It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Dental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User
Unhappy Help...these dentures hurt my temples....

Is this normal? I have such a freaking headache I had to take them out? I am so sad and confused and don't understand. My mom says it looks like they are to tall for my face..my lips barely sit together so I don't know but it sucks!!!

chatty

Old 06-18-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User
Re: Help...these dentures hurt my temples....

AAwww, Robin, I am so sorry that you are now in pain from the tops also. My cause me to have severe pain in the jawbone to, but I think mine is because my jawbone is still so tender and hates me now.
Do you have a camera? Take a picture of your face and then cover up your upper face from the tip of the nose up. Look at the picture not at you in the picture. See how they look then. Also find an old picture of you, and just look at your mouth, not your teeth. And on Monday, go to your denturist take the pictures and make him fix them. This is why I told you don't leave until you are sure that you love them. I wish that there was something that I could say or tell you to make it better. Take mom with you, she can be an extra voice saying that they don't look natural.
Oh and when you leave your regular denturist go to the other one and smack her for me. Just one good clean open handed smack across the face for telling you that its all in your head. Its in your head, and if she wants them to stay in your head and not thrown at her she better beware.

Have a wonderful day.

Casey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

After wearing an upper denture and lower partial for 6 years I had a new upper made. The bite was too high and caused me to get TMJ. I've been on a roller coaster ride since then. Get into your dentist and tell him they hurt. I kept going back for 3 months telling him they werent right and he kept saying "you have to get use to them" well now I have TMJ. You should not be having headaches and such pain. If your dentist tells you they are find, find a TMJ dentist in your area and ask him to check the bite on your dentures. good luck.

Old 06-18-2005, 02:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

luvtocamp HB Userluvtocamp HB User

Also your lips should close together naturally without force, as what I've been told.

Old 06-18-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

Oh wow thank you so much luvtocamp My lips don't feel natural at all!!!

Casey:
I did what you said about taking a pic, and looking at an old pic of me just my facial mouth structure is whacky/goofy looking, just off. SO far my dad, step mom, mom, step dad, sister, fiance & most important ME have said nope So we see on Monday.
I know I wanted to shove my teeth down her throat but they cost me to much!! I feel like dropping them and going oops shi* I need a new pair but then I would have to pay not them. I'm not leaving there monday unless theres a solution!

Thanks, hope you are having a great day

robin

Last edited by chatty8484; 06-18-2005 at 04:37 PM.

Old 06-19-2005, 06:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

tndollface HB User

Robin, I am so sorry that you are having such problems. I too was unabe to close my lips naturally. I took before and after pictures like Casey suggested and showed them to my dentist. He had to take alot off the front top of them so my lip wouldn't stick out so bad. Go back in there and tell them "fix them now" Good luck honey. I would be careful of smacking the other dentist though.LOL,it could end up costing more than the teeth, but you can fantisize doing it.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:32 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

LOL ya it could end up costing me more,lol but it'd feel good

I had a moment of brilliance last night. The girl who put them in my mouth did just that just put them on my gums, she didn't tell me to press down or bite down she just gently placed them in there except the top denture she pressed firmly on the top pallete thingy and I complained right away like aren't they supposed to sit on my gums shouldn't I feel them on my gums...why are they so big.....???? She says there FINE.

So it was last night I moved them weird with my teeth and had put my fingers in my mouth, guess what I pushed the bottoms down and back and they look 80% better and the top I can push them up further and back further then that girl did and so I sat there with jaw clenched so tight to keep the position of the bite and ran around the house showing my fiance and he said you would of thought it was a new set of dentures because they looked so much better but........then I open my mouth and they pop up and the tops fall down? So DUH they don't FIT...right!!! Wouldn't ya say?
But I guess when I was there & they were just floating on my gums, I guess she figured I should of known how to do this or something?

So it makes me feel to good to confirm like realy confirm it's NOT ME!!!! And when I had them all palced in my mouth iitially they weren't even really in!

chatty

Last edited by chatty8484; 06-19-2005 at 08:40 AM.

Old 06-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

She didn't help you fit them or show you how to do any of that? What exactly did she do? How did she think you were suppose to get this information? I am so disappointed in the dental field lately. I have read on so many different boards and posts how the dentist, their assistants and other staff don't tell the patient anything, and when a question is asked they look at you like, Are you questioning me?

Good Luck tomorrow at your appointment, and don't let them tell you that they look good, make sure you think they do and that they fit.

Casey

Old 06-19-2005, 06:02 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

Problem: Ya the only thing she did was place them in my mouth, the uppers she pressed on the roof of it but I figured it out they were too far forward and not resting on my gums.
I had the impressions done when I was 10 days post op, so I have shrunk since then. When she put them in me she said oh they fit perfect I can't believe you havent shrunken since the impressions? I was thinking in my head like oh I have so shrunk...my first mistake! But I did speak up thay my face it to tall it hurts and the dentures are pulling my upper jaw and bottom forward, no they are perfect she says again.

