It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 07:32 AM   #1
(female)

heatherz HB User
Exclamation Absess After Root Canal And Antibiotics Pain Returning

Hello, this is my first post.

In April, I had a root canal on a tooth that was broken vertically, back half missing. Everything was exposed..you can imagine the throbbing mind-altering pain at night and during the daytime.

The root canal was done, but could almost not make me numb enough to work on me. I have always had this problem. Many dentists have told me it's in my head. Been like this for around 8 years.

BUT!!! This dentist who did the root canal told me two things that actually made sense! He said that the circulation in the gums around my teeth is excellent, which is wonderful for gum health,but hell when at the dentist, because the novacaine does not stay put...instead it leaves the area too quickly. He timed it....10 minutes it lasts!!!! Had to keep injecting me. The other thing... that the inflamation from any infection or irritation will prevent the novacaine from taking effect¨!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that work was done at University of Basel, here in Switzerland. As it's a teaching school of DDS, the remaining work (crown or whatever) would be done by a student at half price. I politely said no cause i have so many inherant problems with my teeth anyway, and I prefer to not tempt fate. (So I had to find an established dental praxis in town).

After 2 days, my tooth started hurting big time. No cold things...any cold at all...spread to my lower jaw like a car hit it... tears streaming down my face if anything cold touched it...room temp is too cold. My head and neck starting to hurt during the day in a peculiar way.

Went on ibuprofin 400 for a couple weeks til i could get an appointment. I'm sure the stress of it all is not helping me any.

Last week thursday, saw the other dentist to finish the work, and my tooth would not get numb enough to continue. He said first that as i had had a root canal, that he need not inject me. OMG. well, first he humiliated me by putting that dry ice thing on my tooth which sent me into tears of oblivion. Then said, well, you seem to be still sensitive. I will give you an injection. So he did. I of course had explained my problem of not getting numb quickly, that they never believe me....etc etc etc. So, of course..my tongue only felt a bit tingly. And my lip a bit warm, but could feel everything. eventually everything but the root of the tooth would get numb. all he had to do was tap it a bit and it felt like a hammer! He told me, ok, I will try to just take out the filling. If it hurts, tell me. Well...DUH. He can't tap it...LET'S TRY THE DRILL. So I went through the roof with 2 seconds of drilling and the room temp water the assistant was pouring over the tooth LOL... Tears and holding my jaw...he starts up a conversation expecting me to calmly think and answer. What is his major malfunction???!!!!!!

Well, the lightbulb lit from up above. He decided to give me antibiotics for it for 6 days...Augmentin...which is a combination of Amoxycillan and clavulan acid...1g mornings...1g nights. K.

3 hours later...that thursday night....the gum around the tooth felt like he was actually drilling it after the novocaine wore off. Could not drive. Shooting bullets of pain. Thought I was going crazy. Couple hours later went away, but the area around the tooth felt swollen. All he did was inject me!!!!!

OKAY HERE IS MY QUESTION

*****He got me big time with a ligajet...a teeny short needle, maybe a 1/4 inch long...several DEEP times right at the tooth-gumline of that bottom tooth. He pushed it hard. I know he was frustrated and felt he was humoring me...but öalkdsjföalksdjfölkja I cannot believe it still hurt, those injections.

*****Also, the gum now under that tooth, the day after (from Friday) is a bubble or so..can see it in my jaw.

SOOOOOOOOOO......

The bubble happened from Friday night.
Today, Monday, I have that cold pain again, which had begun to get better yesterday after the antibiotics. My jaw is throbbing again too...

I still have 2 more days, til Wednesday, of the antibiotics. Next appointment is Friday.

SHOULDN'T THIS BE GETTING BETTER?????
AND WHAT IS THE REAL SOURCE OF THAT BUBBLE WHILE ON ANTIBIOTICS????

Get another dentist???

I have been living in this nightmare pain for a couple months now and just have nobody who is helping me. Just costs me more money for endless pain.

I don't want to go back...i am so scared of so much pain and people treating me like an animal in the zoo.

Heather

Last edited by heatherz; 05-30-2005 at 07:33 AM. Reason: missspell in title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2005, 08:11 PM   #2

indy gal HB User
Re: Absess After Root Canal And Antibiotics Pain Returning

It either sounds like you have an abscess or the root canal was not completely successful and maybe a canal was missed. I had both things happen to me, and remember the pain very well. When they see you on Friday, if they confirm either of those things then you will have to have it treated somehow.

Maybe you'll be lucky and by now the antibiotics have helped, but if it is an abscess, antibiotics alone will more than likely not clear it up.

Closed Thread