It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 05:45 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User
Novacaine,Surgical Extraction and now facial drooping?

Hi All, I had a tooth that was bothering me so i went to the dentist in hopes to have it extracted. As it turns out i had 2 abscessed teeth (lower left side). When the dentist went to numb me up i noticed instead of injecting the novacaine by hand with a needle, he had some sort of pump that had IV tubing attached with i think a small needle on the end of the tubing. He stuck the needle in my mouth and then turned the pump up as i watched the novacaine go through the tubing. Anyways, the first extraction went well, however the second tooth broke off at the gum line and the dentist said that he would have to surgically extract it. He used a scalpal and cut my gums and did remove the tooth. I had such problems with it afterward. He did not stitch it at all, i ended up with dry socket in both tooth sockets with sharp bone poking up out of the one socket.

When the novacaine started to wear off i noticed i had some facial drooping on the left side of my mouth. It is now 2 weeks later and it is still drooping. I went to a pain clinic today as i suffer chronic pain in my neck since i had neck surgery a year ago. The pain doctor noticed the drooping and then did a full exam to find that it is not only the corner of my mouth that is affected but also my left eye.

The pain doctor doesnt seem to confident that the dental work is the cause but told me i needed to see my family doctor and also the neurosurgeon ASAP as this is very serious. ?????? I am just at a loss, I am frustrated!!!!

Is there anyone out there who has experienced facial drooping after dental work?????

Thanks, ValleyGurl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Warah HB User
Re: Novacaine,Surgical Extraction and now facial drooping?

Sounds like he used a special syringe called the "Wand" to numb you up with. I have not heard of facial paralysis when injection was wearing off.
But if you numb that area the facial nerve inside the parotid can be close to the inferior alveolar nerve which numbs the lower jaw. If he injected into the facial nerve your facial muscles would be numb instantly but would go away as the anesthetic wore off. I don't think the facial nerve could be damaged from the extraction itself. But have heard of the inferior alveolar being damaged during an ext (not uncommon). But the alveolar does not innervate the muscles around the eye the infraorbital does... Are your teeth numb at all or just soft tissue?

Keep us posted, it would be interesting to hear diagnosis.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaRDH
Sounds like he used a special syringe called the "Wand" to numb you up with. I have not heard of facial paralysis when injection was wearing off.
But if you numb that area the facial nerve inside the parotid can be close to the inferior alveolar nerve which numbs the lower jaw. If he injected into the facial nerve your facial muscles would be numb instantly but would go away as the anesthetic wore off. I don't think the facial nerve could be damaged from the extraction itself. But have heard of the inferior alveolar being damaged during an ext (not uncommon). But the alveolar does not innervate the muscles around the eye the infraorbital does... Are your teeth numb at all or just soft tissue?

Keep us posted, it would be interesting to hear diagnosis.
Hi There, Thanks so much for your reply and the information.
This is what happened, I went and had the extractions in the afternoon. It didnt seem to take to long for the numbness to wear off at all, and i have no numbness anywhere. Anyway, i went to bed that night and when i awoke in the morning and went into the bathroom i noticed that the corner of my mouth was drooping. It still is, and it now has been 2 1/2 weeks.

I had an initial visit at a pain clinic yesterday for chronic post op pain in my neck. While i was there the pain doctor noticed the drooping immediately and started questioning me about it. He then decided he would do a neurological exam and that is when i found out that my left eye was also affected.
He then told me that i needed to go see my Neurosurgeon as well as my GP immediately as he stated "This is very serious".

I cant get into the Neurosurgeon until May 18th, however i did go to see my GP today and he told me that he believes that it is Bells Palsey. It is strange because it seems that often the drooping is worse in the morning as soon as i awake as well as some days it is more noticeable than others.

If it is Bells Palsey it is strange that it came on all of a sudden immediately after the extractions were done. So that is my story......

Do you have any more input? I would love to hear it.

By the way, here is a little medical history. I had 2 herniated discs at levels C4-5 and C5-6. I had a Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion with Titanium Cages. Prior to the surgery i had pinched nerves and all the pain and numbness and problems i experienced from the herniated discs was all on the left side. My surgery was a little over a year ago and i am still having chronic pain on the left side as well as this past January after a CT scan i found out that i have 2 bone spurs, arthritis and another pinched nerve all in the area where the Titanium cages are. So now with the drooping on the left side of my face i just found it quite ironic that this also happened on the LEFT side.
I am not sure if my previous injury and surgery has anything to do with this NEW drooping problem or not. It is all crazy and to have all these problems when i just turned 36 in January.

Thanks for reading my post and having interest. I greatly appreciate it!

ValleyGurl

Old 04-29-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

P.S. I forgot to add that when i spoke with the dentist who performed the extractions and told him about the facial drooping he told me that he has had a FEW patients who had this happen to them temporarily, however, he said and i quote " I have only had one patient who had permanent nerve damage and facial drooping post extraction"!

Just a tid bit of info. Thanks again!

VG

Closed Thread