Conclusion: She doesn't know what she is doing!!!!

SOlution:So I have to put the upper in, press where the four front teeth are and push the denture back until I can feel it touch the front of my gums where your hangy thingy is on your lip...ya know what/where I mean right,lol then push them up.
The bottoms I put in mouth, push back on the front 4-6 teeth till I feel them hit my gums, then press down on the top of those teeth so the denture can sink in then push back more!!
I might have it mastered but......by the time I get the tops into place and start the bottoms the top have fallen down,LOL....so I don't know if what I am doing or the way I am placing them is accurate but it made my appearance about 90% back to normal

I know appearance isn't everything but I am a woman and ya we all are vain in our own little way, right ladies, lol
Still can't talk with them cause they move and pop up and fall down right away but oh well...? What can you do when you live in a shoe, buy a boot and call it a highrise...??? LOL
Mentally today I am feeling so much better I know there is hope for these dentures and me!!! Friday and Saturday was bad But yes anyways have a great day everyone and take care

robin

Last edited by Well-come; 06-19-2005 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Removed slang/cuss words.

Old 06-19-2005, 08:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

Hey Robin, Have you tried using any of the glues to see if they will help make them stay, that way you can at least smile and talk without running the chance of creating sore spots until you can get back to the denturist? Just a thought. I know that my gums are still healing and at 10 days post op were only half the way that they are now.
Does this woman just work in the same office as an assistant or is she actual licensed personel? The fact that she did this blows me away.

Good Luck
Casey

Old 06-19-2005, 09:18 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

Hi Casey,
She's a licensed denturist, but young, she was likely about 30 31 years old she said she's only been doing it for a while so who knows how long a while is. It blows my mind too..??

Just curious are the dentures supposed to sit on your gums, like you know where our teeth used to sit well should the inside of the denture sit on top of the ridge or gum....just trying to figure these out,lol
Thanks Casey

Robin

Old 06-19-2005, 11:33 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

CARAT414 HB User

I wish I had the answer to that, since mine are not regular dentures, especially the bottoms I don't know. Logic would say that the pink part would snuggly wrap the gum and ridgeline and the teeth would sit on the center of that to give the best support.
I do know that my bottom on the left where I still have a little bone, the teeth sit on the outside part of the ridge. If that makes any sense. If I were to cut off the part that wraps around the gum and bone and just set the teeth down they sit on the outside of where my real teeth extraction holes are. But remember, one of the reasons he has me not wearing the bottoms is because they are to wide for my lower jaw bone and he doesn't want to cause TMJ on top of everything else. If you want I will call him tomorrow and ask. He is awsome at calling me back and answering my every little petty question and not even giving it a second thought.
I am in Las Vegas, so I may be in a different time zone then you, his office opens at 7:30am here.

Casey

Old 06-19-2005, 11:51 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

Casey,
You are so awesome, thank you for taking the time to reply

I think we're right about where they should sit. What I don't like is my denturist with the bottoms is he placed the teeth in the front like where the inside of my bottom lip would sit....I know thats because if he placed the denture teeth where my original teeth are on the bone or ridge they would of been so short in heaight because my ridge right now is high due to still not really shrinking enough yet....at first I didn't get it but it does make sesne.

Don't worry about calling your denturist I thank you so kindly for the offer though....I go tomorrow morning at 10am so we'll see whats done or gets done so I may need to take you up on that offer Pray & cross your fingers toes and anything else crossable, lol

They are getting better. I need him to shave down the uppers at the top of the hangy thingy that way my lips can lie down a bit, I hope. My fiance swears I ran out and got a new pair made, they look like a whole new set, except the teeth issue and being loose I can get them pretty darn close to looking natural....now I just need them to stay that way. I am alot happier not 100% yet but tomorrows a new day. Rome wasn't built in a day and my mom says I was built backwards so I guess I'll have some patience...for now

The only worry now is I don't know how to smile and I am scared I won't be able to say my wedding vows with slurring and having a silly lisp That'll be next weeks problem solving!

Thanks again Casey, I appreciate it. I have got more knoweldge/help/info from this board & you awesome members then the lady who placed them.

robin

Old 06-20-2005, 06:33 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

tndollface HB User

Robin, LOL don't do it. I can't afford to come bail you out right now.LOL..
I don't have bottom ones but my top teeth sit right where they should. I do agree that you should try using the glues. I just started having to use the glues again after my reline a month ago, because they were starting to come loose and fall off my jaw bone. The glue works magic so I wouldn't worry about saying your wedding vows. You are going to make a beautiful, SMILING bride. Good luck at the dentist today.

Hey Casey, what do you mean that yours are not regular dentures. I hope that all is well.

Kim

Old 06-20-2005, 08:02 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

chatty8484 HB User

Hi Kim,
I couldn't afford to bail my butt out either that'll be once I get back to work, lol

I thank you for your warm wishes, I need all I can get

robin

Closed Thread