It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User
Had all Teeth pulled & have questions?

Hi
I am new to this site. I think it is great!!

I had all my teeth pulled 1 week ago today, went well to my knoweldge, I was sleeping! Didn't bruise and barely was swollen 2nd day I was eating macaroni on my gums!!!

But my question is......I keep reading about bone chips being left behind?
What is up with that, my surgeon never mentioned anything about that?

I have no dentures right now I am going in on Monday to do impressions and see how I am healing.
It took along time for me to do this. I am 28 and have had very bad infections/teeth for a long long time but I did it!!!!

Thanks for all the help this board is

Chatty

Old 06-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User
Re: Had all Teeth pulled & have questions?

Also my stitches haven't started to disolve yet and they are driving me bananas, is this normal? Also one mroe thing, should I feel my gums shrinking cause it's painful and a new pain, and my surgeon told me to watch for new pain....so I am assuming the pain is the gums shrinking......??? Tonight is the worst night since I did this last week
thanks...someone/anyone please help

Last edited by chatty8484; 06-03-2005 at 08:33 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
(female)

karen7 HB User

Hi. I haven't heard about gums shrinking. The first concern is keeping the clots intact in the sockets. I am surprised you ate macaroni since they tell everyone no solid food for the first few days. What do your clots look like where the tooth was? At first, they are dark red. Mine are now covered with a white/gray film. Your dentist told you to look for new pain because of infection or dry socket. When do you see him again to be checked, or have you already seen him? What are your post-op instructions? Please let me know what the sockets look like now. Good luck to you (I am also still having pain after 3 days).

Old 06-03-2005, 08:48 PM   #4
(female)

karen7 HB User

I'm sorry, chatty, I forgot your question about the bone chips. From what I understand, they work their way out. I don't know too much more, I heard they see this on an x ray and sometimes have to remove them but this is rare. Let me know how it goes Monday.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

HI
Thanks for responding!

He told me to watch for new pain I think for infection. I know what dry socket is and that way I am ok. But it just feels like my gums are shrinking and the stitches are getting looser....I don't know......it's just very frustrating!!! LOL
My holes as I call them look ok, they're closing quite nicely. By the end of the day of surgery all bleeding was stopped. I have about 4 spots where it's whitish/greyish gunk in the hole but I was told by surgeon that is normal, helps heal
I just worried when should the stitiches disolve? It looks/feels like I have at least a million and one!!!
Oh and he didn't tell me I had to see him again.....is that normal?

I hope all goes good for you!! are you in much pain?

chatty

Last edited by chatty8484; 06-03-2005 at 09:03 PM.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:03 PM   #6
(female)

1blueangelz HB User

When I had my wisdom teeth pulled about 1 or 2 weeks after on both bottom sides I started feeling little sharp pieces back there. It doesnt hurt as they work out and they will just come out. But yes you can get bone chips but they don't hurt.

Old 06-03-2005, 11:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

From what my dentist told me that bone spurs occur at least 50% of the time. Most of the time it is when either several teeth are extracted at one time or when it was a difficult extraction, usually a molar, and the small bone fragments that are normally holding the tooth in position are knocked loose and now that the swelling is going down they are working there way out.

I have had several of these bone spurs. I had all my teeth extracted on May 4th. A few have been quite painful, they were in the front on the bottom and any moment of my lower lip caused a sharp pain in that area and I was cutting up the inside of my lip. My dentist gave me a local shot, lasered the area and when the novicaine wore off it was tender but nowhere near as painful as before. The other ones have been in various areas and nothing to bad, a couple I pulled out myself with a pair of tweezers, and by slightly running my fingernail over the area and working the piece out. Another poster from a different thread told me about her chewing gum to help remove one she had in the back of her mouth, I also tried it and it worked but boy were my gums really sore afterwards.

I would ask your dentist to help you remove any if they are really bothering you. From what I have read and been told they will either work their way out or the body will absorb them.

My stitches really annoyed me too, I would have this piece hanging there and of course my busybody tongue just had to play with them. My dentist removed quite a few of mine that were lose on my first visit back 2 days lafter my surgery. He then removed some that following week. The rest came out on there own with a little assistance from that darn tongue.

I hope that you are feeling better, and just think you are going to have an awsome smile when this is all over.

Casey

Old 06-03-2005, 11:56 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

Thanks for all the kind words and other peoples stories, I love hearing them

I was thinking today I can't believe I paid $3500.00 to be sitting here in this much discomfort, I should of went on a trip, but no I know it's all worth it, I can't wait to smile, I haven't done that in years!!!

Chatty

Old 06-04-2005, 08:30 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

Just thinking again out loud...lol.....do you think maybe I won't get bone chips because they did surgery to remove all my teeth.
I ask that cause I was told from a friend who had oral surgey that when you get knocked out for it 99.9% they will scrape your bone and remove any bone chips?

I swear the day of surgery and the 3 or 4 days after was easier then now,lol OK thanks again....I love this site!!!! I stayed up till 3am the other day reading

Chatty

Closed Thread