005, 01:46 PM   #3

jrm4337122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missny
Hi,
The best thing to do would be to consult with an orthodontists (many offer a free consult) and they will tell you what is the best thing to do. It is very hard without being able to see you or any pictures to be able to tell you what to do over the internet.

Michele
hi yes go see an orthodontist a crossbite can also cause TMJ probs down the road , it would be best to do braces now at a younger age the teeth move better an faster not at 47 like me, (headgearjoe)

Old 04-16-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Warah HB User

I would seriously condsider braces. The cross-bite essentially means that your teeth are not fitting together in the appropriate manner when you bite. It can have adverse affects on the overall health of your teeth during your adulthood if not treated. Risks include tooth mobility, recession, sensitivity, excessive wear, cracked teeth, increase risk for periodontal disease, muscle problems, TMJ problems. More times than not braces are to preserve the function of the teeth rather than cosmetic purposes. I would also seek the advice of an orthodontist who will provide you with all the information you need.

Best of Luck.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:08 AM   #5

candice2005 HB User

Hi - I have a cross bite on 2 teeth in the back and I just got invisalign.
My ortho said it would fix 90% - I told him I would not under any circumstance get braces - so I am hoping for the best!

Old 08-10-2005, 07:16 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Cinemagic HB User

Yes - braces would be indicated. Many people can function quite nicely with a cross-bite. However it is a pre-disposing condition to future TMJ problems. That doesn't mean that you'll develop TMJ problems, but if enough factors begin to add up, it can result in problems. An orthodontist is the one to treat this condition. Seek a consultation with an orthodontist and make a decision from there.

Closed Thread