It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User
could my 5 YEAR old be teething?

Tonight at dinner my 5 year old told me her mouth hurt, I had her show me where it was hurting her and she pointed to the gum right behind her molar. When I looked I noticed that she only had two molars instead of three and there is plenty of room for another tooth to come in and its like that on both bottom sides and both top sides. I cant believe I never noticed that before.
I felt the area she had showed me and sure enough its raised like when a baby teeths.
Is this normal, I mean shes 5 YEARS old and missing 4 teeth thats crazy.
I know theres nothing to be done about this, her teeth are going to come in no matter what, I just never heard of anything like this happening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2005, 10:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Warah HB User
Re: could my 5 YEAR old be teething?

It sounds like her permanent 1st molars (or 6 year molars) are coming in a little early. They come in right behind her primary (baby) molars. These baby molars will be lost to permanent adult premolars at ages 10-12. She will get her second molars behind her 6 year molars at 12 years (12 year molar). The last molars are the 3rd molars or wisdom teeth which appear from 17 on if they appear at all.

As you probably know the gum area where teeth come in can be very tender from the inflammation process. Try childrens Tylenol or whatever you like to give for mild pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2005, 11:15 PM   #3
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User

Well whats weird is after I looked in her mouth I looked in her 6 year old sisters mouth and she had molars where my 5 year old didnt. I looked in her baby book and all of her teeth were accounted for by the age of 20 months, but in my 5 year olds book there are 4 teeth missing-the last four molars.
Im not doubting what you are saying for all I know you may totally right I just dont understand why my 6 year old has all her teeth when the little one doesnt. Wouldnt baby teeth have to fall out before adult teeth come in?
I'm treating this just like I did when she was baby except for the orajel she hates that stuff and wont use it but the Tylenol made her mouth stop hurting.

Old 04-17-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User

Hi, My son is 5 yrs old also and I kept catching him with his fingers in his mouth and chewing on them..Didn't think much of it till he had to have his one tooth pulled in the back and when I checked the extraction site I noticed a part of a tooth back there I first assumed the dentist forgot some of his tooth. So when we went back to the denist a couple days later I asked about it and they told me it was his 6 year molar coming thru. So I say thats probably what your daughter is doing!

Old 04-17-2005, 08:26 PM   #5
(female)

soliloquy HB User

The first permanent molar does not replace any baby teeth. Your daughters have 20 baby teeth. The first permanent molar (6-year molar) comes in right behind the last baby molar. Your older daughter must already have her six year molars. If you count her teeth, she'll have 24.

Last edited by soliloquy; 04-17-2005 at 08:30 PM.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:29 PM   #6
(female)

daydreamer77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_Robyn
Well whats weird is after I looked in her mouth I looked in her 6 year old sisters mouth and she had molars where my 5 year old didnt. I looked in her baby book and all of her teeth were accounted for by the age of 20 months, but in my 5 year olds book there are 4 teeth missing-the last four molars.
Im not doubting what you are saying for all I know you may totally right I just dont understand why my 6 year old has all her teeth when the little one doesnt. Wouldnt baby teeth have to fall out before adult teeth come in?
I'm treating this just like I did when she was baby except for the orajel she hates that stuff and wont use it but the Tylenol made her mouth stop hurting.
I'm a little confused, but if you count and your 5 yr old has 20 teeth, she isn't missing any. Your 6 yr old may have gotten her 6 yr molars, which is why she has more teeth. And no, you don't lose baby teeth in order to get your permanent molars. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but just count her teeth to see if there's less than 20.

Old 04-18-2005, 05:24 PM   #7
(female)

Im_Robyn HB User

OMG you guys are all right I counted both my daughters teeth and my 6 year old does have 24, well actually 23 two of her baby teeth are fused together, and my five year old only has 20. Now I feel horrable I dont when my 6 year old got those teeth in she never complained about her mouth hurting her, I rechecked her baby book and they are not listed I must of looked wrong last time.
I was never told about 6 year molars this is very new to me.
Well thank you are all very much I totally learned something new today.

Old 04-24-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
(male)

Philsan3 HB User

Trust the previos posters. The baby MOLARS will be replaced by adult PREMOLARS (I think you call them bicuspids in the US). The adult MOLARS come up all alone behind the baby teeth from 5-7 years. All normal.

Closed Thread