It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
(female)

brita HB User
Complications From Scaling/Root Planing

I had scaling and root planing done on me 6 months ago and have had problems with it ever since. The back of my gums are dark and discolored. I think she went to deep. Also I have a red triangle in between two teeth. It looks very odd. The hygienist was rough and gave me several shots. One of the shots hit a vein or gland and now I have a small lump with a blue dot (its a vein I found out) in the middle of it on the upper right inside of my lip. I went to an oral surgeon and he said if it gets bigger it will have to be cut out. I went to a dentist and he said leave it alone. The periodontist wouldn't help me with the problems. I have also found out about the sunburn red gum tissue. It is a burn. Went to emergency and the Dr. said it is permanent in color. I am hoping these burns will fade some day. I can hardly imagine any of this being good for your gums. I would rather have the infection. Does anybody know if you are more prone to getting oral cancer when you have had some nasty burns in your mouth?

Last edited by brita; 06-12-2005 at 05:42 PM.

Old 04-27-2005, 07:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Warah HB User
Re: Complications From Scaling/Root Planing

I am sorry you have had some problems after this procedure. The tooth sensitivity is the most common side effect. You probably have some recession (gums have receeded and roots are exposed) and need a desensitizer. Try Sensodyne toothpaste first for about a month then go off it for two weeks and then back on a month. If this doesn't work have the dentist or hygienist apply a fluoride varnish at your next appointment. You might want to try Gel Kam availible at your dental office or prescription if the Sensodyne doesn't work.

As for the gum discoloration...I have no idea. Usually the gums can be hemmoraghic and bruised for a couple days but not for 4 months. Are you brushing and flossing? Does it hurt?

And as far as the lump on your lip, I assume you feel it was from the injection. Has this been confirmed from other doctors? You can also get a hematoma from an injection, but again they go away within a week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

brita HB User
Re: Complications From Scaling/Root Planing

Yes the lump with the veiny dot has been confirmed by an oral surgeon. I didn't have any of this before the procedure. The hygienist just deep cleaned to hard and doesn't know what she is doing. A Doctor told me this is all permanent damage. Again I am letting people know this is a [B]invasive procedure and not be taken as just a little bit more than a regular cleaning. Its like getting liposuction in your mouth.

Closed Thread