It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
My filling fell out and I never went to the dentist....

My filling filling fell out I would say two months ago. It's really only 1/2 of the filling. I didn't want to go see my dentist until I finished paying off a huge bill that I owed him AND it didn't bother me. when it happened, I figured I go sooner than later and would just wait it out.

Food was constantly getting stuck inside it. I would use a toothpick to pull it out. Now, last month it started to hurt a bit. A dull ache that spread around my whole jaw line. Now then pain severe enough to make me take tylenol and is on my top teeth too? Or am I imagining it? Could I have done serious damage by putting off going to get it re-filled. COuld I have reuined my gums?

I have satisfied my account now and am going to call him up for a look see. I always think that any ache or sicknesses I have is the one to kill me.....I guess you could call me a hypocondriact (??? I know I didn't spell that correctly).

Any advise? What do you think?

Old 04-20-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
(female)

dabner HB User
Re: My filling fell out and I never went to the dentist....

I'm glad you're going to the dentist. You are havin pain in your tooth because the remaining filling is probably loose and bacteria is leaking inder it and causing your tooth to decay. It may have gone to the pulp by now, and the fact that the teeth above it are hurting indicate that that has already happened. When a tooth's root or pulp has decay, infection sets in and spreads through the root and into the surrounding tissue. The tooth eventually becomes necrotic (it dies). While this particular tooth may not hurt any longer, necrotic or abcessed teeh defer pain to the adjacent teeth or sometimes to the teeth they bite against. You may very well need a root canal to save the tooth. You may even need to have it pulled. YOur dentist can give you a treatment plan. You probably should have called him when this first happened and you probably could have just had a new filling placed and been on your merry way. Now you probably need root canal therapy. Let this be a lesson to never neglect your teeth. Preventive dentistry (although not cheap) is considerably less expensive than restorative dentistry. Best of luck! Let him know exactly what the problem is before you go in so he can give you antibiotics to take before your appointment, if needed. Sometimes you cannot treat a tooth that has infection (it's also harder to numb).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Wow thanks for the insight. It always amazes me how much invaluable info I received from this site.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

In addition i wanted to add.....

The filling fell out. There was no pain for a while. I honestly didn't think much of it. I tried not to eat on that side of my mouth. I knew I would eventually go see him but was embarrassed because of the minor installments I was paying him for a previous procedure.

Then the pain came....it would be here one day and then the next it was gone. I would go days and weeks with no hint of pain but.....

Just recently the pain has been consitant and is brought on with any eating or drinking. What freaks me out is that ALL my teeth/gums ache...top and bottom now. Does this mean I will be loosing all my teeth because of this possible infection?

How can a possibly decaying tooth on the bottom make the pain on the top happen too?

I have been reading stories of other people on this forum that let a filling go unfliied for over 2 years with no infections for that long. I only went for 2 or 3 months like this.....

I will call my dentist tomorrow and start antibiotics if needed. I am so scared of infection, the possibility of lossing my teeth and the connection of gum infection and heart problems. This is all I need!

Last edited by Elda; 04-20-2005 at 09:42 PM.

Closed Thread