It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
(female)

karen7 HB User
Progression Of Clot After Extraction

I had two lower molars extracted yesterday, side by side (not wisdom). I know about dry socket and am following every instruction, also on penicillin.The clot now looks dark red with some white around the edges. I go to the oral surgeon in a week to have the stitch removed. How long does the clot stay there? What changes does it go through? Despite the precautions I am following, I fear getting dry socket because they are lower teeth. If anyone knows what changes will take place before I see the normal color of the gum again, I'd appreciate your telling me. Thank you.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
Veteran

lateeth HB User
Re: Progression Of Clot After Extraction

I can only relate my own experience. My clot got huge where i had two teeth side by side pulled and it was so big it kept falling over the side of my tooth. Fortunately it never unattached itself from the hole where the bleeding was. that is what i believe causes the dry socket, when the entire clot unattaches. But because my clot was in the way of eating and on the bottom like yours, the biting down of my teeth when i ate shredded it. So by the end of 4 days or so, i had shredded pieces of clot coming from the hole. Every once in a while one would break loose but the original hole was still covered enough so i never got dry socket. Early on I think my clot dislodged but it was still so early that it just formed another clot. You are probably past that stage by now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread