It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2005, 08:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User
Root Canal & Crown .vs. Extraction & Partial?

I have an abcessed tooth and I have the option of having it pulled or a root canal. I have major problems with my teeth and have since I was a little kid. I have always kept up with dental work and cleanings and brush daily, but still get cavaties and my teeth break very easy! I also have problems with fillings staying in. So I'm really concerned about having a root canal done! With the problems that I have listed do you think a root canal is the way to go? I fear that I will have it done and pay all that money and then the tooth would end up breakin off and I'd have to have it pulled anyhow! Has anyone else had teeth like mine and gotten a root canal done and had no problems with it afterwards? Thanks

Old 04-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User
Re: Root Canal & Crown .vs. Extraction & Partial?

Hi Beanie! My dental story sounds alot like yours. I have always had bad teeth no matter how well I take care of them. I have never had a filling stay in for very long. When you get your root canal are you going to have it crowned? I would think that would be fine. I had 4 root canals but never had the money to get the crowns. So of course the fillings fell out and my teeth broke off. But I think if you have it crowned, it will work. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
(female)

whatamuse HB User

It's so very hard to tell. I would really get a crown if you can afford it. I would pull it IF it has been infected severely, more than once, or you can't afford it. But then again, a partial is just as or more expensive i do believe.

I know i have had three teeth pulled from bad root canals ones that werent done well, all the way filled, or just dumb luck. The pain... was gone and that is what i like about pulling them. But as i havent gotten any replaced with partials i cannot say if its better.

You're not alone though!

Old 04-21-2005, 05:13 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

tndollface HB User

Beanie, I have the same story as yours, I have taken care of my teeth and been to the dentist many many times but they say that I have no enamel on my teeth that is why they break so easy, I have had quite a few root canals done and crowned, some have lasted and some have not. I had one that was crowned with a silver crown and it got a small pin hole in it,probably from eating something hard and it caved in. I have opted to have that one and another bottom tooth removed and a partial put in. I do not have them yet so I can't comment on which is better, Just give you my thought on it. I have spent so much money on crowns and fillings to no avail that I have decided on the partial. They can only fill the same tooth so many times, till there is nothing left of your natural tooth to work with.

While it is usually better to try to save your natural teeth, sometimes that is not an option. Good luck to you.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:42 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User

Thanks for the replies! Its so hard to make up my mind which way to go! I hate the fact of having a partial at such a young age, but I don't like the fact that the root canal could go bad anyhow. I've had so many discussions with people about this situation and almost everyone of them has told me to go for the partial since the root canal and crown isn't always promising and also caz how many problems I have with my teeth! My dentist can do a root canal (no crown) for the same cost as an extraction and partial! So it would definitely be cheaper to go with extraction and partial considering crowns are very expensive! I don't have the money for a crown or a partial, but I'm goin to try and get a loan to cover which ever way I decide to go! I think I have made up my mind tho at least for this minute..lol...I really think it would be for the best to just get it pulled! If I do decide to definietly go with the extraction I think I'm goin to call Affordable Dentures since you can usually have the partial the same day! If you made it this far thanks for listening..and again thanks for the replies!

Old 04-21-2005, 07:43 AM   #6
(female)

whatamuse HB User

Ah good luck there. I had no idea partials were cheaper than crowns. Good news for me too!

Closed Thread