Hope this is isn't too long. Last Thursday I had Dental work done under anesthesia, which was supposed to include 3 cavaties (1 which needs a crown) filled and 2 wisdom teeth extracted in my normal dentists office. During the procedure he completed the cavaties, but when he went to do the extractions, he accidentally severed the root/nerve of another tooth. He explained to me later, that normally people have a capsule (terminology is probably wrong) around your wisdom teeth that is what generally gets infected and allows them to remove the teeth, but I am lacking that, so when he tried to remove my wisdom tooth, he slipped. Now I need to have a root canal, but his office can't get me scheduled until June 29.
I have to have it done under sedation due to traumatic dental experiences as a child/teenager, so I know that may add some time to the scheduling factor. I am not happy having to wait more than 2 months to get this taken care of, especially since I am getting married in the middle of June. I am worried that I will have problems in this amount of time and will not have time to get it fixed in a quick way. When the dentist originally talked to me about this the day after the procedure, he made it sound like he would get it done in a short amount of time (approxametely 3-4 weeks).
I also have to wait to get my permanent cap on until the end of May, because they don't have an appointment available. I had to go in today, to get the temp cap put back on because it came off when I was eating a peice of plain chocolate and they still couldn't get a better date than either of those appts. Ok, now I feel like I am whining....
But I'm very concerned that waiting this long, for the Root Canal, will cause me more problems. I do know it may be completely ok, but I don't want the chance.
I work in a hospital, I understand the basics of infection. I know the basics of root canal procedures.
Wow, that does seem like a long time to wait to get the root canal. You'd think he would be bending over backwards to accomodate you since he caused the problem, even if accidentally. I think you should call them EVERYDAY and ask to be seen sooner. My dentist takes only two weeks between doing the crown prep and cementing the permanent crown - and it only takes half an hour to fit, adjust and cement it.
I gotta agree. I would think since he admits to causing this situation you would be the first one on his list. I don't know anything about the capsule, but I hate to see you wait and develop a really bad situation. I think Soliloquy is right, I would pester him often and call to see if there's been a cancellation everyday. There will have to be one sooner than the end of June! Good luck!
If I were you, I would ask the gals or guys in the front desk to start calling people to reschedule them, so the dentist can work on you sooner. You didnt ask for this to happen. This was his doing... now he needs to accomadate you! If they have a problem with this, ask to speek to the dentist. I betcha he will have them do what ever you ask!
Just my two cents.
By the way, I waited not knowing what was going on with my tooth.. suffering from pain, only to find it abcess... now my endo put me on antibotics for 10 days, even with his OVERLY busy schedule... he is getting me in this comming Monday to do the rootcanal.
Last edited by NoSunNoFun; 04-13-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Thanks for the advice. I am apparently on a "list" to be called when there is an opening, per the receptionist, but when I was waiting to have my cap reconnected, I heard her promise the same to another on the phone. So who knows what number I am on the list for getting a sooner appointment???? I am going to call around to other dentists today to see if someone else can get me in sooner and see if I can use that as leverage. I would hate to develop an abcess or worse because he waited.
Does anyone know anything about Dental Malpractice?
Well, I talked to the dentist himself and somehow, they got me an appointment next Tuesday. I have decided to switch dentists when this is all done. I think that scheduling out 2+ months for things like root cannals is horrible. I had found another dentist in my town that could have done it before the end of may, so I think I will probably switch to his office.
In order for there to be malpractice, the dentist has to act in a way that other dentists would not. This is called negligence. This means he can recommend and perform procedures that are nod needed. or he can fail to inform you of procedures that are needed to treat your condition. For example, drilling into a tooth that does not have decay beacuse the x-rays were mounted backwards is negligent. Mounting the x-rays backwards and giving anesthsia in the wrong area of the mouth and catching the mistake before drilling the tooth is not negligence. Negligence must cause you physical or mental pain, or some type of loss. It does not sound like the accident that has led to this procedure is negligent, but failing to treat it promptly may be, especially since it was his fault.
I'm very familiar with dental anatomy and have never known of a "capsule or any other type of memebrane or barrier to surround the anatomical area of the wisdom teeth. I may be wrong. Maybe someone else knows.
I am in the same situation as you as far as having to schedule out so far. Another thing to look at is your benefits and their "warranty". For example, I went in on May 1st and May 13th of 2003 and had 2 teeth filled. These 2 teeth need to be redone, the last 2 before I get my partials. I called 5 weeks ago for this appointment and guess what? They cant get me in until the 17th of May. I thought it was weird that they got me in for 8 extractions and a medicated filling prior to this but after I booked the fillings. Turns out, after reading my dental benefit book, that there is a 24 month clause on all dental work like fillings, crowns, ect..... No charge within that 24 month period to redo them. Meaning no cost to me if they are done before May 1st and 13th of this year. So I called and pitched a fit, not because of the $74 I have to pay (willing to pay that just to make someone happy) but because of the $305 that my insurance pays that goes towards my yearly limit. This could go towards my partials that I am paying out of pocket for since I will be maxed out. Just something to think about. I cant complain about going to another dentist because my 24 month clause states that it must be done by the same dental office unless I move more than 50 miles away. So, I am stuck, on a waiting list for cancellations sometime this week but honestly, I dont think they will call me. They dont want to work for free, they dont see my financial issue as their problem.
The Dentist origanally wanted to wait until June 29 to do the root canal. But I called him personally and explained I wasn't comfortable waiting that long, I am getting married June 18 and didn't want any posibility that this whole thing could impact my wedding. He at the time said he would see what they could do. (that was last tues or weds)
Then last Friday I called and they offered to do it tomorow (Tues) at 10:00. It took some headache, but I got the day off andhad to get it approved by my other DR, as I am having surgery on Weds.
I had been on a 'list' to be called if there was an opening, but hadn't gotten anywhere, even with weekly calls to ask if there were openings.
Good Luck with your Dental issues, are you scheduled for your other things before the deadline for your insurance? If you are, maybe you could tell them you are having pain in the teeth you are supposed to have refilled and ask to 'switch' the appointments.