It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
(female)

Kristi1972 HB User
Exclamation Abnormal bone growth in upper and lower jaws...

What can it be?

There appears to be serious and sudden bone growth in first my upper, then lower jaw below the gum line and about where the deep roots of the teeth rest. I have never noticed such pronounced ridges before and now the appearance of my mouth is almost alien.

Before the growth in my lower jaw occurred, I went to a dentist near my former residence - about three months ago. I told the hygenist I was concerned about the startling appearance of my upper jaw - a raised ridge of what felt like bone well over 1/4" deep and running the length of both sides of my jaw along the molars. She said that a small percentage of people have excess bone there, she laughed a bit and asked if I hadn't noticed it before. I felt a bit embarrassed and thought perhaps I was overreacting.

Now I know I'm not. These dramatic ridges are now appearing in my lower jaw - the growth of which is incredibly fast and has occurred in only the last two weeks. There is no pain or swelling - except for the growth of what appears to be bone! Pretty crazy.

I am going to a new dentist in two days who is going to check me out, but am wondering if any of you guys can help me. I have scoured the internet and the closest thing I can find is a possible growth hormone imbalance from the pesky pituitary. However, related symptoms - larger fingers, swollen feet - have not happened... it is just the sudden growth of bone at the gums.

Help!

Thanks a million!

Kristi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 01:10 PM   #2
(male)

parabellum HB User
Re: Abnormal bone growth in upper and lower jaws...

bone just can't grow that fast.
it is called torus / exostosis (spell?) and is pretty common (not rare at all).
most people don't even know they have these untill someone points out to them.
afterward, some people go crazy feeling them with tongue etc.

if it bothers you so much, goto a oral surgeon, and they will be glad to remove it for you.
its simple safe procedure, since there is no nerve/blood vessel going through them.

it's just a over growth of bone.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
(female)

Cookie531 HB User

I had them, they're called tori. I had them removed but they can grow back, however not nearly as fast as you're describing. They are very common.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:51 AM   #4
(female)

kusum HB User

Is this condition genetic?

Old 01-18-2009, 12:57 AM   #5
(female)

Tracyswellbeing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi1972 View Post
What can it be?

There appears to be serious and sudden bone growth in first my upper, then lower jaw below the gum line and about where the deep roots of the teeth rest. I have never noticed such pronounced ridges before and now the appearance of my mouth is almost alien.

Before the growth in my lower jaw occurred, I went to a dentist near my former residence - about three months ago. I told the hygenist I was concerned about the startling appearance of my upper jaw - a raised ridge of what felt like bone well over 1/4" deep and running the length of both sides of my jaw along the molars. She said that a small percentage of people have excess bone there, she laughed a bit and asked if I hadn't noticed it before. I felt a bit embarrassed and thought perhaps I was overreacting.

Now I know I'm not. These dramatic ridges are now appearing in my lower jaw - the growth of which is incredibly fast and has occurred in only the last two weeks. There is no pain or swelling - except for the growth of what appears to be bone! Pretty crazy.

I am going to a new dentist in two days who is going to check me out, but am wondering if any of you guys can help me. I have scoured the internet and the closest thing I can find is a possible growth hormone imbalance from the pesky pituitary. However, related symptoms - larger fingers, swollen feet - have not happened... it is just the sudden growth of bone at the gums.

Help!

Thanks a million!

Kristi

i have the same problem. im not sure if its tori since tori is on the tongue side of the jaw. mine is on the cheek side! is that still considered tori?

Old 04-03-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
(male)

barrick HB User

I have had this happen to me again for the 2nd time in about 10 years. This was a rapid growth. This may seem like an odd question, but are you taking or drinking Slim Fast products, currently or recently?

Old 04-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
(female)

kswanger72 HB User

k...i went to the dentist for my regular check up and i was never told this before, but first the hygentist and then the dentist who wasn't my normal dentist both commented on this bone growth on my lower jaw inside my cheek. I have seriously never noticed this before and now i am wondering did my other dentist see this and never mention or did it just grow like that since my last check up six months ago??? the only thing i have done differently is start using a testerone cream for the last two weeks. Stranger yet, my name is also Kristy and I was born in 1972 as well...this is really wigging me out!!!!

Old 05-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
(male)

jel2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrick View Post
I have had this happen to me again for the 2nd time in about 10 years. This was a rapid growth. This may seem like an odd question, but are you taking or drinking Slim Fast products, currently or recently?
I have the same problem apparently but they never gave me any trouble until recently. It seems as if they've gone through a sudden growth spurt. My dentist has referred me to a periodontist for consultation and, as a matter of fact, I've been using Slim Fast bars for about the past month. Do you think there could be a possible connection?

Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
(female)

Atlanticsea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel2 View Post
I have the same problem apparently but they never gave me any trouble until recently. It seems as if they've gone through a sudden growth spurt. My dentist has referred me to a periodontist for consultation and, as a matter of fact, I've been using Slim Fast bars for about the past month. Do you think there could be a possible connection?
Hi! I'm new on this site and your thread seems to trigger more questions that I had before reading it. I do have what I think is a torus but my dentist has been very vague about it. He said that he can take care of it or he can refer my case to an oral surgeon... option that I would prefer since I had major problems last time my dentist did some surgery on me. What was supposed to be a simple wisdom tooth extraction ended up to be majorly infected (both tooth and bone had to be cut). Anyway, I thought that 3 months later, all was find but here comes that bone growth on my lower jaw! It is very painful as it is now sticking out of my gum and it is quite sharp. I haven't used any Slim Fast products but I've been using Ensure extra proteins to make sure that I get enough proteins in a day. It seems like those products (Slim Fast or Ensure) might not be so good after all if they trigger abnormal growth of the bones (what else can they do?)! Do you know which ingredient(s) can cause this? Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
(female)

tkarsadi HB User

My sister has this too. Did you get a reply as to what it is?

Closed Thread