It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2005, 01:46 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

greeneyes100 HB User
Tooth Pain on Right Side of Mouth

I am having this really wierd feeling in my upper and lower right molars. The pain is on and off. One time I bit down on something really hot, and it felt like a shooting pain, like something was hitting a nerve. But the pain is not constant and usually cold things don't bother them. I read that some things, other than your teeth, can cause certain types of tooth pain. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had this kind of tooth pain, on and off. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2005, 04:11 PM   #2
(female)

dabner HB User
Re: Tooth Pain on Right Side of Mouth

I would go to the dentist. Pain associated with chewing and heat or cold sensitivity can sometimes be a sign of a tooth becoming necrotic (dying). If this is the case, you may either (1) have two teeth that are having this problem, or (2) the tooth that is affected is referring pain to a tooth in the lower arch. This happens more frequently in men. If you are having tooth pain in the upper and lower molars, you can be pretty certain that it is a tooth that is causing the pain. This is a time sensitive thing. Get to the dentisit ASAP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

greeneyes100 HB User

The only thing is I'm not having the pain anymore and last night I ate something hot, and didn't feel a thing. Also, I will feel it for a few seconds when not eating at all. It's very strange. I made a dental appointment for next week. I don't understand how a tooth can be dying when it has a crown and/or fillings.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Cinemagic HB User

Crowns and/or fillings have nothing to do with keeping the nerve of a tooth from dying, except be removing the decay that if left untreated would result in an abscess. Sometimes if decay gets deep, a filling is done or if too much tooth structure is missing, a crown is done. The decay can get close to the nerve, but not actually penetrate into the nerve. The dentist removes all the decay and sees no indication to do a root canal. The filling or crown is done. But the decay that occurred actually caused some damage to the nerve. As bacteria grow, they produce acids and inflammatory by products that travel down the dentinal tubules towards the nerve. The nerve responds by 1) pain and 2) trying to retreat from the advancing decay. So even though the bacteria causing the decay has not actually gotten to the nerve, their effects are felt. After the decay is removed and the tooth filled, the nerve either settles down and all is good, or is can never quite recover and become necrotic. A nerve that dies this type of death will hurt for a while and then not at all for a while. It will come and go until something is seen on x-ray (some months or years later), or the pain remains. If a tooth hurts to hot and the pain lingers, then a root canal is in your future - even if it goea away for a little while.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
(female)

Texasnexus HB User

Greeneyes. I wish you luck. I had the same thing happen to me. I bit down on something and had the same pain. Went to the dentist he said I had an abcess. I had a crown put on that tooth about four years ago. I was put on an antibiotic for 7 days. Went back and he cleaned out the canals in preparation for the root canal, squirted something in them then I believe he packed them with cotton and replaced the crown with temp. cement. I had asked if he should take an xray first but he said no, he would be able to tell if the infection was still there once he got into the tooth. Short story, I have an infection. Taking another antibiotic and Vicodin. This is the third day of pain but it has lessened. Now, he wants to remove the crown and irrigate it etc. I am afraid for him to even touch it while I have the infection. The pain has been mostly in the hard palate above the tooth. This time he is going to xray it. I'm also hearing that I might have four canals and he should be able to tell by the xray. I heard that story from another dentist when he messed up a root canal years ago. Call me scared and very uneasy! Good Luck!

Old 05-22-2005, 09:51 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

greeneyes100 HB User

I'm just afraid of the money involved I guess. I have dental insurance, but it's not very good. It's $100 deductible and they said they would just do x-rays to see what is. But I've heard that some people have this type of tooth pain and they go the dentist and nothing is wrong. Sometimes, other things can cause this type of tooth sensitivity. I guess I'm trying to think on the bright side. I know root canals are very expensive and am hoping I don't need one! It cost so much to get the crown I have now and she they might have to take it out and do another one if I need a root canal. It really makes me mad, because I just got that crown about two years ago.

Actually a crown fell off another one of my molars and I never had it replaced. Funny, but that molar never bothers me and it's only half there!

Old 05-23-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
(female)

Texasnexus HB User

Your dentist should be able to reuse the crown. Be thankful that you have insurance. $100.00 deductible sounds great to me. I paid 525.00 for the root canal and that was with a 25% discount!

Closed Thread