It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

cindyx4 HB User
Massive swelling, pain on left cheek..

Hello,

Istarted having pain ina tooth on the top left side of my mouth. The pain wa just when I would bite down. The tooth happened to be one that I had a root canal and crown on and had never bothered me bofore. Friday I called my dentist, who wa out of town, and placed on amoxil 500mg. By Friday night, my face started to swell and by Saturday morning my face was at least 3x it's normal size. The swelling affects my whole left cheek, under my eye, into my nose and down my neck. The pain is horrible. I went to the ER on Saturday night and they put me on clydamiacin (sp?) 300mg 4x a day. Since being on this my swelling has not gottne any better but it has not increased either. I have been able to back off the vicodin a little bit. I see the dentist tomorrow morning and am nervous about what's going to be done.

What can happen to a tooth that has already had a root cancal? Does anyone know when the swelling should go down? Is it normal to feel like aI've bene run over by a mack truck? I feel so sick to my stomache, my head is killing me and I just feel blah. I've done nothing but sleep all day. Any insight?

Also wanted to add that the pain I feel now is where my gum meets my cheek. I don't know if this is an indication of the infection spreading or what.

Thanks.

cindy

Last edited by cindyx4; 04-24-2005 at 04:43 PM.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
(female)

dabner HB User
Re: Massive swelling, pain on left cheek..

When you have a root canal on a toth it is because the tooth is dead, so any pain you are feeling is not from the actual tooth, but rather from infection that may have started in the tooth and spread to the surrounding tissues. In fection can start in a tooth that has had endo (root canal) if the crown is not sealed properly and becomes loose around the edges. ANother possibility is that you have another tooth that has a cavity that has reached the pulp and the tooth is necrotic (dying). When this happens, the affected tooth will sometimes have no pain, but rather defer that pain to an adjacent or opposing tooth. Your dentist will take x-rays and do some sensitivity tests to determine the cause. The antibiotics you are taking should only keep the swelling under control. The swelling will not go away completely until it's source is removed. If it is the tooth that had the endo that has the infection, the endo will probably be reworked, or you could have a fractured root or some other reason the endo is failing. I recently had my second endo fail due to a fractured root. I have to have an extraction on a lateral incisor. There is no hurry as long as there is no inflamation or infection, so i'm holding on to this tooth as long as possible. Hope your prognosis is better than mine. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread