It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

HopingChris HB User
Question laughing gas & children?

My daughter is fixing to turn 5 in 2 weeks. The week before her birthday she is going to the dentist to have a tooth drilled (small cavity) but she won't let the dentist do it with a needle so they are giving her laughing gas. Does anyone know anything about laughing gas & children? I am worried for her. She being my youngest. The dentist prescribed a teaspoon of valium a hour before the visit to calm her. I would be greatful for any info.

Chris

Old 06-04-2005, 06:51 PM   #2

bdtx82 HB User
Re: laughing gas & children?

I don't know how much this helps, but I had laughing gas several times as a child (I think twice at age 5, and then when I was older) before having surgeries. From everything that I know about it, nitrous oxide is very safe so your daughter should be fine! I know that as soon as they take away the gas, the effects stop almost instantly so you don't need to worry about it affecting her long term. I'm sure the dentist could answer your questions though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I too had it as a child whenever I had fillings and it was wonderful. I would actually question the need for the valium if she is having the laughing gas. It starts to work almost instantly as soon as they begin.

Nancy

Old 06-05-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

My daughter is 3.5 and she gets laughing gas and does just fine from that only. Our dentist would never ever recommend a young child taking valium.....no drugs for that matter The laughing gas is great does the trick perfectly

Chatty

Old 06-08-2005, 01:58 AM   #5
Veteran

lateeth HB User

Hoping Chris, I had laughing gas as a child to have my teeth pulled. The name of it made me unafraid. I was not quite as young as 5 at the time. I cannot remember if i ever had cavities at 5 but i was a child before flouride so we all had lots of cavities in those days. I never had anything except holding and squeezing my moms hand when i felt pain. Today the drills are so much faster and better than they were when i was a child. All my friends had novacaine but my family was never taught to fear the dentist so we didn't. In fact, I never had novacaine until last year when i had severe periodonatal disease at age 57. I had several crowns put on au natural. I am sure that my pain threshold in higher(or is it lower?) than most but i really think that much of the pain of dentistry is the expectation and fear people build up from stories they hear. If you tell your children it will be painful then they will be scared, tense and they will definitely feel pain. I am not saying not to warn them but i think you should do this in a gentle, matter of fact way and use non threatening words.

Old 06-08-2005, 09:41 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

Good adivce lateeth
Thanks

Old 06-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
(female)

cinnamoroll0913 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopingChris
My daughter is fixing to turn 5 in 2 weeks. The week before her birthday she is going to the dentist to have a tooth drilled (small cavity) but she won't let the dentist do it with a needle so they are giving her laughing gas. Does anyone know anything about laughing gas & children? I am worried for her. She being my youngest. The dentist prescribed a teaspoon of valium a hour before the visit to calm her. I would be greatful for any info.

Chris

They called it laughing gas but actually it's nitrous oxide NO2, it does not make you laugh, just relaxes you and make you wanna sleep. the effect is very temporaily, soon after the nitrous is turned off, everything will be the same again. no big deal, pls don't worried. NO2 is widely used on children in dentistry. Sorry to say but sometimes that's the only way to get the work done on kids - use sedation

Closed Thread