It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

jansmokeyty HB User
post wisdom tooth extraction

ok i had all four wisdom teeth taken out yesterday and i just have some questions.

my bottom right one is the only pain i feel which is understandable because it was the only one they had to go under the gums for. how long should my pain be lasting? how do dry sockets happen and when do they happen and when do i know i am all clear. when/how should i brush my teeth. i tried a little bit this morning but all i could get were my front teeth. i cant open my mouth all the way and im afraid ill disturb anything back there if i stick the brush back there.

thanks

Old 05-18-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
(female)

jansmokeyty HB User
Re: post wisdom tooth extraction

since nobody answered my question i have another one that maybe you can answer.

the only pills i have are tylenol 3's they seem to be making my mouth covered in this white goop, and my breath smells horrid. even after i brush what i can it still stinks. is it because of the pills?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
(female)

MarigoldFroggy HB User

I just had my wisdom teeth out last week. Dry sockets occurs when a blood clot does not form properly and usually happens within the couple days after your operation. You should already be brushing your teeth, just make sure to steer clear of the holes where your teeth got taken out. I still have a little trouble opening my mouth all the way but it gradually got easier to open my mouth as the days progressed after my surgery. Your oral surgeon or dentist also should have given you instructions on how to clean the holes where your wisdom teeth were removed. I personally have to squirt half a syringe of scope and warm water into each of the bottom holes, which is yucky but it prevents infection. The saliva your body produces to dissolve food can actually dissolve the blood clots that have formed, especially in the bottom two holes. There are also probably special procedures for those who have gotten stitches afterwards, but I was not given any stitches after my wisdom teeth were removed so I do not know what they would be. You should make sure you know how you are supposed to be cleaning your mouth to avoid infection. If your mouth tastes funny or the pain does not decrease after the 4th or 5th day after your surgery, you should call your oral surgeon or dentist. The pain is going to get worse for the first few days after your surgery but it should go back down. As far as being all clear goes, if you are pain free and don't have any problems after a week, you should be pretty well off. The people who I have talked to have said it took about two weeks for their holes to close, though this is again different if you have stitches. Hope you get better soon!

For the second question, my mouth started to have a really bad taste around the 4th or 5th day after my surgery. I went back to my oral surgeon and he showed me how to clean my mouth better. There is also a packing that can be used to treat this if you are in a lot of pain. You might want to try advil, I have been taking that since my presription pain pills made me sick and it hasn't caused any problems. I don't think brushing your teeth alone is enough to keep your mouth clean, make sure you know what you're supposed to do to prevent infection. Dry socket is associated with bad taste, severe pain, and fever. If you don't have all three, chances are you don't have dry socket, but you should be extra careful to keep the area clean.

Last edited by MarigoldFroggy; 05-18-2005 at 10:37 PM.

Old 05-18-2005, 10:56 PM   #4
(female)

jansmokeyty HB User

i dont really have any pain. just in the one spot where the tooth was under the gums and its not that bad. my biggest issue is the bad breath and this white stuff. all i was given was gauze and the tylenol 3's. they said to swish my mouth with saltwater they didnt give me any antibiotics or anything like that. this white stuff is digusting though it smells terrible and it tastes terrible. im almost positive its from the pills because when i put a pill in my mouth very quickly i taste it again.

Old 05-18-2005, 11:14 PM   #5
(female)

MarigoldFroggy HB User

Try changing what medication you are taking and if that doesn't help, see your oral surgeon or dentist. If you don't have any pain though, you don't need to be worried about having dry socket as that is accompanied by a lot of pain.

Closed Thread