It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

Joyfulgirl HB User
Root canal or pull tooth?

My two rear molars on my bottom jaw need root canals. I had an infection in one, treated it with antibotics and all was well.. by the time I got an appointment with my dentist, the infection was back but not nearly as bad, and the other tooth was becoming sensitive too. Today the tooth that had an infection before is killing me. I'm on antibotics again and they haven't been working (been on amoxicillin since Sunday afternoon). My question is.. since they are my back teeth, should I really go for the $1200 root canal per tooth or just get them pulled. I'm really torn because I'm only 21 and my dentist told me that my top teeth will begin to lower since they don't have anything to grind against. But then again, $2400 is a lot of money and they are my back teeth..

Old 05-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Cinemagic HB User
Re: Root canal or pull tooth?

Your dentist is right. My recommendation is to have the root canals done and follow up with the crown afterwards. Many people look at back teeth and say, "I can't see them, so take them out". Unfortunately, it creates a multitude of other problems. Not that you will notice now, or even next year, but by the time you're in your 30s, you'll be on your way to other problems, or needing partial dentures, etc. Best to keep what you have and take care of them.

Last edited by Cinemagic; 05-19-2005 at 01:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User

I say it all depends on how the rest of your teeth are!? If the rest of your teeth are good I'd say go with the root canals, but if you have major problems with other teeth I would probably opt to have them pulled! Every dentist and every person has different opinions, but I had the very back teeth up top on both sides pulled and my dentist didn't have a problem with doin it..he just made sure they weren't used for grindin! If they were front teeth my dentist urges you to have a root canal done tho caz of the shifting, but anyhow if you have the root canals done make sure you have them crowned shortly afterwards or more problems will come about!

Old 05-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #4
(male)

mike21a2 HB User

Just my own two cents--but I had each rear lower molar pulled years ago; my top teeth above them have not caused me any problems, and I have not in any way regretted having the lower molars pulled. While dentists' advice should always be considered, patients also need to remember that they are in business to make money--and they make a lot more on root canals and crowns than they do on extractions!

Old 05-19-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Warah HB User

Pulling savable teeth is BAD advice! I guarantee you will regret it when you get older. Like Cinemagic said pulling teeth can cause a whole host of problems within the dentition (especially the lower molars).

Old 05-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
(female)

lindiana53 HB User

I've spent a fortune to keep my own teeth in my mouth and haven't regretted it for a moment. There are no teeth as good as the ones you have, and gaps cause other teeth to shift and bone to deteriorate.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

Absolutely save your own teeth if you can! Otherwise you have "holes" back there - How attractive.
Have the root canals and get them crowned.

Old 05-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

dma11663 HB User

always save your teeth if possible.

Never pull them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #9
(female)

Joyfulgirl HB User

Now I'm getting more worried. My dentist said that root canals only hurt when there is an infection. I was put back on the antibiotics but my infection has gotten worse. Last night I got the sensation of my gum being pulled from my tooth, and my gums were very senstive only under that tooth, nowhere in front of or behind. Today my gum is extremely swollen to where you can notice on my face. I called then dentist and they said to come in tomorrow, that the infection didn't go away completely so I need stronger antibiotics. Little nervous about what's going on.. never had anything like this before.

Old 05-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
(male)

mike21a2 HB User

Root canals are not always the problem solvers that many dentists make them out to be. I had one on a cracked lower molar over a month ago; two weeks went by and my throbbing toothache had not improved. My endo then put me on an antibiotic, and, when a few days passed w/o improvement, a stronger one. Then a few days later, he went back into the tooth, and discovered that he had missed a 4th canal that didn't show up on the x-ray. He cleaned that and it brought some (although not total) improvement. Then he sealed the tooth (still somewhat painful) about a week later, and told me to get the permanent crown put on it. I did 2 days later, only to realize about after about one day (amidst much pain) that the bite on the crown was too high on one of the cusps. My dentist adjusted that on Sunday (at least his schedule is flexible), and the tooth has calmed down noticeably again. But the bottom line is that the tooth still hurts, and it's been more than a month since the root canal treatment began. I'm going to hang in there with it awhile longer, but it may ultimately have to come out. Anyway, I hope that you're having better luck with yours!

Old 05-23-2005, 06:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

Remember when reading this it is from someone who just had all her teeth pulled for health reasons. My teeth were not in the best shape but I would rather have those teeth back then to be dealing with extreme amount of pain I am in right now. Between the extractions, bone spurs, missing jaw bone and dentures my mouth is a mess.

Now, go to the dentist and get a root canal. Yes, it hurts when the novicaine (sp?) wears off. But it is a different pain then what you feel now and it will go away. Pulling the tooth just for money reasons is not worth leaving a gap in your teeth causing others to shift in turn causing your bite to change,loss of bone mass that causes your teeth to shift and move more. This also allows the gums to hide germs and bacteria causing more infections that will ruin other teeth and then they too will need root canals or you can always pull them as they happen. This extraction method will work only if all that money you are saving not doing the root canal is put in the bank for safe keeping, cause you are going to need it to pay for the dentures.
Hate to be blunt but you are 21 and need your teeth. Trust me

Casey

Old 05-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #12
(female)

Texasnexus HB User

I say keep the teeth! I'm in the process of having a root canal done. This is not my first. I too had an infection, and it was no fun. Ok, back to matter at hand. You are so young and your teeth are so important, please try to save them. You need those back molars to grind and chew. Having a root canal is a piece of cake. The only pain you will feel is handing over the 2,400.00. However, it will be well worth it!

Old 05-24-2005, 04:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I didn't really have much pain with my root canal. Compared to the pain that drove me to the dentist to begin with, the pain afterwards was much less! I was a bit sore for the next two or three days, but it was not too bad. The dentist had prescribed some painkillers, but I was busy doing important stuff so I just took tylenol and I felt fine on the OTC meds. So really, if you are in a lot of pain now, the pain of the root canal won't be so bad. Apparently, if there is an infection, they need to use more novocaine, but they should still be able to get you numb. And once they do the initial stick, you won't feel the rest of it anyway. My dentist numbed me all up and started, and I felt just a little bit of something, and he numbed me up some more, then all was good. I didn't feel a thing during the root canal (or the next 8 hours, for that matter), and I was just a little sore for the next few days.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:45 AM   #14
(male)

mike21a2 HB User

Root canals go well and pretty pain-free for some people, but not for others . . . just look at some of the long threads on this board about people having serious pain for weeks, or even months, after having root canals done. That is not to say that they are not worth trying, if you can afford it, but they are not guaranteed to succeed either.

Old 05-25-2005, 02:25 PM   #15
(female)

Okiemom2005 HB User

I am in the same situation with my dentist right now too.
I can barely afford my montly bills let alone the money for the root canal and bridge he wants to do. I don't have the money and I can't be in pain for months while I try to come up with the money to have the root canal done.
My dentist of course told me the same thing, If I pull one of my chewing teeth the two teeth on either side and the one above it will shift to try to compensate for that lost tooth.
If you can afford it get the root canal, if not pull it.
I am going friday to have mine pulled and later on I will get a partial when I can get together the money. I don't plan on having the gap there and leave it that way.
Also the tooth right above it is starting to ache really bad. I think I'm getting an infection in it also.
He gave me Keflex, an antibiotic to kill the infection so they can pull it friday and Lortabs for the pain. I didn't like the way the Lortabs made me feel, I started to shake all over so I am going to stick to extra strength Tylenol for the pain.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Closed Thread